• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question
1 1

5 posts in this topic

That is a nice die crack it looks like this one at Cuds On Coins. Cross reference: RCD-1c-2021-01. JCc-rcd-2021-01. 01/05/2022.

pc-1c-021-01b-pc-o.jpg

Nice die crack, and nice detective work @J P M!

Edit:  What is it worth?  What someone will pay.  I don't mean that snarky.  I don't collect them, so to me it's just a cool die crack.  I might spend <$5 on it, if I just liked it as an example.  But, I am not inclined to collect them.  And... that's the issue... many just don't collect errors, so it's a very small pool of buyers.  I would save it as an example, but I would not pay the money to grade it.

Welcome to the boards.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

Each mint error is unique, so it can be difficult to value any particular example.  A generic "defective die" error on a copper plated zinc Lincoln cent lists $15 in the 2023 "Red Book." Sullivan Numismatics, a major error dealer and contributor to the error-ref.com site, might be able to give you an idea of your coin's value or make an offer for it if you want to sell it. See https://sullivannumismatics.com/contact-us/ 

Hello and welcome to the forum!

You have an interesting error coin! It looks like the die was cracked and I can only think that disturbance led to the weakness and missing lettering on the reverse. What I am curious about is what is that on the reverse under the O in ONE CENT? There looks like a strange circular shape.

As far as the value of this error, and all errors in general, I wish this answer was more helpful to you, but it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Each error is unique, and some errors are more "common" than others such as struck through errors, which don't gain much premium. I think you would not go wrong to reach out to Sullivan Numismatics as mentioned by member @Sandon. They specialize only in error coins. I would think they wouldn't mind taking a look at your cent here and providing you with an opinion on its condition and worth.

One other thing I am curious about it is where did you acquire this cent? Did you buy it from a seller or dealer?

Also, I just want to say this one is pretty cool! (thumbsu