• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Discovery? 2024 Lincoln Shield Cent DDO (Double Ear)
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I found 7 of these out of the 50 in a 2024 Lincoln bank roll I picked up at a gas station! :whee:

IMG_1797.jpeg

IMG_1796.jpeg

IMG_1795.jpeg

Edited by Alana333
Text

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I don't see actual doubling of any kind on this cent. The "Double Ear" Lincoln cents had a full secondary lobe lower than the initial lobe. I see something at the back of Abe's ear on your cent, and if you have many just like this I would say that possibly a part of the die came out as a chip during previous strikes and left a void in the die that produced what you are seeing. 

I am not sure if this would even be recognized as a variety as I am not sure if anything involving die chips becomes recognized as such. I will let the others give their opinions as mine is only one of many.

First, a DDO is a variety, not an error.   
Looks like you may have a new discovery on a 2024 cent. If it is a DDO
then there’s would be hundreds of thousands the same out there waiting
to be discovered. Check with Variety Vista to see if anyone else has
reported this variety and if  not can you get it attributed.

Looks similar to this Double Ear but not quite as large

Lincoln double eaar.jpg

Edited by Greenstang
Added info

I would love to weigh in, but malhereusement, you've been around long enough to know my reputation lies in tatters, my credibility is shot and I believe I hold the unofficial record for most expulsions, deportations, and being forced to undergo a mock execution in Vladivostok. While I have never suffered the good fortune of being wrist-slapped, I have been sent to bed without supper for thirteen days.  If you have a bon-fide "variety," I am very happy for you but am unable to meet your $1.2 million asking price. 🤣

If this were my coin, I would contact Variety Vista, and also post pictures on the Coneca die variety forum. If it turns out to be nothing, you've only wasted a little time and effort. If it happens to be the real deal, and no one else has found one, you can be listed as the discoverer of a new variety. Please let us know if you decide to pursue this further, and what the results are. I would love to have a reason to do a happy dance for a new discovery.

Does not look like a DDO to me, plating blister or die damage is more likely.   Bob's advice to post on the CONECA forum is good advice, if they think you have something they may request you send in for an in hand review.