• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these errors a good find or are they pretty common
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I was just going through my coins and noticed the die chips but then I also noticed on the date that it almost looks like there's another number on there and I think there's a possible doubled die on AmericaI don't know look at these pictures and tell me what you see and what you think I'm just beginning in this

IMG_20240622_153111.jpg

IMG_20240622_153321.jpg

IMG_20240622_153338.jpg

IMG_20240622_152244.jpg

IMG_20240622_151516.jpg

IMG_20240622_153421.jpg

On 6/22/2024 at 4:57 PM, Emmure said:

Okay are they pretty common I'm still getting the hang of this and learning I've got so many coins to go through it's ridiculous but I love it

Sorry to say they are destructive to the coin and very common.

Aside from following the posting rules for this forum (obv and rev pics as noted by Coinbuf), what I can see in the photos is some plating blisters as well as some environmental damage in spots on the surface which will soon develop verdigris. Sorry, but I see no type of doubling on this cent on either side including strike/mechanical/die deterioration.

It looks like you are using a scope. I'll warn that use of the scope for anything besides variety attribution (subtle varieties in particular), use of the scope will take you down a rabbit hole you don't want to go down, making very insignificant things look like major issues/errors. My advice is ditch the scope and get a magnifier or loupe that is around 10X. A 10X is sufficient enough to self grade coins. Some will say 15X and I would say 15X if your eyes are a little bad.