• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double Die
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I am new to coin collecting and am having trouble trying to figure out if my coins are double die.  Is there a good way to tell for sure.  I have some that show a silver off set to some of the lettering. I am attaching images of a 1989D coin is it a20240428_220827.thumb.jpg.3f915f935ce37e573a5b668e4c2b806b.jpg double die error.  Do double dies have a silver color?

20240428_222224.jpg

Nope. I'd say that looks like die deterioration doubling from the pattern. No premium applies.

On 4/28/2024 at 11:24 PM, peachyjo said:

I have some that show a silver off set to some of the lettering.

I think the silver color is exposed zinc due to copper plating issues.  Very common for zinc (82 - Curr.) pennies to experience split plating.

That is called split plate doubling, another of the worthless types of doubling.   
Also the correct terminology is DoubleDie and they are not errors but varieties.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Please post clear, cropped photos of each full side of a coin about which you have questions. Based on the current photos, your coin appears to have defective plating, not any form of doubling.

The following links may be helpful to learn how to distinguish coins struck from doubled dies from those exhibiting other forms of doubling, which have no collector value: Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com), https://www.doubleddie.com/144801.html.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

When I saw the exposed zinc of the core of the cent, and the way the "secondary" image is presented towards the rim, I immediately went to split plate doubling which is not a true form of doubling. There were many issues the Mint had with the copper plating of these cents since they began it in 1982. A partial list of some of the issues encountered are split plate doubling, plating bubbles, linear plating bubbles, cracked plating, and plating pieces flaking off but not like lamination errors.

This is not doubling nor is it an error, but is simply seen as poor quality control by the Mint.