• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Sad Story of My Numismatic Friend

24 posts in this topic

Sorry for your loss Dan, I think we all have a friend like Jim, and we would do anything for them just because.

Sorry for your loss. You can feel good for being there to help him so many times. You never gave up trying to help. Not many would do that for so long. I'm sure Jim was very thankful to have such a great friend. 

I really ought to respond with a "no comment," as I have nothing nice to add to the conversation.  I am, after all, in the estimation of one member, a "Danny Downer," but that would only deprive you, the membership, of hearing what my upright, blameless and without sin" sister had to say in appraising my choice of girlfriend (briefly, a female "Jim" to the tenth exponential power).

I invited my sister to lunch in a "transitional" neighborhood undergoing gentrification and revitalization. She was then working at the city's Department of Investigation and arrived promptly and as one would expect in business attire.

She asked me where my friend was, a drug addict who had broken night and very likely was in a state of withdrawal, lying on a bench nearby.

She turned to me and with pronounced assertiveness said: "I'm not going anywhere with THAT!"  I told her she didn't have to, and quietly walked away.

Years later, after the woman's death, surprisingly not from a drug overdose or AIDS -- but murder, still unsolved from 1986, the matter was brought up, and this was her sober analysis upon reflection... "There was nothing wrong with her, but there's something wrong with you!". In other words, you come from a good family, you're a college graduate had a good job working on Wall Street, your own apartment, etc. "She is what she is and likely had always been... what's YOUR excuse?"

I had none.  End of story.

Dan, thanks for sharing your story. I think everyone has a "Jim" (and anyone can become Jim). Addiction is a monster that tricks the mind and takes the body. Once addiction takes hold, it can be very difficult to walk away. Sadly, like Jim... most never do.

Addiction is my biggest fear for my children. It runs in my family, and my father and brother both have addiction problems. The thought of them following a path of addiction breaks my heart. As a parent, this scares me to no end.

I commend you on staying true to your friend. This is not easy, as addiction leaves a trail of lies and misdeeds that can break trust in the relationship. I am sure these are feelings you had to work through. I am glad you were able to navigate your feelings in a way that allowed you to continue to offer love to your friend.

I am sorry for your loss. May you find comfort in knowing you were a good friend to Jim. I am also hopeful that this post will deter people from taking this destructive pathway through life.

Note: if you or a friend are going through challenges with addiction the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's (SAMHSA) National Helpline is a free, confidential, 24/7, 365-day-a-year treatment referral and information service (in English and Spanish) for individuals and families facing mental and/or substance use disorders. The toll-free number for help is 1-800-662-HELP (4357).

Posted (edited)

Sorry for your loss. A good story about a good lifelong friend. I'm 73, and have been surrounded, sometimes overwhelmed by addicted friends. I understand, and have my own stories about longtime true friends, but could never say it like you just did. Thanks for sharing. Sleep well, you were there for him, and he knew it.

Edited by RonnieR131

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. 

Posted (edited)

The tribute you wrote to your friend is one of the most moving things I have ever read. I understand losing good friends. It's not easy but it's comforting when you can vividly look back and experience those moments over and over again. Sorry for your loss. This story would make a great short story or mini novel. Possible working title: Boys Put the Coins Away. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Posted (edited)

Thanks everyone for the eloquent responses.

I have no regrets. It is unfortunate that Jim had the addition problems. I still wonder "what if ?", but there was not really anything that would have helped.

There were times when I wouldn't hear from Jim for a year or two at a time. I often assumed that he was dead. I am actually quite surprised that he made it to the age of 64. The items he collected became a financial lifeline for him in difficult times. If not for the hobby, I doubt that he would have made it to 50.

Edited by dcarr

I believe I would be remiss in my duty as a responsible, dues-paying member of this Forum if I failed to note the absence of comments from at least two well-known fellow members. Malheureusement, in practical, everyday terms what this means is they, and any others of like mind have irrevocably lost their misperceived privilege of criticizing the OP for his unique artistic creations for the duration, meaning no belated apologies or appeals, with no expiration.

This applies whether the absence of their remarks was inadvertent or intentional. Not acceptable.

This Topic has fleshed out, in a way no other can, the irreproachable virtue and undeniably sterling character of a man's innermost thoughts, feelings and emotions.

I do not believe I have ever experienced the rare privilege of observing anyone delve deeply into a more controversial but little-discussed subject matter than the OP related here seamlessly with intensity and sensitivity.

[Posted on the "It's Token Tueday" thread is a token I had taken the liberty of posting last nite which conceivably could have been used by the author of the book cited in that column. In the last line of the last page of the Forward to that book, he made an interesting observation:  "I have learned the junk equation. Junk is not, like alcohol or [marijuana] a means to increased  enjoyment of life.  Junk is not a kick. It is a way of life."  (Emphasis mine.)]

Any further comments I may wish to make must be respectfully withheld owing to Chat Board Guideline policy.  I thank the OP (whose works I find no fault with) for sharing his account with unusual conviction and compassion.

