• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2005 D Lincoln 1c
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Please post cropped photos of each side of a coin about which you have questions. 

Based on the current photos, the coin has a reverse die crack and some light strike doubling (a.k.a. machine or mechanical doubling) on the date, not die doubling. These characteristics may be interesting, but they are neither rare nor give the coin significant value.

I recommend that you review the following articles:  Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com), https://www.doubleddie.com/144801.html and links therein on mechanical doubling (a.k.a. strike or machine doubling), die deterioration doubling, and abrasion doubling.

On 4/19/2024 at 5:57 AM, Ceegan Clingan said:

This is very strange would like thought on it. Retained strike threw, maby planchet error, Die crack.Crack. DDO/DDR

Maybe if you throw out enough word salad something will stick. (shrug)

I am not even seeing a strike through. I see some damage and staining and I think the area the OP is referring to is the plating starting to bubble up near the rim and will eventually chip off. I see this cent developing severe zinc rot in the near future.

It also could just be the photo, but I think the obverse around the date and mintmark has split plate doubling.

What we see from this OP is an inevitable example of what happens with being an internet-trained collector. One sees words, and one sees pictures. But does one have the ABILITY to match those words with those pictures? Often not. Take a course, with a live instructor. Then don’t just sit there with your teeth in your mouth. Ask questions. In short, don’t assume you’re getting it right. 

On 4/19/2024 at 2:19 PM, Greenstang said:

Please explain “retained strike through”. Is this a new type of error

It is a newer type yes, it is where foreign materials get pressed on a coin and either the obverse or reverse retained the material. Exp as in string,fibers, grease, or even other metals.

On 4/20/2024 at 3:29 PM, VKurtB said:

What we see from this OP is an inevitable example of what happens with being an internet-trained collector. One sees words, and one sees pictures. But does one have the ABILITY to match those words with those pictures? Often not. Take a course, with a live instructor. Then don’t just sit there with your teeth in your mouth. Ask questions. In short, don’t assume you’re getting it right. 

Even though this is tad blurry please tell me there's nothing here for example like doubling on any letters..... I never stated I knew everything but I do know what I see.

20240421_042921.jpg

On 4/21/2024 at 4:34 AM, Ceegan Clingan said:

Even though this is tad blurry please tell me there's nothing here for example like doubling on any letters..... I never stated I knew everything but I do know what I see.

20240421_042921.jpg

This picture is just an example.

Sorry, it does not look like doubling, it looks like plating blisters around the devices. Greenstang used the proper terminology for this.

Edited by J P M

On 4/21/2024 at 4:18 AM, Ceegan Clingan said:

It is a newer type yes, it is where foreign materials get pressed on a coin and either the obverse or reverse retained the material. Exp as in string,fibers, grease, or even other metals.

The only error I have heard of where something gets pressed into the coin is a retained die break where a small piece of the die breaks off right before the coin is struck and that piece of the die becomes embedded into the coin while it is being struck. A strike through is called that because the coin was struck through a foreign object which left the imprint of the object in the coin. Being @VKurtB is active in ANA, perhaps he would like to inform me on this "new" error as I have never seen an error coin with that label.

On 4/21/2024 at 4:35 AM, Ceegan Clingan said:

This picture is just an example.

There’s nothing here. 

Pcgs literally gives the two examples of strike through.... and if you read and compare what the retained "strike through" actually is, some people might understand the new terminology.... like there is now an error that is called "Feeder-Finger damage" 

On 4/21/2024 at 7:50 PM, VKurtB said:

There’s nothing here. 

If there is nothing here do you have any evidence or proof that I'm wrong about all of this .... if so I'm willing to correct my myself and say I was wrong and now I know that all my knowledge is wrong.... apologies in advance just in case 

On 4/19/2024 at 1:48 PM, Sandon said:

Please post cropped photos of each side of a coin about which you have questions. 

Based on the current photos, the coin has a reverse die crack and some light strike doubling (a.k.a. machine or mechanical doubling) on the date, not die doubling. These characteristics may be interesting, but they are neither rare nor give the coin significant value.

I recommend that you review the following articles:  Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com), https://www.doubleddie.com/144801.html and links therein on mechanical doubling (a.k.a. strike or machine doubling), die deterioration doubling, and abrasion doubling.

I'm very aware of machine doubling lol

When you post coins on this forum, we assume that you are a newer or casual collector who is trying to obtain other opinions about them.  You don't have to agree with any or all of us, nor should you take offense if some or all of us disagree with you. We have no way of knowing what you do or don't already know about coins, and when I include links to pertinent resources, I do so because I think that the topic author and/or other readers may find them helpful.

We ask for full cropped photos of each side of a coin to assist us in evaluating it. We've never received such photos regarding the 2005-D cent. Based on the close-ups provided, your coin doesn't appear to me to exhibit die doubling on either side, nor does the darkened area appear to me be matter that was struck into the coin.  Regarding the doubling, you might want to check such sites as doubleddie.com or varietyvista.com that list more minor doubled die varieties to see if you can find a match. Although foreign matter that was on a die or planchet has been embedded into coins at the time of striking, neither the 2005-D cent nor the 2021 Silver Eagle appear to me to be examples of such "retained strike throughs" based on the photos provided. See https://www.error-ref.com/?s=retained+struck+through.  

On 4/23/2024 at 11:52 AM, Ceegan Clingan said:

If there is nothing here do you have any evidence or proof that I'm wrong about all of this .... if so I'm willing to correct my myself and say I was wrong and now I know that all my knowledge is wrong.... apologies in advance just in case 

There is no requirement that I show evidence or proof of anything. The burden of proof is 100% yours. 

On 4/23/2024 at 11:50 AM, Ceegan Clingan said:

if you read and compare what the retained "strike through" actually is, some people might understand the new terminology.... like there is now an error that is called "Feeder-Finger damage" 

Thanks to the link provided by @Sandon I read and viewed this and even though I have never seen a slab with this designation, I now know it does exist. I learned something from this post so thank you. Feeder finger damage errors are not new however and those have been around for longer than I have been collecting coins which is 45+ years.

I am not sure why I could not get to the page in the link directly through my previous error-ref searches.

A "retained" strike through, or whatever adjective you want to use, has been around for a long time. It's just that most are not significant enough for anyone to care about them. 

The OP's cent is not a doubled die and I see no evidence of a strike through on either the cent or ASE. 

I hadn't realized, or forgot, that the font was changed on the T-2 ASE's. Hideous.