• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 P Dime Die Crack?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey everyone,

I have this 1964 P Roosevelt Dime, I am not too sure but I think there is a small die crack on the reverse side from the rim to the 2nd A in AMERICA.

Could someone let me know if that is what I am seeing? If, so is it worth getting graded?

Once again, thank you for feedback.

PXL_20240708_185644044~2.jpg

PXL_20240708_185634424~2.jpg

WIN_20240708_11_54_14_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240708_11_54_35_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240708_11_55_08_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240708_11_55_30_Pro.jpg

Edited by CommunicatorDan
Additional info

Posted (edited)

I am not aware of any major TPG that will notate die cracks for the Roosevelt dime series, especially such a microscopic one as this.   Die cracks are very common on almost every coin series and as such are seldom noted unless it is intranigral to a die state or variety identification.   That doesn't mean that there are no collectors for coins with die cracks, there are, but seldom would it be worth the cost to submit for grading.

Edited by Coinbuf

🐓 :  Hey, Q!  It's Monday!  No more laryngitis!

Q.A.:  THANK GOD!  'DAN, I thought you might be interested to know why it is virtually impossible to answer the simple question, "What would it cost to certify X?"  I saw a low-ball figure upthread and I find even member Sandon's estimates to be conservative. Then again, no one I know would dare send something to a TPGS, uncertified, unregistered, uninsured and throw all other caution to the wind. I take my cue from the fellow who, told his MegaGazillions lottery ticket was a winner, sent it to the state capital in a plain, stamped envelope. (Your hands are tied on the go-back as those choices are made for you: Registration, Insurance, Return Postage, misc. costs, etc. There is the equivalent of a "standard deduction" to cover the estimated Fair Market Value (FMV) of a coin whose value has not as yet been etched in granite. Don't have the slightest idea? Not to worry. An exceedingly polite staffer from NGC will contact you. If die cracks, hybrid mules and failed marriages (marriages that die'd) are your thing, by all means set those pieces aside. Plenty of room in this hobby for everything under the sun.  Happy hunting!

I have an 1883 Liberty Head nickel with Cents with so many die cracks on both the obverse and reverse that I think the dies probably shattered soon after the coin I have was struck. This amount of prolific and heavy die cracks was not noted by NGC. A minor die crack such as on the Roosevelt dime you posted here surely would not even raise an eyebrow at a grading table. I don't think it would get a FT designation and is in the lower end of MS so it might be valued around $3.00. The plastic would surely be worth more than the coin.