• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tell me this is not an MS 67 1937 S Buffalo Nickel...
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So far so good. No instant neigh sayers. Now this is a family coin. I just put it in my hands today. I almost fell over. I am seeing an absolute abrasion free surface. None, squat, zero, zilch....The horn and tail have no abrasion at all! The mint luster is full, even and undisturbed. Flow lines are spectacular. Strike is strong. Color is fantastic. I'm in shock. Someone please tell me I'm wrong. Please.....

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Nickels are not given high grades very often why I do not know . (shrug) It is nice just the one scratch in front of the nose

No problem: you are wrong; this is not an MS-67-S Buffalo. I see a '37-S Bison.  There now, feel better?

Seriously, consider your lovely example with the luscious, mouth-watering Buffalos we've seen from time to time on the regularly featured on the "Post your," etc. threads. As noted by J P M, nickels just don't seem to rack up ultra-high grades.  As an acclaimed Danny Downer, I would award it an MS-66, It lacks something, and the out-of-focus reverse, only emphasizes it: let's just call it, pizazz. Muted original mint luster.  To be fair about it, not being a collector of the series, I do not believe I have the requisite qualifications to pass judgment on what, arguably, is a fine coin.

If you manage to garner enough favorable reviews to your liking, then what, skip certification, grab a flip and write in MS-67 by a preponderance of viewers?

It's still early yet.  Let's see what the others have to say. Fair enough?  

In the meantime, wait for the after-shocks to stop and if possible let's see a nicely focused reverse.  

P.S.  I would really like to hear what another collector of the series has to say, and perhaps a word or two from @Buffalo Head @Lem E @Sandon and whomever else has experience on this.

On 5/29/2024 at 3:46 AM, J P M said:

Nickels are not given high grades very often why I do not know . (shrug) It is nice just the one scratch in front of the nose

I'm calling that a contact mark. I'd like to have this graded and find out if it is as high a grade as I think it is.

On 5/29/2024 at 4:39 AM, Henri Charriere said:

and the out-of-focus reverse,

If you click the photo you can enlarge in HD. 

On 5/29/2024 at 4:39 AM, Henri Charriere said:

If you manage to garner enough favorable reviews to your liking, then what, skip certification, grab a flip and write in MS-67 by a preponderance of viewers?

Sounds like a new grading system that is the old grading system.

On 5/29/2024 at 9:55 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

I'm calling that a contact mark. I'd like to have this graded and find out if it is as high a grade as I think it is.

A really cool old man once told me "If you have faith in it, do it." This way of thinking has served me well over the years.

The amount of luster will have a great amount to do with the final grade. My guess. 66 with average luster, 67 with great luster.

With this being a family coin, send it in. It's special.

On 5/29/2024 at 7:31 PM, RWB said:

Buffalo nickels from 1934 to 1938 still exist in large quantities (thousands of coins) rolls.

Of course they do and those are just the ones whose dates can be read. Who knows how many were used for their strategic value after the "...date that shall live in infamy."

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2024 at 4:31 PM, RWB said:

Buffalo nickels from 1934 to 1938 still exist in large quantities (thousands of coins) rolls.

Yea well TPGs have graded less than 400 in MS 67 and even fewer in higher grades. The coin in MS 67 is valued at $800.00. In MS 66 $110.00. I'll take either since the coin is free. There are not as many raw PQ Buffalo Nickels out there as you may think. There are many UNC /BU but few with the PQ MS quality of this coin. 

Edited by Mike Meenderink

You have a very well struck buffalo.  To be honest luster rules the roost when it comes to grading any coin.  It would be impossible for me or anyone else to judge the luster with these pics.  I’m pretty sure this doesn’t help you but that’s all I got. 
Happy hunting 

Posted (edited)

Mine should be MS 67 too but NGC doesn't think so and CAC thinks it's a solid or 'A' quality 66.

I also think my 1935 should be 67 as well but again they don't think so. 

1455399-1.jpg

1128706-1.jpg

1128706-2.jpg

Edited by numisport

Usually good reasoning prevails at the TPGs especially on the 35-D. The step up to 67 from 66+ on this one could be a 10k difference.

1455330-1.jpg

1455330-3.jpg

On 6/1/2024 at 8:15 AM, numisport said:

Usually good reasoning prevails at the TPGs especially on the 35-D. The step up to 67 from 66+ on this one could be a 10k difference.

1455330-1.jpg

1455330-3.jpg

Which is PRECISELY why any TPGS would be reticent to grant that upgrade. This is not some academic exercise. A top TPGS could be on the hook for the extra $10K. People forget that. 

On 6/1/2024 at 12:05 PM, VKurtB said:

Which is PRECISELY why any TPGS would be reticent to grant that upgrade. This is not some academic exercise. A top TPGS could be on the hook for the extra $10K. People forget that. 

This only supports my view that graders are also appraisers.  If am a grader, that should be my only concern.  Not who submitted it, how many had previously been certified or current FMV as compared to higher grades. That, ideally, should be the way it ought to be. EOM.

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 12:50 PM, Henri Charriere said:

This only supports my view that graders are also appraisers.  If am a grader, that should be my only concern.  Not who submitted it, how many had previously been certified or current FMV as compared to higher grades. That, ideally, should be the way it ought to be. EOM.

Of course graders are appraisers. Show me where any sane person ever disputed that. You at least have the integrity to argue that the world you desire “ought to be”. My frequent recent target doesn’t have any such integrity. He merely states that things ARE A CERTAIN WAY, when any fool can see they are not.

Edited by VKurtB