(Posted at the discretion of Moderation.) 

Posted (edited)

I have to hand it to Dan. I don’t have that much patience or compassion. My life had a “Jim”. My Jim’s name was Dave. I had to cut him out of my life completely and utterly. “No tolerance for foolishness.” Now I have a step-daughter and her husband bleeding us dry. They’re both ridiculous potheads. I may soon have to cut my losses and return to Pennsylvania full time, sans wife. I swear all those Boeing safety issues are because Washington is a pothead state. Move the airliner production lines here to Northern Alabama. Employers here still test for weed.

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/30/2024 at 1:31 PM, VKurtB said:

I have to hand it to Dan. I don’t have that much patience or compassion. My life had a “Jim”. My Jim’s name was Dave. I had to cut him out of my life completely and utterly. “No tolerance for foolishness.” Now I have a step-daughter and her husband bleeding us dry. They’re both ridiculous potheads. I may soon have to cut my losses and return to Pennsylvania full time, sans wife. I swear all those Boeing safety issues are because Washington is a pothead state. Move the airliner production lines here to Northern Alabama. Employers here still test for weed.

A bit off-topic but the problems of Boeing are being experienced by all airline manufacturers who outsource their maintenance inspections to countries where parts and labor are cheaper and rigorous standards are lax.

On 5/30/2024 at 2:46 PM, Henri Charriere said:

A bit off-topic but the problems of Boeing are being experienced by all airline manufacturers who outsource their maintenance inspections to countries where parts and labor are cheaper and rigorous standards are lax.

That doesn’t account for door plugs blowing out and landing gear wheels dropping off of Boeing aircraft domestically. That’s ALL hiring potheads.

I just read this post and am sorry for your loss. Whether our friends are perfect or not, they are still our friends, and you showed you cared despite all that was going on for so long.

I hope you can find solace in that your friend is finally released from his demons within and is at rest, the internal chaos now over.

On 5/28/2024 at 2:00 AM, dcarr said:

Looking back, I wonder if anything could have been done. ....But I never saw in Jim even a miniscule of regret or a desire in any way to change, even when he repeatedly hit the rock bottom of the pit.

Without the desire for change, change will never come. There will always be the question of, "what if..." but it sounds like you did everything you could have done. You were a true friend.

On 5/30/2024 at 3:16 AM, Henri Charriere said:

I believe I would be remiss in my duty as a responsible, dues-paying member of this Forum if I failed to note the absence of comments from at least two well-known fellow members. Malheureusement, in practical, everyday terms what this means is they, and any others of like mind have irrevocably lost their misperceived privilege of criticizing the OP for his unique artistic creations for the duration, meaning no belated apologies or appeals, with no expiration.

This applies whether the absence of their remarks was inadvertent or intentional. Not acceptable.

This Topic has fleshed out, in a way no other can, the irreproachable virtue and undeniably sterling character of a man's innermost thoughts, feelings and emotions.

I do not believe I have ever experienced the rare privilege of observing anyone delve deeply into a more controversial but little-discussed subject matter than the OP related here seamlessly with intensity and sensitivity.

[Posted on the "It's Token Tueday" thread is a token I had taken the liberty of posting last nite which conceivably could have been used by the author of the book cited in that column. In the last line of the last page of the Forward to that book, he made an interesting observation:  "I have learned the junk equation. Junk is not, like alcohol or [marijuana] a means to increased  enjoyment of life.  Junk is not a kick. It is a way of life."  (Emphasis mine.)]

Any further comments I may wish to make must be respectfully withheld owing to Chat Board Guideline policy.  I thank the OP (whose works I find no fault with) for sharing his account with unusual conviction and compassion.

(Posted at the discretion of Moderation.) 

Thanks for that.

My intention and goal in posting the story was not to gain favor or accolades, but simply to tell the story of Jim as a eulogy. And maybe it will help others with similar situations.

On 5/31/2024 at 12:49 PM, dcarr said:

Thanks for that.

My intention and goal in posting the story was not to gain favor or accolades, but simply to tell the story of Jim as a eulogy. And maybe it will help others with similar situations.

Analogous to whose situation? Jim’s or yours? Jim’s was hopeless for a long time. Yours was quixotic.

Dan your story is well written but heart breaking to read as well. As others have said most of us have family or know someone who has these problems. You have brought light to a problem we have within our family as well. I hope you can move on from this chapter of your life. 

On 5/28/2024 at 1:22 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I feel so crushed reading this.  This is one of my worst fears.  I am so sorry for the tragedy that you have had, @leeg.

Thank you.

Dan, please accept my condolences on the loss of your friend. Even though I don't know you at all, I thought this was both a completely heartbreaking story and a wonderful eulogy to Jim. It is testament to what a true friend does, far beyond the "let me know if you need anything" crowd. A beautiful if tragic story. I too am glad that now Jim is finally sober. Thank you for sharing this, and I hope it helps other people also in the throes of addiction. Kind regards, George

Dan, thank you for sharing that story.  Your words provided a perfect eulogy to honor your friend.