• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help in identifying the 1882 Morgan S silver dollar error
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Bought an 1882 morgan S silver dollar few years ago from an online auction. It was marked as a regular S coin but after receiving, I noticed that mint mark is not perfect. Not able to find any error like this online. What kind of error it is? Is it valuable? 

Coin1.webp

Coin 2.webp

coin-3.webp

Good photos. Well done.
The zoomed photo makes me think the mint mark took an external impact after the mint. It's not rare for an uncirculated Morgan to get a contact mark that slams right into the mint mark.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

I agree that this is likely a damage to the mint mark that occurred after the coin was struck, not an "error" or die variety. If the anomaly on the mint mark had been in the die, all coins struck from that die would show the same anomaly, and this should be a die variety listed on the vamworld.com site. The coin has many other nicks and abrasions from bag storage and circulation and appears to have been improperly "cleaned". 

On 5/7/2024 at 10:37 AM, Praneet sadana said:

Thanks. Will it effect the value? I think I paid like 30 dollar for it few years back. 

Nah. There are enough contact marks that I don't think this one rises to the level of damage. It's just a contact mark that happened to nail it right on the MM.

The mintmark is merely damaged. The coin is not uncirculated and of no special value to collectors -- unless it is an unusual die variety. (See VAMworld.com for info) The value is solely as silver, or about $21 at present.

Looks like its took a hit from something to me also.  Maybe been dropped or something at one time back through the years. 

Hello and welcome to the forum!

For the 1882 year, there is an O/S VAM with three subtypes but the O in these VAM's is the predominant mintmark with the S underneath and looks nothing like the mintmark on your coin.

I can see the top of the S and part of the downward slant of the middle of the S is lower in height than the bottom part of the S. Being silver is a soft metal, it looks like a hit displaced some of the metal of the original mintmark and caused it to look deformed. I think this would fall into the damaged category (not for the mintmark) and would receive a details grade for also being cleaned, at least on the obverse. I see some hairlines that travel in different directions and some deep scratches in the leaves and cotton bolls that basically erased all of the detail in the leaves and cotton bolls. I would say you paid a fair price for it, but in its condition, it would not have any added value.

On 5/7/2024 at 3:24 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Looks like its took a hit from something to me also.  Maybe been dropped or something at one time back through the years.

Nice to see you back! It's been a while.

On 5/7/2024 at 6:58 PM, powermad5000 said:

Nice to see you back! It's been a while.

Ive been very busy the past few weeks. Gonna try to stop in and visit more often. Bout time to slow down a bit and start buyin a few coins again.