• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1795 Flowing Hair 50c
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Hi from the Newbie again. Does anyone know what the acceptable weight variance would be for the 1795 Flowing Hair 50c piece in VF25 (Guess) condition, as compared to a pristine coin (13.48g) ? I'm trying to decide if it is real or not. The diameter is correct, but my scale is inadequate (can only give whole grams)  and I'm waiting on a new one to arrive.

Thanks

1795OBV-50c.jpg.fd21e8d4acf884d1d3ce961892bfc941.jpg1795REV-50c.jpg.232bb52df01626e631416c1e94305a98.jpg

Without going to a scale or weights, I think your half dollar is counterfeit. I see many things happening on the coin you have, but some that stand out to me are the incorrect shape of the date numerals as well as incorrect details on the reverse that are not consistent with a genuine specimen. Also, there is a problem with the denticles on both sides.

In VF this coin would be worth around $4,000. Where did you obtain the piece you have and how much did you pay for it?

Hi Powermad5000,

I obtained this coin in a very large quantity of old copper and other coins with an overall investment of less than $200. I'm in the process of going through them to see what might be suitable for submission to NGC without breaking the bank only to have them body bagged.

thanks,

This coin is likely counterfeit, though apparently modeled from a genuine O-102. The odd surface texture and uneven wear are suspicious.

What does the edge of the coin look like?  A 1795 half dollar should have "FIFTY CENTS OR HALF A DOLLAR" with decorations between the words as shown on this image from NGC VarietyPlus:

4882138-002edge-817270-1611080795.jpg   

Almost ALL of these genuine coins have planchet reduction as well as die polishing marks on them. If you have one that does not show these genuine indicators it is a FAKE. Like the one you posted its way way off. 

Thank you all for your input ! I too am leaning towards it being fake. Sandon, yes it does have the edge markings. If the weight is too much off, then that would be the final nail in the coffin.

Again, Thank You to everyone for your opinions !

What Does the edge lettering look like.

On 5/20/2024 at 4:56 PM, Stagecoach_Rider said:

Hi JPM,

This is the best I can do as I have tremors from parkiinsons and it is difficult to hold the coin still ... Sorry.

CA240520_143030.jpg

CA240520_143102.jpg

CA240520_143130.jpg

CA240520_143158.jpg

CA240520_143230.jpg

CA240520_143259.jpg

Do not be sorry, those are fine shots

The edge lettering doesn't appear to match that of a genuine piece.