• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

INDISPENSABILITY
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I did not think this would be an appropriate topic for Newbies so I took the liberty of posting it here [at the discretion of Moderation].

Are you indispensable?  Is there anyone in numismatics you feel is indispensable?  Is there a member you feel is indispensable in some way?  We have acknowledged the loss of some members would have on the hobby, but, like the world in which it operates, it moves on.

To make this easy, I will state with great confidence that I am not indispensable.  Not because the Forum deported me and managed very well without me, thank you very much, but because someone with an interest in gold roosters may or may not pick up where I left off. It will not be a catastrophic loss.  Some losses are felt greater than others.  One member, seized with the thought of "losing" his monumental thread, proceeded to back it up. (He even petitioned the Website Coordinator, for an exemption!)  (thumbsu

I would be curious to know who you regard as "indispensable" -- and why.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Routine spiffying up.

Nobody, ever. Never will be, either. The hobby is not in danger, as long as we hold on to long held standards, and avoid change for its own sake. Change is fine, as long as it moves the hobby forward.

This may come as a surprise to some, but I regard the following nuts-and-bolts members as indispensable, whether we hear from them regularly or not.

@zadok. (most notable for using the word "sad" in 21 consecutive posts.)

@The Penny Lady  (for bringing something home to me and the lurkers I had only heard or read about.)

@Sandon. (He carries the key to the ignition switch.)

@RWB       @GoldFinger1969  (the author/reader dynamic here is extraordinarily rare + the positive exuberance the latter exudes eludes definition.)

@Just Bob  (self-taught go-to person on a specific area of specialization: the tokens of the Magnolia State.)

@VKurtB. (No other member here or anywhere else has gone the lengths he has, world-wide, to simply give a coin a once-over.)

@Buffalo Head & @Lem E a dynamic duo the likes of which are truly unique. Stunning photography!

@denaThe Ground Traffic Controller who arranged for my extradition, a special thanks.

Note:  If it appears you've been overlooked, take solace in the fact I simply haven't gotten to you yet.  🤣

Edited by Henri Charriere
Routine die polishing

You have heard about the "untouchables" and "undesirables."

This the 2d installment of members who have made the Forums what they are: the INDISPENSABLES...

@Hoghead515 : humble, honest, hard-working, modest, in short, a great man!

@Mr.Bill347 unfailingly polite, bird- and family man.

@MarkFeld consummate gentleman.

@Conder101 gives it to you straight: helpful & knowledgeable.

@physics-fan3.14 :  MIA. 🤣

@ Guest :  He and his clan dominate the Board and its members as much as 30:1 depending on time of day.

@ Ratzie33: We will never know the final disposition of his rare, find-of-the-century.

@Mike Meenderink  :  creative genius and possible Mad Scientist.  🤣

@powermad5000 :  Mr. Authenticity. Accepts no wooden nickels.  🤣

@Greenstang : gives it to you raw, short and simple.

@MAULEMALL : MIA;  had a great sense of humor!

(TO BE CONTINUED AT THE DISCRETION OF MODERATION.)

I notice from your list, that each individual has their own shoes to fill so to speak, and combined, make this forum what it is.

Over centuries, historians, collectors, those employed to make such pieces, authors, artists have all passed on. The hobby is still standing and I believe progressing no matter how slow that may be.

I, myself, know darn well that I am not "indispensable". When I first found this forum I was totally intimidated. Sure, I collected for decades and knew "some", but I knew from the get go that I didn't know everything. I often wondered and still do if people were saying to themselves "Who the heck is this guy who just showed up here?". I stuck around to learn and I have and I am still doing that. Maybe it is just the way my life has been, but I think if I were to not be on here suddenly that nobody would give a rats a^^ and I say that not looking for any ataboys.

I miss posts from Hoghead and EagleRJO.

On 9/4/2024 at 8:58 PM, VKurtB said:

Nobody, ever. Never will be, either. The hobby is not in danger, as long as we hold on to long held standards, and avoid change for its own sake. Change is fine, as long as it moves the hobby forward.

I agree with this and hope these new generations don't get their fingers into it and have to do like they have done with other things (the Mass for one - over 2000 years and suddenly it has been being done wrong, and I'm not sorry but the word "consubstantial" was NOT being used 2000 years ago!)   If they are willing to take a stand on all the scammers online and fix that, then I am all for it.

On a side note, I was in Costco today and saw a case of Paulaner Munchen Oktoberfest and it made me think of you.  B|

On 9/11/2024 at 2:49 PM, powermad5000 said:

I agree with this and hope these new generations don't get their fingers into it and have to do like they have done with other things (the Mass for one - over 2000 years and suddenly it has been being done wrong, and I'm not sorry but the word "consubstantial" was NOT being used 2000 years ago!)   If they are willing to take a stand on all the scammers online and fix that, then I am all for it.

On a side note, I was in Costco today and saw a case of Paulaner Munchen Oktoberfest and it made me think of you.  B|

The night of my first full day in Berlin is now set. I will be attending a concert at the Berliner Philharmoniker concert hall. 

Edward Elgar
Concerto for Violin and Orchestra in B minor, op. 61

Frank Peter Zimmermann violin

Interval

Jean Sibelius
Lemminkäinen Suite, op. 22

The coin show starts the next morning.

Edited by VKurtB