• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"2013 1C D Lincoln shield"
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.   

The coin was struck from worn dies, which on copper plated zinc cents sometimes results in a warped area near the rim. The presence of the rim indicates that the collar was in place, so the coin isn't broadstruck.  I see no indication of its having been struck through any foreign object or matter. We can't tell whether the dies were rotated out of the normal "coin turn" orientation from the photos provided.

Can the OP define any of these terms:

strike threw [sic "thru" or "through"]:

rotated obverse/reverse:

broad struck:

Take away: If one does not understand the words, do not use them.

On 4/19/2024 at 12:26 PM, RWB said:

Can the OP define any of these terms:

strike threw [sic "thru" or "through"]:

rotated obverse/reverse:

broad struck:

Take away: If one does not understand the words, do not use them.

According to my dad, “broad struck” would be a coin struck by a woman. He was of the Rat Pack generation. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/18/2024 at 9:44 PM, Ceegan Clingan said:

Possible strike threw on obverse, rotated obverse/reverse, Possible broad struck.

None of the above, just the effect of a worn out die that was used past it's time.

I do think the coin was struck from worn dies and the OP thinks incorrectly that effect is a broadstrike.

What I do see that nobody has mentioned, I think there is quite a set of depressions on Abe's cheek, next to his eye, and a large one on his head and hair. That looks to be struck through to me as the design in the hair is still present.

I doubt this was struck from rotated dies. I have not really seen any of these cents with a rotated die error and I think the modern presses have dies with a pin or keyway to keep the dies from rotating if I am not mistaken.