• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 S DDO Lincoln Memorial Cent 8
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I'm attaching 2 different 1970 s Lincoln Memorial cents.  Is one a high 7 small date an the other a Low 7 large date or are they the same. Thank you

20240422_194552.jpg

20240422_194506.jpg

Your title is "1969 S DDO Lincoln Memorial Cent 8" and you have photos of 70-S cents in the body, confusing to say the least.

image.png.068bb8d1b39c56caafcaa26695208102.png

Here is how you tell the difference between the large and small date 70-S Lincoln cent.   I did not try and rotate your photos so I could draw the line across the top, however, just eyeballing it both appear to be small dates.   You did not ask but neither has much value as both are circulated and have surface issues.

1970S-LD-vs-SD.jpg

You should change the topic title for it to receive proper attention and be of value to future readers.

It can be difficult to distinguish the so-called "large" and "small" date 1970-S varieties. Based on the photos, which are somewhat unfocused, I think that both of these coins are "large dates", as are the vast majority of 1970-S cents, especially those taken from circulation. The "9" and "0" appear to be higher than the "7" on both coins. The tip of the inner curve of the "9" appears blunt as well. (I'd like to thank @Coinbuf from pointing out the latter feature, of which I wasn't previously aware.)

The best way to distinguish the two varieties may be by looking at the obverse lettering instead of the date.  Here are photos of the obverses of (1) a 1970-S "small date" cent in a 1970 "mint set" that I "cherrypicked" some years ago and (2) a 1970-S "large date" cent.  Note how the lettering on the "small date" hub was much lighter than that on the "large date" hub.

1970-Ssmalldatecentobv..thumb.jpg.7e3bd95fe4004bb49dc8fcf452874c22.jpg

1970-Slargedatecentobv..thumb.jpg.a961aae541a6c1e96bd2b3ba58d269c9.jpg

The lettering appears somewhat different on circulated coins, but I think that both of your coins have the bolder, "large date" lettering style.

If you click the three horizontal dots on your initial post and select "Edit", you should be able to change the topic title.

What I use to tell on these whether they are large date or small date is not the alignment at the top. To me it easy to tell using the 7. On a large date, the bottom of the 7 extends below the bottom of the zero. On a small date, the bottom of the seven is even with the bottom of the zero. Maybe that makes it easier for you.

I think you have two large date 1970 S cents.

I look at the curl on the 9 when you can see it, if it goes up it is a small date and downward if it is a large date.