• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 ddo bn
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Yes, definitely. That way you will learn.

Unfortunately, the photos are too blurry to determine whether this 1955 cent exhibits doubling of any kind. If you are unable to provide clearer photos, I cannot render an opinion as to whether this coin was struck from a doubled die. You may want to check NGC VarietyPlus, PCGS Coinfacts, doubleddie.com, and varietyvista.com to see if you can find a match.

Please be advised that NGC only attributes varieties that are listed on VarietyPlus. See What is a Variety? | NGC (ngccoin.com).  Apart from the major (FS-101) variety, the only 1955 DDO variety that NGC attributes is FS-102. See Lincoln Cents, Wheat Reverse (1909-1958) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com).  I understand that PCGS only attributes Lincoln cent varieties listed in the Fivaz-Stanton book, The Cherrypickers Guide to Rare Die Varieties. See https://www.pcgs.com/varietyfaq.  ANACS may attribute more obscure varieties, but it is doubtful that such varieties would have substantial market value. If your coin is an FS-102, you may wish to check auction records for this variety before deciding whether to submit this circulated example.

Although you would learn by submitting the coin without taking these steps, I don't think that you should "learn the hard way", which is what I think @JKK means.

The pics are a little too blurry to tell for sure if there even is any kind of doubling on it. From what I can tell, if there is any doubling it would be some sort of strike/mechanical doubling or one of the nicknamed Poor Mans 1955 DDO which isn't a true hub doubled coin but rather from an overpolished die I believe. Many of these are for sale on sites like eBay but there are some unscrupulous sellers on sites like Etsy and Temu that will try to pass these off as the real deal.

Either way, this is not a coin I would submit to a TPG for grading.

Your closeup photos are out of focus and aside from DDO-1 and DDO-2 the other minor business strike DDO's for this year are very minor.   Given the circulated condition of your coin it would not (imo) be worth the money to have this coin graded by a TPG.   If in hand you are very certain it matches up to one of the minor DDO's I would put it in a 2X2, label the 2X2 and hold on to it.

I have a 55 ddo-002, it's not worth getting graded in that condition. If it's a  die 2 it's hard to see the pics don't do any justice. In that condition it may be worth 75 to 100.