• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could this 1982 d be the small date holy grail?
2 2

28 posts in this topic

I may have found the holy grail of 82. 1982 d small date made on a copper planchet weight of it is 3.08./ Could anyone please share their thoughts on whether or not it is a small date and possibly DDO as well. 

IMG_2205.jpeg

Why do people find this so hard? If they can’t handle this one, one of the easiest and most OBVIOUS differences, they are going to be HOSED on the tougher stuff. Or is it just plain old “wishcraft”? I mean WOW, you can pick up the packaged “set of 7” for two bucks, in BU CONDITION (!!!!!) at nearly any coin show.

Edited by VKurtB

Not one that Sir Lancelot is looking for.

On 7/19/2024 at 10:16 AM, RWB said:

Not one that Sir Lancelot is looking for.

Are you insinuating that it is a Holy Grail.  

Not the one Sir Lancelot and the rest of the Python crew are searching for. Anyway, wasn't it Lancelot who came upon that happy convent?

As well as the coin being a large date, I see no evidence that this coin is a doubled die obverse (DDO) variety. There does not appear to be any known significant DDO variety for 1982-D large date copper cents. Where do you see doubling?   

Please see the following resources to learn how to tell the difference between doubled dies and the various "worthless" forms of doubling:

Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com)

https://www.doubleddie.com/144801.html and links therein

This is probably the most asked question on any coin forum and everyone gets the same answer.   
Without even looking at the coin, my answer was No it is not. I don’t know where people are getting.   
info from to look for one but the last I heard of the billions of cents minted, there are only two in existence.   
You would be better off spending your time looking for something you would at least have a chance of finding.

So, if she weighs as much as a duck and is made of wood, she must be.......

On 7/19/2024 at 12:55 PM, ShinyObjects said:

Here is my 1982 small date Cent on a 10 cent blank

20231115_202840.jpg.0238d481bce417aecdb1c91fb4f77f27.jpg20231115_202953.jpg.dab840ac24d272978db75a18115b7d79.jpg20231115_203019.thumb.jpg.06ca055412305b764ad3c3ded7da7612.jpg

Any chance you could post a picture of that that isn't sepia toned? I'd love to see what it actually looks like.

Let's see, I'll weigh out some chances of ANYBODY finding a third 1982 D small date transitional error cent. You have better chances of winning the Powerball or Mega Millions than finding one. The chances you will get struck by lightning in your lifetime are that you will get struck 113 times before you find a third one of these cents. The odds of being in a plane crash in your lifetime are that you will hit the ground or water 100 times before you find one.

Sorry, but I do not think anybody will find a third one of these cents and I think one's time is better spent not looking for one of them. If someone does find a third, I will have no problem eating crow publicly on here, but I don't think I need to worry about that. I hate to have to be this way when it comes to this, but I wonder with all the people weighing their 1982 D small dates and then chucking them back into circulation, that I bet some of them have been weighed multiple times by multiple people. Being how many years since the discovery and the sheer amount of people who started looking for a third, I would say a third would have been found by now and it simply hasn't. I just don't see it happening.

The first 1982 D small date copper was found in 2016, the second in 2019.  I have to admit the possibility of more in some change jar that has been accumulating for years, I've got a jug of change that has been gathering for at least 20 years.  I guess there's nothing wrong with looking as long as the person doing so knows the odds, and it's for the thrill of the hunt, not to get rich quick.  If I was going to search, which I'm not, the route I'd take would be to hit people up for their old accumulations.

On 7/21/2024 at 12:24 AM, David&KrisComics said:

Funny thing is I have something very similar to the coin however mine is a 1969-S Lincoln Memorial Cent NGC PF-66 Mint Error Struck On 10c Planchet, Obv. Struck Thru (2.3g) but you are speaking about a 1982 large date small date but I would still like to share my coin with you. So here's my coin for sale if anyone is interested I'm selling this one here for $7,250 if anyone is interested let me know thank you.

Hello!

This forum is for questions involving coins. It is not for the sale of anything numismatic. You should edit and remove your comment here and move it to its own thread in Coin Marketplace which is intended for those looking to buy/sell/trade coins.

I think your coin is cool, but unfortunately this post is getting derailed way off the original topic.

Edited by powermad5000

On 7/20/2024 at 1:24 AM, powermad5000 said:

Sorry, but I do not think anybody will find a third one of these cents

I agree. Folks have been looking for a third one for many years.

Just for fun, think what would happen if someone came up with a bank roll of these. The owners of the two that have been found would never stop crying. Thousands of new collectors would join the search and all the coin forums would be overran with questions. The hobby would be crazy for years to come. Lets all hope that few or none are ever found. Seems as if we already have enough crazy stuff going on. 

On 7/21/2024 at 6:25 AM, ldhair said:

think what would happen if someone came up with a bank roll of these.

