• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slabbed coin or Original Mint Package?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I have recently taken coin collecting as a hobby and have been enjoying every part of it. Ever since I saw the the 2023 high relief gold coin (the one with the cool tree) I knew that I had to have one. Since then, I have been grinding my butt off so that one day I could buy one. Looking at some youtube videos, I know the mint sends their gold coins in black elaborate black boxes. However, since I can no longer buy the coin through the mint, I have to do it through third party websites different websites (AMPEX, SD bullion, etc). For whatever reason the above sites do not sell the coin in its original packaging (sometimes they do but most of the time they do not). Instead, they either sell the coin in plastic coverings or in slabs. That said, should I wait until I can find the 2023 high relief gold coin in its original packaging or should I buy one slabbed? Is there any difference to either?

Hello and welcome to the forum!

It depends on how important the original packaging is to you. If you absolutely must have it in the original packaging, you should wait to buy one with that packaging. If it is not important to you, not knowing what happened to it and that the coin "raw" could potentially be counterfeit, you would be better off to buy one already graded. Another thing to keep in mind while talking about counterfeits, even if the coin has original packaging, being you are new at this, I would make sure you buy it from a reputable seller such as APMEX who guarantee the coin is genuine and who will have checked that the original packaging has not been tampered with.

One other thing to note, once a coin has been removed from its original packaging, it has been exposed to the environment and also possible future issues from being handled raw. If it were me, I would want to get a coin such as this in original packaging from a well known reputable seller that has a guarantee that all the coins they sell are authentic. Joe Blow on eBay might have sold lots of coins, but might not be a well known reputable seller with a guarantee of authenticity for every coin he sells.

I'd try to find one in the OGP but if you could pick up a PF 69 for a lower cost I'd maybe consider that. 

Looks like you can buy a PF69 on ebay and the OGP for less than the original selling price from the U.S. Mint. What!?

image.thumb.png.951a9e0d06c79c0ac580c3463c4f35d2.png

On 4/17/2024 at 5:42 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I'd try to find one in the OGP but if you could pick up a PF 69 for a lower cost I'd maybe consider that. 

Looks like you can buy a PF69 on ebay and the OGP for less than the original selling price from the U.S. Mint. What!?

image.thumb.png.951a9e0d06c79c0ac580c3463c4f35d2.png

So much for the untrue theory that certification always enhances a coin’s value. 

Each time a modern imitation coin, proof, or other novelty is removed from its original packaging, you expose its surface to contamination. The effects are cumulative each time a holder is opened, and increase as unprotected time increases. The effects might not become visible for a year or more.

You can be smart, and leave it in the original plastic capsule, or take your chances after spending $50.

On 4/16/2024 at 1:39 AM, Not_Mikey said:

I have recently taken coin collecting as a hobby and have been enjoying every part of it. Ever since I saw the the 2023 high relief gold coin (the one with the cool tree) I knew that I had to have one. Since then, I have been grinding my butt off so that one day I could buy one. Looking at some youtube videos, I know the mint sends their gold coins in black elaborate black boxes. However, since I can no longer buy the coin through the mint, I have to do it through third party websites different websites (AMPEX, SD bullion, etc). For whatever reason the above sites do not sell the coin in its original packaging (sometimes they do but most of the time they do not). Instead, they either sell the coin in plastic coverings or in slabs. That said, should I wait until I can find the 2023 high relief gold coin in its original packaging or should I buy one slabbed? Is there any difference to either?

There are many reputable, large dealers that I would not mind buying a modern gold piece in OGP.  However, I would certainly not shy away from a reasonable graded piece.  While it is true that opening your coin and exposing it to the elements may do damage, I have seen plenty of coins turn bad in OGP, too.  

Now, if I bought the OGP... I would not spend the $50 to have it graded.  As already demonstrated, it will not add value to the coin.