• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody Here Ever Do A Presentation At A Big Coin Show ?

37 posts in this topic

Was wondering if anybody ever did a presentation at one of the Big National Shows -- or even the smaller regional ones, assuming they have them there, too.

Anybody here ever do one ?  :taptaptap:

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 4/29/2024 at 11:32 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Was wondering if anybody ever did a presentation at one of the Big National Shows -- or even the smaller regional ones, assuming they have them there, too.

Anybody here ever do one ?  :taptaptap:

...basis for question?...just curious or some specific reason(s)?...ill await ur reply n answer thru private msg....

On 4/29/2024 at 4:15 PM, zadok said:

...basis for question?...just curious or some specific reason(s)?...ill await ur reply n answer thru private msg....

Just wanted to know who has done it....if they enjoyed it...reception...who they asked/approached to do it.

Was re-staring a primer on Saints I thought I had started during Covid but apparently either lost or can't find where I saved it (thumb drive or what ?). 

So starting from scratch. :(

Hence the inquiry. (thumbsu

On 4/29/2024 at 6:35 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Just wanted to know who has done it....if they enjoyed it...reception...who they asked/approached to do it.

Was re-staring a primer on Saints I thought I had started during Covid but apparently either lost or can't find where I saved it (thumb drive or what ?). 

So starting from scratch. :(

Hence the inquiry. (thumbsu

...usually the "big" presentations etc r by by invites...smaller regional n local shows combination of invites or knowing persons in clubs or special interest groups...n in some areas i.e. community colleges ask local individuals to make presentations on the hobby or in ur area of interest investment opportunities, some local attorney organizations invite to get current perspectives or trends...

I've done a bunch from local clubs to national shows. They are always fun to do, and I never had a negative experience. The most persistent problem was lack of time for questions. Part of this might come from having a living author present; but participants have also mentioned that they like not being "sold to" by people with a profit agenda who might give slanted replies. In some instances I've been asked to tailor a previous presentation for a different audience at a future event.

The most important factor is keeping the show moving forward -- you're telling a story and any good story has a beginning, middle and end. (This applies to coin books, too. I recently read a book that was so jumbled that it was difficult to understand what the author was trying to communicate.)

I also end by offering to aid writers, club newsletter editors, and people researching specific topics. This helps me share what I've learned with others and possibly improve future information presentations. It's also led to contacts around the world - and occasional opening of U.S. archive materials to countries whose own archives are incomplete.

Posted (edited)

I've done presentations before -- investing and astronomy -- so the speaking and slide presentation part I think I know how to integrate them.

I think I could do a decent presentation for beginners and intermediate collectors; not sure I'd have much to add for experts/advanced collectors but you can't please 'em all. xD

Like I said, just fleshing it out now.  Whether I submit it for a presentation down the line -- and when -- remains to be seen.  I'd be OK doing it at a regional conference or even a larger one like FUN.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Posted (edited)

If anybody wants to see my raw preliminary presentation and offer feedback, just let me know and when I have a 1st draft ready for review, I'll let you know.  Just PM me.

It is of course on Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles. (thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Posted (edited)

I have given six Numismatic Theater / Money Talks (name change) at ANA conventions. Are you an ANA member? Check and stay current with money.org. The deadlines for proposals is kept up to date there. When the World’s Fair of Money was held in Rosemont in 2011, 2013, 2014, and 2015, I was the ONLY speaker who presented all four years.  QDB was three out of four. 

Edited by VKurtB

Posted (edited)

Kurt, if I ever do a presentation on "Let's Bring Back The Gold Standard" -- I am going to make SURE you are in attendance !!  xDxD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 5/2/2024 at 12:23 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Kurt, if I ever do a presentation on "Let's Bring Back The Gold Standard" -- I am going to make SURE you are in attendance !!  xDxD

Great! I’ll be there, even if I had originally intended not to attend. That would be the kind of thing that could drag my kiester to Rosemont again, and that’s saying something. Leave time for questions. I’ll be slinging some. It was a presentation at 2010 in Boston that inspired me to get into presenting. Topic? Gold standard. Everything old is new again. I am a strict Keynesian macroeconomically. A gold standard is a sure path to economic destruction. 

On 5/2/2024 at 1:05 PM, VKurtB said:

Great! I’ll be there, even if I had originally intended not to attend. That would be the kind of thing that could drag my kiester to Rosemont again, and that’s saying something. Leave time for questions. I’ll be slinging some. It was a presentation at 2010 in Boston that inspired me to get into presenting. Topic? Gold standard. Everything old is new again. I am a strict Keynesian macroeconomically. A gold standard is a sure path to economic destruction. 