This type of thing has happened in the past with hoards being found. Some higher end Morgans went through this exact same thing when the bank hoards were released and in some of the bags were found many MS pieces that were thought to not exist in those quantities. IF (capital if) even a third one would be found, the prices of the two known that have been static for so long would still drop and probably by the thousands.

Ok. So I'm new to this. I found an old tube radio in a basement I cleaned out. Inside the drawer were a bunch of pennies the newest date being 86 I believe. I can't see the difference in the dates between large and small dates sorry in advance. I did weigh both and both weigh right at 3.1 grams. Did I find a unicorn 😆 

17216967822358682127088160896465.jpg

@MrMoon--Welcome to the NGC chat board. It is preferable to start a new topic when asking a question about your own coins instead of posting a reply to someone else's topic.

Both of your 1982-D cents are large dates and extremely common. See the following graphic to learn how to tell the difference:

1982 Lincoln Cent Infographic.jpg

On 7/22/2024 at 8:08 PM, MrMoon said:

Did I find a unicorn

Sorry, but no. Both are large date. Keep playing the Powerball though! xD

On 7/22/2024 at 10:04 PM, powermad5000 said:

Sorry, but no. Both are large date. Keep playing the Powerball though! xD

Powerball is a certain winner compared with finding the 1982-D that seemingly everybody thinks/hopes they have.

On 7/20/2024 at 11:09 PM, powermad5000 said:

Hello!

This forum is for questions involving coins. It is not for the sale of anything numismatic. You should edit and remove your comment here and move it to its own thread in Coin Marketplace which is intended for those looking to buy/sell/trade coins.

I think your coin is cool, but unfortunately this post is getting derailed way off the original topic.

Well if you see I removed it from the page like you asked me to. Please keep in mind though sir I'm using a smartphone not a computer and this website is not so user friendly or ADA COMPLIANT for people who are going blind such as myself. So that being said if they have a issue with anything I have posted, them I'm sure the ADA would love to know just how much they are violating those issues! But I did remove it just so you know. Now I don't know if you yourself buy Lincoln Wheat Pennies. But just in case you do I listed a huge lot of Lincoln Wheat Pennies for sale on this website so hopefully you can see them and to be honest with you I'm trying to sell them and I would probably sell $130 face value in Lincoln Wheat Pennies for sale free shipping fees through PayPal invoice to anyone who wants to buy them from me for say $200 takes them all I don't want them anymore so hit me up if you want to buy a huge lot of Lincoln Wheat Pennies I am selling. Thank you..

1600 (2).jpg

1600 (4).jpg

530 (2).jpg

FB_IMG_1721371334477.jpg

FB_IMG_1721371339811.jpg

Welcome Dave, this post would be better served in the coin marketplace like you indicated in your post. I agree a smart phone does not work as easy as a PC on this site. My only other question is who or what is the ADA?

Edited by J P M

On 8/4/2024 at 4:59 AM, J P M said:

Welcome Dave, this post would be better served in the coin marketplace like you indicated in your post. I agree a smart phone does not work as easy as a PC on this site. My only other question is who or what is the ADA?

ADA = Americans with Disabilities Act.   This was enacted to require businesses to provide those with physical disabilities adequate resources, such as wheelchair ramps or brail plaques, so those individuals have access to the same areas as non-disabled individuals.   I don't know the entire bill but I doubt there is any provision that requires a website to provide any type of accommodation.

On 8/4/2024 at 10:45 AM, Coinbuf said:

ADA = Americans with Disabilities Act.   This was enacted to require businesses to provide those with physical disabilities adequate resources, such as wheelchair ramps or brail plaques, so those individuals have access to the same areas as non-disabled individuals.   I don't know the entire bill but I doubt there is any provision that requires a website to provide any type of accommodation.

Thanks Coinbuf, I was not quite sure what was being implied. I don't think Dave is aware we are just collectors on a chat board and have nothing to-do with, this web sites goings on. 

On 8/4/2024 at 9:45 AM, Coinbuf said:

I don't know the entire bill but I doubt there is any provision that requires a website to provide any type of accommodation.

The Americans with Disabilities Act was legislated in 1990. Many amendments have been made since. I believe this Act covers things like public health and welfare, building access, employment and some things in communications. Many websites have a tab or button called "Accessibility" which makes the website function different for people with disabilities. I am not sure if it is based on their individual computer settings or if they have to use the settings put out by the website. I do not know however if there are any actual laws requiring website content to be compliant and I don't think there is such a law otherwise every website would have to have a pop up box when immediately opening a webpage that would ask if you wanted to turn on accessibility settings. Thing is the comment was removed and this person went right back to pushing the selling of his coins in his additional comment which should be done in the Coin Marketplace forum.