• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1930 NM wheat penny
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Does anyone know anything about the 1930 no mint mark wheat penny? I have this one but I keep getting confused with anything about it or even if it has even a small value because I see them posted for different amounts of money and I believe mine is in better shape then most I've seen. Plus it looks like it is gold. I don't know about that one. I'd love any information I could get. Thanks in advance.

17146440771092773316626012961764.jpg

17146441466767613125859239602136.jpg

photostudio_1714680599243.jpg

photostudio_1714680710340.jpg

Edited by Teddy-Bear76
Needed better photos hope these are better

Welcome to the forum

In the future, please crop and rotate your pictures, it is hard to tell anything from those small pictures.   
A no mint mark means that it was minted at the Philadelphia Mint and with over 157 Million produced,    
they are certainly not rare. From your photo it looks silver but if it is gold, then in either case it    
probably has been plated.  There would be no numismatic value to it.

Welcome to the forum, sadly your photos are woefully inadequate for anyone to give you an in depth evaluation.   But what I can see from them and using your description, is a coin that has been plated in the past as a novelty item.   That takes all the numismatic value out of the equation and leaves you with a value of approximately 3 cents for the copper metal in the coin.

There is no way to opine on values you have seen online without knowing what and where you have been getting your valuations.   However, it is not uncommon on sites like etsy, ebay, FB and others to have sellers that post outlandish prices for common and even damaged coins.   Some are pure scammers out to land a big fish, some are just completely clueless and do not attempt to actually find out what they have or what it is really worth.

As already noted above the 1930 cent produced in Philidelphia is common and does not command a high value unless in exceptional condition.   This surprises many non collectors as many equate something that is nearly 100 years old as being valuable.   In numismatics the age of a coin is only one part of valuation, condition of the coin, rarity of the date, and survivability of the date all play a part in how valuable any coin is.

I will leave you with this screen shot of a 1930 cent that was graded by PCGS (in case you don't know PCGS is another firm like NGC) that sold for just $55.   That may seem like alot for a single coin but consider that the grade of MS65 is a high grade, and it would cost close to $50 to send a single coin in to be certified and graded by NGC.

image.thumb.png.2995044cc35cfd93acc5d1ec6a902b50.png

On 5/2/2024 at 5:45 AM, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the forum

In the future, please crop and rotate your pictures, it is hard to tell anything from those small pictures.   
A no mint mark means that it was minted at the Philadelphia Mint and with over 157 Million produced,    
they are certainly not rare. From your photo it looks silver but if it is gold, then in either case it    
probably has been plated.  There would be no numismatic value to it.

I put new photos up

On 5/2/2024 at 6:14 AM, J P M said:

I agree with Stang, also try to orient your shots north and south and use a white background to shoot photos it gives a truer color. 

I put up new photos

On 5/2/2024 at 9:49 AM, Coinbuf said:

Welcome to the forum, sadly your photos are woefully inadequate for anyone to give you an in depth evaluation.   But what I can see from them and using your description, is a coin that has been plated in the past as a novelty item.   That takes all the numismatic value out of the equation and leaves you with a value of approximately 3 cents for the copper metal in the coin.

There is no way to opine on values you have seen online without knowing what and where you have been getting your valuations.   However, it is not uncommon on sites like etsy, ebay, FB and others to have sellers that post outlandish prices for common and even damaged coins.   Some are pure scammers out to land a big fish, some are just completely clueless and do not attempt to actually find out what they have or what it is really worth.

As already noted above the 1930 cent produced in Philidelphia is common and does not command a high value unless in exceptional condition.   This surprises many non collectors as many equate something that is nearly 100 years old as being valuable.   In numismatics the age of a coin is only one part of valuation, condition of the coin, rarity of the date, and survivability of the date all play a part in how valuable any coin is.

I will leave you with this screen shot of a 1930 cent that was graded by PCGS (in case you don't know PCGS is another firm like NGC) that sold for just $55.   That may seem like alot for a single coin but consider that the grade of MS65 is a high grade, and it would cost close to $50 to send a single coin in to be certified and graded by NGC.

image.thumb.png.2995044cc35cfd93acc5d1ec6a902b50.png

I put up new photos