• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Merc 16d?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Though only grading About Good, it appears likely that this is a genuine 1916-D "Mercury" dime. The mintmark appears to be the correct size and shape.  I can't retrieve my copy of The Numismatist from 1997 that showed all of the known mintmark locations for genuine pieces right now, but I will check it when I have a chance.

How did you obtain this coin?

On 7/8/2024 at 6:50 PM, Halbrook Family said:

It cost alot of money. Spent more then I ever have spent before. 300 dimes and 35 40% halves. Great guy. 

1916 D is a valuable coin. I am confused? So you traded other coins for this dime. Nothing of great value I would hope

35 of the dimes were not silver though sadly. 

On 7/8/2024 at 4:13 PM, J P M said:

1916 D is a valuable coin. I am confused? So you traded other coins for this dime. Nothing of great value I would hope

No I bought 600 dimes and 35 silver halves 40%

It looks like a legit AG 1916 D Merc as far as I can tell, but I also think it would grade as AG Details - Cleaned. Still an expensive dime and a key date for the series regardless.

Sounds like you have a lot to check through. Hopefully the rest of it isn't all cull.

Mostly 40's but there is a few 20's. Got the 1927d I needed to complete the set. Not sure I can afford to do much upgrading for this set. Working over the 32 - 98 quarters set. 21, 21d  and 26s is here

On 7/8/2024 at 11:21 PM, Halbrook Family said:

what is a 16d cleaned details go for

A 1916 D AG details cleaned Merc should go for about $400-$500.

Ah well, don't feel bad. I bought, among a few other coins, an 1894-O Barber dime in the exact same condition as your '16-D from a classmate in 1962 -- for 10 cents.  It appeared to have serrations at the top inflicted by a pizza cutter-type instrument. I believe the Red Book listing for it in Good condition was $25. I knew it was worth less and gave it away [possibly because I am a Virgo, and true to our purported nature, demand nothing less than perfection.] If I still had it today there is no doubt I would gift it to a fellow collector (with apologies) to fill a hole in an album. 

On 7/10/2024 at 5:24 PM, Henri Charriere said:

possibly because I am a Virgo, and true to our purported nature, demand nothing less than perfection.]

I also think OCD is part of this.