While I do find studying the Gold (exchange) Standard fascinating, I am just kidding -- I am not an advocate of bringing it back.  We see the problems with fixed exchange rates in the EU with the Euro.

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 2:26 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

While I do find studying the Gold (exchange) Standard fascinating, I am just kidding -- I am not an advocate of bringing it back.  We see the problems with fixed exchange rates in the EU with the Euro.

Or even with those writers who seem not to be able to tolerate a flexible gold to silver price ratio, preferring a fixed ratio of the distant past? Makes it awfully difficult to have a standard based on bimetalism, doesn’t it? Imagine trying to insist that both metals “are money” when their relative values jump all over the place. No fixed exchange rates between ANY two monetary instruments has ever long endured. Bretton Woods actually disintegrated mere months after its full implementation. Because it HAD TO. 

Edited by VKurtB

🐓:  Say Q, do you have any idea what they're talking about?

Q.A.:  Of course not... ignorance is bliss.  Gold Standard or not, the Rooster clan, of which you are a charter member, is getting close to twice what I paid for 'em.  One more thing, I never heard from HA in all the years I've been here. THEN THE MOMENT OF DREAD ARRIVED! Literally hundreds of lots were being auctioned.  Sad to say, HA's Want List is a lot worse than MA SHOPS. Seems a lot of folks are tryin' to git, while the gittins good.  'specially now that gold is high.  Only problem is I made my intentions crystal clear.  What I got for my trouble was page after page of unrelated series and denominations and the Roosters, while Mint State, were all bottom of the barrel: 62s 63s 64s...

Is this thing on?

Hey Kurt, do you suppose my heart could stand the initial 60-mph drop and twist and turns of the Coney Island roller coaster?  It's not even summer and I'm bored.

Oh sheesh!  Goldfinger!  Sorry 'bout that.  Carry on, gentlemen!   (thumbsu

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 6:30 PM, Henri Charriere said:

🐓:  Say Q, do you have any idea what they're talking about?

Q.A.:  Of course not... ignorance is bliss.  Gold Standard or not, the Rooster clan, of which you are a charter member, is getting close to twice what I paid for 'em.  One more thing, I never heard from HA in all the years I've been here. THEN THE MOMENT OF DREAD ARRIVED! Literally hundreds of lots were being auctioned.  Sad to say, HA's Want List is a lot worse than MA SHOPS. Seems a lot of folks are tryin' to git, while the gittins good.  'specially now that gold is high.  Only problem is I made my intentions crystal clear.  What I got for my trouble was page after page of unrelated series and denominations and the Roosters, while Mint State, were all bottom of the barrel: 62s 63s 64s...

Is this thing on?

Hey Kurt, do you suppose my heart could stand the initial 60-mph drop and twist and turns of the Coney Island roller coaster?  It's not even summer and I'm bored.

Oh sheesh!  Goldfinger!  Sorry 'bout that.  Carry on, gentlemen!   (thumbsu

I don’t know about Coney Island rides. I’m pretty limited to Disney theme parks, BOTH U.S. ones, plus a one time visit to Universal Orlando. I even saw, from a distance, the French Disney.

Don’t be bored. Boredom is a prelude to death. Visit someplace neat. Monroeville, PA in mid-May, Colorado in June, Orlando maybe in July, or even Rosemont, IL in August. I’ll be at the first three, but so far (things change) not the fourth. When is the summer Baltimore show this year? If I lived in NYC, you couldn’t KEEP me off Amtrak. Alabama is a passenger rail wasteland. For now. 

Edited by VKurtB

I need to thank @GoldFinger1969 for reminding me of something with this thread. I have a presentation on the Bretton Woods system already “in the can” that I have not used at an ANA show. Maybe Atlanta next winter?

On 5/2/2024 at 10:29 PM, VKurtB said:

I need to thank @GoldFinger1969 for reminding me of something with this thread. I have a presentation on the Bretton Woods system already “in the can” that I have not used at an ANA show. Maybe Atlanta next winter?

I still have to read GOLDEN FETTERS but I recall another book popped up on the web about the downfall of Bretton Woods.  Will look for it.

On 5/2/2024 at 10:15 PM, VKurtB said:

I don’t know about Coney Island rides. I’m pretty limited to Disney theme parks, BOTH U.S. ones, plus a one time visit to Universal Orlando. I even saw, from a distance, the French Disney.

Don’t be bored. Boredom is a prelude to death. Visit someplace neat. Monroeville, PA in mid-May, Colorado in June, Orlando maybe in July, or even Rosemont, IL in August. I’ll be at the first three, but so far (things change) not the fourth. When is the summer Baltimore show this year? If I lived in NYC, you couldn’t KEEP me off Amtrak. Alabama is a passenger rail wasteland. For now. 

