• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bust half dollar has ? on obverse in from of liberty's chin. If it will get dinged for 'problem' i will not submit.
1 1

9 posts in this topic

It would be prudent to post the reverse of this coin as well for people to make a better assessment of it overall. 

I will state many of these Capped Bust Halves were cleaned at a time sometimes long ago. The yellowish coloration on this one I think is some kind of environmental damage. It doesn't look like toning to me. In front of the face, that could be pitting from the same environmental damage.

Let's see what some of the others have to say about this coin.

The yellowish substance looks like glue or similar residue to me. (Is it shiny under the light?)  You might want to try soaking the coin in acetone to see if it comes off.  If submitted with such residue, NGC would likely declare the coin an "NCS Candidate" and refuse to encapsulate it without your spending additional money on "conservation".

If the yellowish substance is part of the coin's surface, the coin would likely be "details" graded as "stained" or having "environmental damage".  The odd color might also be an indication that the coin has been "cleaned". As the coin is a common date that appears to have Choice Very Fine details, I'm not sure that the coin would be worthy of submission even if numerically graded.

In the future, you might want to post photos of both sides of a coin for a more thorough evaluation.

It would be cool to see the reverse but I wonder if all of the coin was coated with something many years ago. 

Glue of some type is probably the best bet. If I had the coin, I would try a bath in water first and see if that takes any of the yellow away. If not an acetone bath would be next to see if there is any change. Any of this should be done without ever touching the surfaces of the coin with anything. No Q-Tips or rubbing of any kind. Conservation is not something most should mess with. If you get it wrong you kill the looks of the coin. 

The cost of sending the coin in for conservation and grading is much of the value of the coin. 

SOME GOOD-NATURED RIBBING...  🤣

🐓:  Houston, we have a problem. Come in, Houston!

Q.A.  What's up, Ricky?

🐓  :  Guy says if his coin is dinged for damage sustained post-mint, he won't submit.

Q.A.  Tell me, in a manner of speaking, is he upright, blameless, and without sin... ahem, unlike us?

🐓  :  Nothing like us!  :roflmao:

Q.A.  No problem... Tell him to send it in with a red check mark following his name on the submission form.

🐓  :  Sounds highly irregular.

Q.A.  "ALL THINGS ARE POS-SI-BLE, IF YOU BE-LIEVE."  Submission got dinged?  Your faith is not strong enough.  :whistle:

DING DING DING. we have a WINNAH! Contacted company selling coin and they determined it was glue and they acetoned it. Poof oops that's not PC, abracadabra gone. thanks guys/gals (now that's PC).

On 6/20/2024 at 3:44 PM, MattGinAZ said:

DING DING DING. we have a WINNAH! Contacted company selling coin and they determined it was glue and they acetoned it. Poof oops that's not PC, abracadabra gone. thanks guys/gals (now that's PC).

I would have them send pictures of the obverse and reverse again.

On 6/20/2024 at 4:59 PM, J P M said:

I would have them send pictures of the obverse and reverse again.

That's a good thought. No telling what the coin looks like now. I hope it turned out good. 

Thats not glue that is shellac. Old timers would shellac coins to try and keep them from tarnishing and to look better. Over time it becomes brittle, yellows and begins to flake off of the coin. It does not adhere well from the beginning and as we know now is a terrible thing to do to a coin. Acetone will easily remove this substance. I have seen this on many old type coins. Cheers!