• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help in sending coins
1 1

29 posts in this topic

I am sorry. I don’t know what topic to write in. the moderator can move it to the right one. I have a question, who can help, I want to send coins for weakening, but I don’t know where to start. how to submit documents, how to send and so on. If there is a Russian speaker, please respond. I don’t speak English yet, only with Slavarem. I live in America.I will be very grateful for your help. gennadii57@mai.ru

Welcome to the NGC chat board. I don't know Russian, but I hope you can translate this.

I assume that you want to learn how to submit coins to NGC for third-party grading. Please review the following pages on the NGC website:

How to Submit | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Coins We Grade | NGC Coin Grading Polices | NGC

NGC Services and Fees | NGC (ngccoin.com)

My Submissions | Account | NGC (ngccoin.com)

You should have sufficient knowledge about your coins to be able to determine that they are worth the cost of third-party grading. Many coins aren't worth it. You should also be able to fill out the submission forms properly. If you don't have this knowledge or ability, you should consider consulting with and perhaps submitting through an NGC member dealer. See Find Coin Shops & Dealers | Coin Dealer Locator | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Submitting coins for grading is an expensive process and typically most coins to be submitted should be valued at a base minimum of $100 while many collectors will only submit coins valued at $300 or more. The advice of @Sandon is very good and he is well respected in the forums here.

Just as a question, could you perhaps tell us what types of coins you are considering submitting and possibly post a photo of one of them here? If we have a little more information about what you plan to send we could perhaps be able to better guide you as to whether or not to submit them to be graded.

Posted (edited)

Hello powermad5000. First of all, I want to weaken dollars and halfs in the period from 1960 and above, since below 60 years in a good MS are expensive, in my opinion I would like to have coins in my collection not lower than MS62, but this is for a start, otherwise, of course, I want the highest possible grades possible. I want to have a good collection of coins from the country in which you live. Later I will post a photo of my first collection. with respect to the entire ghenadi collecting community.

Edited by ghenadi

Nothing wrong with collecting moderns and the fact that you are striving for the highest grades possible is good. Most moderns are not worth the cost of grading unless they are exceptionally high grades which would be MS 67 and above. My advice for someone who has never sent coins in to be graded, make your first submission small which would be 3 coins or less and see what grades you get back unless you are very self confident in your own self grading skills. Making a small first submission will give you an idea on just how good the quality of the rest of your collection is.

Thanks for the feedback, I was told that these are modern coins, that it is necessary to collect valuable and rare ones. but I think this is an investor direction. and I want to put together a COLLECTION, of course I would like to have rare coins, but I am proceeding from my capabilities. I have a question: what do these inscriptions mean -.... thanks for the answer. ghenadi.

IMG_1699.jpg

The numbers #61 & #86 are probably a dealers stock number

DDR means Doubled Die Reverse, a variety.  See doubleddie.com or varietyvista    
to see which variety yours is.
Struck Through is an error caused by something on the die ( grease, grit, cloth etc.).  
that makes an impression on the planchet when it is struck.

In my opinion, none of the coins or sets you have posted would be worth the cost of submission to a third-party grading service, including the ones that you purchased in NGC and PCGS holders. Dealers get bulk discounts for such modern pieces, they hope to make money on the few that receive "70" or very high grades for their issues (unlike the ones you bought), and they usually sell the others at cost or for a loss but still for more than the coins could have been purchased in their original sets or uncertified. These dealers also have the knowledge and experience to determine whether the coins they submit have a reasonable chance of achieving sufficiently high grades, which you don't.

Unless an individual coin is worth at least several hundred dollars, it isn't financially worthwhile to send it to a grading service.  You should enjoy your proof and uncirculated coin sets in their government holders, which adequately protect them and keep them in their historical context. You would have pay NGC a minimum of $19 per coin to have them grade and encapsulate these coins, plus at least $38 per order in processing and return shipping fees and your cost of shipping the coins to NGC. 

Your money would be better spent learning how to grade and otherwise evaluate coins yourself. (The purported error or variety coins you purchased in the cardboard holders may not actually be such, and the dealer may have been incorrect about them, in which case they might not be worth what you paid.) In your case, it is also important that you learn the English language well enough so that you may better understand books and websites in English.  Some of the books and other resources you will need are described in the following forum topic:

Thank you for posting photos of your coins. You have some really nice ones there! It is good that you are striving for the best examples you can find. It does take some knowledge to buy coins such as the ones you have in the cardboard flips and know whether they are valuable enough to submit them. This I stated in a previous comment. I do have some moderns which I sent in and they came back worth less than $10 USD which means the plastic costed more than the coin in it. Some of those I had personal sentiments involved, but as for building a collection, what I did would not be the best idea. As I have many modern coins as part of my collection, I will say it is difficult to find a modern coin worth over $100 USD let alone worth $300 USD.

As they are your coins, and you can do with them as you wish, I would still only submit 3 coins or less on my first submission and wait to see how the results return and see how your feelings are after getting those back before sending in many coins.

Thank you Sandom for your answer, I read your article with great interest, thanks for the links to useful sites, I will try to understand what’s what. But I don’t understand, is it better to leave what I’m collecting in the factory capsule? Sincerely, ghenadi .

Обрат

hanks to powermad5000 for the answer, I am of course completely confused by what I heard. Today a set from 1959 arrived, this is the oldest set I have. I'll probably give it for cleaning and see what happens. I will definitely report the result of my first experiment. Sincerely, ghenadi.

Posted (edited)

Hopefully it is the translation word @Just Bob. Like earlier in the thread the word weaken was used in place of submission or submit.

I am hoping this also means submit.

Edited by powermad5000

Please do not clean any coins and before you do anything with your collection you should check and see what the value is of each coin. I think you will see that many are not worth the cost to have them graded.

On 5/7/2024 at 8:45 PM, ghenadi said:

is it better to leave what I’m collecting in the factory capsule?

Yes, it is better to leave U.S. government issued sets like yours in their original packaging.

thank you JPM and Sandon  , this is a translation error, the word was meant SLAB. If I clean, I dip the coin in a thick soapy solution, leave for 4-5 hours and rinse under cold water, but these are coins contaminated with organic matter. please tell me the name of cleaning products for copper, silver and nickel.

I do not think you should clean any coins. You will change the look of the coin from the original natural look. Anything you remove from the coin will show where it has been cleaned, reducing the coins value.

Posted (edited)

Nice collection.

My suggestion would be to purchase these coins already graded from a trusted dealer. Most of my modern coins have been acquired by bargain hunting on auction sites.

Maybe you just want to experience the submission process. That is part of the learning but you'll soon find it a costly endeavor. The money you save buying pre-graded can be used to purchase more coins.

Edited by Teddy R

Posted (edited)

thank you Teddy R, I began to understand this myself, but like a small child, I love beautiful toys. and I consider it at least some kind of protection against counterfeiting. After all, this is a new topic for me that I don’t understand. I used to collect only Russia from 1700-1990.

Edited by ghenadi