...u going to monroeville? i think ill go n see ben n george n abe if they r all there....

On 5/2/2024 at 4:09 PM, VKurtB said:

Or even with those writers who seem not to be able to tolerate a flexible gold to silver price ratio, preferring a fixed ratio of the distant past? Makes it awfully difficult to have a standard based on bimetalism, doesn’t it? Imagine trying to insist that both metals “are money” when their relative values jump all over the place. No fixed exchange rates between ANY two monetary instruments has ever long endured. Bretton Woods actually disintegrated mere months after its full implementation. Because it HAD TO. 

...ill give u 5 morgans for ur half eagle....

On 5/3/2024 at 7:57 AM, zadok said:

...u going to monroeville? i think ill go n see ben n george n abe if they r all there....

Yes, my wife and I are going to squeeze in a Pennsylvania trip between her surgeries. 

On 5/2/2024 at 10:15 PM, VKurtB said:

Don’t be bored. Boredom is a prelude to death. Visit someplace neat. Monroeville, PA in mid-May

They were supposed move spring PAN show to Pittsburgh convention center … however Monroeville Convention center will still be open for May PAN show …. However the Double tree hotel next door might not be open if you’re making reservations …. They sold off convention center to make a Hobby lobby store , so hotel shut down already because of that … but for now May spring PAN show will continue as normal in monroeville 

On 5/3/2024 at 3:11 PM, Jason Abshier said:

They were supposed move spring PAN show to Pittsburgh convention center … however Monroeville Convention center will still be open for May PAN show …. However the Double tree hotel next door might not be open if you’re making reservations …. They sold off convention center to make a Hobby lobby store , so hotel shut down already because of that … but for now May spring PAN show will continue as normal in monroeville 

Newer news! From the PAN website:

Our May 16-18, 2024 Spring Coin Show is on Schedule at the Monroeville Convention Center as are all future PAN Shows!

Breaking News!!!  The Monroeville Convention Center will not be closing its doors through the tireless efforts of the Municipality of Monroeville, Pennsylvania State government, Oxford Development, and Hobby Lobby.  Our coin shows will continue uninterrupted as scheduled!  This is wonderful news for PAN and the Monroeville area.  There are now aggressive efforts in place to reopen the DoubleTree Hotel.  A new room block at the nearby Hampton Inn by Hilton is now available.  Please scroll down for the details and the room reservation link.

On 5/2/2024 at 10:29 PM, VKurtB said:

I wasn't aware the ANA was coming to ATL in 2025, but that's already five years since 2020.  

I should still be able to suffer the traffic on Day 1 (but probably only Day 1) to make it there.  Likely the only day I might find something I want to buy badly enough.

On 5/3/2024 at 4:59 PM, World Colonial said:

I wasn't aware the ANA was coming to ATL in 2025, but that's already five years since 2020.  

I should still be able to suffer the traffic on Day 1 (but probably only Day 1) to make it there.  Likely the only day I might find something I want to buy badly enough.

It starts in late February. If there’s ice, I might be the only one there who can drive in the stuff. 

On 5/3/2024 at 12:54 PM, VKurtB said:

Yes, my wife and I are going to squeeze in a Pennsylvania trip between her surgeries. 

...well i just mite run into u there if u r going to be there opening day, thursday...only day i can attend...its not a great show for non-US but i usually find something....

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 7:05 PM, zadok said:

...well i just mite run into u there if u r going to be there opening day, thursday...only day i can attend...its not a great show for non-US but i usually find something....

Mmm, I have always found something for my British sets, but beyond that…? I will be there all three days, judging exhibits. It’s a 720 mile each way commute. 

Edited by VKurtB

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 8:05 PM, zadok said:

its not a great show for non-US but i usually find something

When I went I usually found something as well for my German collection or a medal …. I used to go to PAN show in the fall time , I’ve been to the one in spring time only two times over all years … I might pop in for the spring show it depends 

I'm glad PAN show will continue at monroeville convention center , I’d rather go there than to go all way downtown to Pittsburgh convention center , fighting traffic bumper to bumper just to get back home with all detours and in Pittsburgh lately … some kind of roadwork going on just about every road I go down 

Edited by Jason Abshier

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 1:23 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Now that I think about it....if I do a follow-up talk, I may in fact do it on the Gold Standard and how it worked before...how it failed before...and why it could or couldn't be brought back today. (thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 5/5/2024 at 10:31 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Now that I think about it....if I do a follow-up talk, I may in fact do it on the Gold Standard and how it worked before...how it failed before...and why it could or couldn't be brought back today. (thumbsu

...hmmmm, attendance mite be low...u mite need to give away samples....

On 5/5/2024 at 9:31 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

There will be no shortage of attendees.