• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT DOES IT TAKE
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hi to All

Still trying to figure. Can anyone tell me what a zinc 1c coin must contain to be designated a zinc coin. Does 65% zinc 34% copper qualify?  Many Thanks

Posted (edited)

This is the composition that I am aware of, however, most of the time it is very easy to determine a zinc cent by how it looks.   There is really no way to have a coin with a composition of 65% zinc 34% copper, the logical explanation is the analysis was flawed.

image.png.3793e8580e15d8e665bb980aaa1becac.png

Edited by Coinbuf

On 5/23/2024 at 11:18 PM, Coinbuf said:

the logical explanation is the analysis was flawed.

...or, the data was incorrectly obtained and the analysis was flawed -- or  both.

Unless there are more data to be revealed, we'll never know.

A zincoin is not an alloy, it is composed of a 100% zinc core plated with a thin layer of copper 
so having the percentages that you have stated does not make sense.

Not sure I'd put my address and the amount of estimated tax I paid at some point out there on a public forum.

First of all, unless you want someone to steal your or your relatives' identities, I would definitely use the "Edit" function to remove the image of the estimated tax voucher.

This is the third topic on which you have maintained that your circulated, damaged 1982-D small date zinc cent is something special notwithstanding the opinions to the contrary from PCGS, NGC and members of these forums. After at first insisting that you had discovered the third known 1982-D small date bronze cent notwithstanding that the coin's weight was below the tolerance for brass (95% copper) cents, you now claim it's something special because an XRF scan--which we have pointed out analyzes only the coin's surface, not its core--shows a 34% zinc composition.  The coin clearly wasn't struck on a leftover 95% copper planchet or any other wrong planchet intended for some other issue of coin, which is what serious collectors would consider a significant and potentially valuable item.

You admit to having intentionally scratched the coin, which likely exposed the zinc core in the area of the scratches and affected the results of the scan. The coin could have also received "brassy", instead of pure copper plating, as happens sometimes, especially in the earlier years of copper plated zinc cents. See https://www.error-ref.com/brassy-plating/.  "Brassy plating" is considered by some a mint error, but it isn't widely sought after or valuable. See brass coins error or not. - Newbie Coin Collecting Questions - NGC Coin Collectors Chat Boards.  It only appears to be of interest in uncirculated condition with its original, yellowish color, not as a brown, damaged circulated coin.

As we have previously pointed out, your 1990 cent exhibits strike doubling, not die doubling.  As I recall, I have previously provided links to resources that explain and illustrate the difference.

"What it takes" is for you to take the time and make the effort to actually learn about coins and become experienced in evaluating them.  It would also help for you to listen to what more experienced collectors--as well as two major third-party grading services--are trying to tell you.      

Members here and on PCGS can give you multiple explanations, but only NGC can explain exactly what they did to get the measurements you posted. Please try to learn from members, not irritate them with Giuliani-type falsehoods.

I can answer your question to what it takes. It takes many years of reading and research and education on the topic of numismatics to learn properly what is and is not an error and what is and is not a difference in quality control.

I wholly understand and have much appreciation for your tenacity. It is an admirable quality. But in this instance it is only serving to further frustrate you. If you put this same tenacity into furthering your knowledge of numismatics, I believe it will carry you far in the world of coinage.