• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blank on one side of dime
1 1

16 posts in this topic

This coin has been heavily damaged. You can still see the vague design of Jefferson's head, albeit heavily scratched and worn. Looks like a 2016 to me. I don't know if this was intentional damage, or just unfortunate circumstances. Did you have any questions about this coin in particular?

If there are no violent objections, I am going to take the liberty of calling this the 2016 "uniface" dime.

All in favor, say Aye!  :roflmao:

Edited by Henri Charriere
Add date.

This apparent 2016-D Roosevelt dime was extensively scraped or abraded on the obverse, while the reverse was protected. I can't tell how this occurred in this case, but coins that have been embedded in another object or surface with one side exposed have been known to look like this. While there is such a thing as a uniface strike, this clearly isn't one.

On 9/10/2024 at 4:02 PM, ThePhiladelphiaPenny said:

You can still see the vague design of Jefferson's head, albeit heavily scratched and worn.

Correct, except substitute F. D. Roosevelt for Jefferson!

On 9/10/2024 at 7:00 PM, Sandon said:

.... While there is such a thing as a uniface strike, this clearly isn't one....

'ti's true.  The obverse was abraded with calculation and care for unknown reasons.

On 9/10/2024 at 7:52 PM, Rod D. said:

Probably got too close to a belt sander. 

It’s clearly been machined off. Why can’t people see obvious things?

I wanted to say dryer coin, but that raised part is too perfectly centered for that. It is possible this was an experiment with a lathe. Either way, it is post mint damage.

On 9/10/2024 at 8:52 PM, Rod D. said:

Probably got too close to a belt sander. 

i was going to say grinder but i can see where the belt sander would work!!  hahahahahahaahhaha

On 9/10/2024 at 11:56 PM, powermad5000 said:

I wanted to say dryer coin, but that raised part is too perfectly centered for that. It is possible this was an experiment with a lathe. Either way, it is post mint damage.

The raised part could just be the high spot pivot point it got stuck in the dryer, and round and round it went. lol

On 9/11/2024 at 7:20 AM, J P M said:

The raised part could just be the high spot pivot point it got stuck in the dryer, and round and round it went. lol

Yep

On 9/11/2024 at 7:20 AM, J P M said:

The raised part could just be the high spot pivot point it got stuck in the dryer, and round and round it went.

Problem is I see absolutely no evidence of damage to the rear so if this was rolling around in a dryer situation the reverse would have at least a little damage. Sorry but I am sticking to my analysis.

On 9/10/2024 at 7:00 PM, Sandon said:

This apparent 2016-D Roosevelt dime was extensively scraped or abraded on the obverse, while the reverse was protected. I can't tell how this occurred in this case, but coins that have been embedded in another object or surface with one side exposed have been known to look like this. While there is such a thing as a uniface strike, this clearly isn't one.

Correct, except substitute F. D. Roosevelt for Jefferson!

Oh my, did I type that!? lol