• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1935 P Winged Liberty (Mercury) 10c MS 67 - 68 FB Really? No way..
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Nice looking coin. Is this more of your Gramps collection? I would say you could get a 67 I think you would have to have some connections to get a 68 :roflmao:

Edited by J P M

On 6/2/2024 at 4:36 AM, J P M said:

Nice looking coin. Is this more of your Gramps collection?

Yes, these coins were collected buy my mother's father. Most were put back in the 1950s. I also have my father's collection which he inherited from his father. I have barely looked at any of this. From what I've found so far, my mom's father had a better eye! LOL 

Posted (edited)

I am a fan of these so I have many higher graded ones. I cannot tell from your photos which after this long you should know Mike that we always harp on fully cropped, clear photos to try to give the best accurate opinion. From what I can tell, there is some slight disturbance on the fasces and it would grade as MS 66 FB. Many of these Mercs have some slight issues on either the fasces or on the cheek. This is a really tough series of coin to get a high grade on, I guess due to the limited surface area on dimes and one little nick that would make little difference on say a Morgan dollar on this series of coin that same nick results in a one grade point ding.

I would surely submit this but don't be surprised if it comes back as a 66. Maybe you could provide better cropped photos of both sides that would make me change my mind.

I currently have one in grading right now that for all the Mercury dimes I have submitted over the years, this one I was not able to find a single nick or issue on which has been different from the "nice" ones I have submitted in the past. I can only wait to see if I get my first 67 on one of these.

Edited by powermad5000

Posted (edited)

Much of what you are finding is likely normal coinage plucked from circulation or banks in the 1950. It was nice but not exceptional. Now, the TPG fad has distorted common coin values by "evaporative reasoning."

Edited by RWB

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2024 at 12:32 PM, powermad5000 said:

Maybe you could provide better cropped photos of both sides that would make me change my mind.

1935 P Mercury Dime MS 67.webp

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Posted (edited)

I see the "line" on the neck that seems to go into the field and off the rim. It looks like a planchet defect and not a scratch. It could also be a long rolling bag mark. I don't think the 2 lines are associated as 1. So we will see I need to look into this coin more. The line is not really visible in real time to the naked eye.

Might be enough scrapes and chatter to be MS-63, and it has nice detail - but 1935s are usually found nice, as are 1934s. These were saved in large roll and bag quantities. They occasionally appear in large lots at auctions, even now. (Meaning the past decade...)

Thanks for the additional pics Mike!

I see some small marks on the cheek and neck as well as the line across the neck. Also it confirms the minimal chatter on the fasces commonly found on many of these dimes. Additionally, some marks on the rim of the obverse. I would say all that combined would give this one an MS 65 FB.

I may edit out these photos if they don't come up good as they are not the best but here is an obverse and reverse of one of my MS 66 FB. Maybe you can see the differences in yours.

PXL_20230730_004617916.jpg

PXL_20230730_003042431.jpg

After looking at the new shots I also would say a 65 is more likely with the bag marks and the rim dings, Sorry Mike just my opinion.

Posted (edited)

Someday it may be sent to be quickly overlooked by a relatively beginner grader, rapidly scrutinized, second opinioned, graded, labeled and given back to me. Then we shall all know what the Great Coin Spirit has in store for this little coin.

I hope you do submit it and get back to this thread with the results. It would be a good litmus test.

Posted (edited)

I will have to cop to a charge of "evaporative reasoning."  The coin appears to look a lot better from a distance.  I can definitely see why you would suggest a Mint State-67.  [I believe a -68 would be a wish upon a star.]

I believe having been infected with the virus that results in automatic incrementalization of coins via Sheldon has irretrivably skewed my ability to view coins the way the Europeans do: all grades in the range from MS-65 to MS-70 comprise a single grade, and that's that.

Realistically, while your Merc falls squarely within that "grade," having pored over the comments thus far submitted, my gut feeling is the reverse appears finer than the obverse, and may even qualify for a + grade (depending, of course, on which side of the bed the Grade Finalizer falls out from that morning) but an MS-66 or even MS-67 would not be unrealistic expectations.  It's actual collectors of this series who are better qualified to pass judgment on this coin. Worse comes worse, you have a very attractive "silver" dime and silver has risen dramatically.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Routine die polishing.