• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking to crack from anacs and submit to NGC. 1829 half dollar
1 1

22 posts in this topic

I'm looking at cracking this 1829 half dollar and submitting it to NGC, It's in an old ANACS soapbox holder. 

That being said, what grade do you all Guesstimate it might achieve???

Thank you everyone. 

Screenshot_20240413_211708_Mercari.png

Screenshot_20240413_211719_Mercari.png

Based on the photos, I would say that this 1829 Capped Bust half dollar should grade AU 55 to 58 by today's commercial (NGC or PCGS) grading standards. The coin has some hairlines but probably not enough to be deemed "cleaned". Some pieces of this era that show "rub" are given low mint state grades, but this coin shows definite loss of detail due to wear on Liberty's cap and hair and the eagle's neck and feathers.

I like the old small ANACS holders and usually how coins were graded in them. They are becoming a collector's item in their own right. If I were you, I wouldn't remove the coin from the holder and resubmit it.

In my humble opinion, I would put this coin at AU 50 being the obverse clasp has no detail and the hair of Liberty is more worn to that level and I would go with the obverse as the overriding factor. 

What does the ANACS label say as far as grade?

As far as cleaning goes, many of these half dollars were cleaned and I really couldn't tell if yours was unless I had it in hand to tilt it to the light at different angles to see if any hairlines appear. Unless it was harshly cleaned, it is very difficult to tell if it is from just a single photo.

If you were hellbent on cracking it out and it came back as AU Details, would it be worth it? I might just leave it as is if the current label doesn't say that.

Very nice coin. A little wear on the high points on both sides. Some minor scratches. Two small hits on the revers rim I would think with some luck would put it at a AU58.But if it is in an old soap bar I might leave it alone. 

I am in the straight grade AU58 camp from these photos.   @xinfantry do you have a photo of the slab?   Some ANACS slabs are on the rare side and can command a premium just for the slab itself.

On 4/14/2024 at 4:39 PM, powermad5000 said:

I would put this coin at AU 50 being the obverse clasp has no detail and the hair of Liberty is more worn to that level

As acknowledged by the ANA Grading Guide (note at p. 240 of seventh edition) Capped Bust, lettered edge half dollars are frequently weakly struck in areas including the clasp and hair.  The large amount of remaining luster on this coin indicates that the weakness on the clasp and surrounding area of the hair are due to striking weakness.

I am sure it shall come as no surprise to the membership to learn I am now, and have always been, unalterally opposed to "decapsulations" and more so it the motive is for financial gain. It reeks of unseemly, coarse conduct unbecoming a gentleman and undertaken for no other reason than personal gain. 

Rather than condemn those who engage in such practice, I believe I have a possible solution. 

If you submit your coin(s) raw, no one likely be the wiser.  If you submit your coin(s) for state-of-the-art protection, that is valid and understandable.  But if your motive is financial, perhaps a TPGS, may be inclined to meet you halfway.  After a cursory review, it it seems your claim lacks merit, they can simply pick up the phone, or message you indicating an update would be disadvantageous, thereby eliminating the need for needless vandalism which would leave only payment of a nominal administrative fee.  If re-housing would prove to be desirable, both parties would be pleased.  The TPGS would reap the standard fee and you would benefit from a state-of-the-art holder with all the benefits that accrue, including a higher value for the upgrade. This is simply a proposal.

All in favor, say Aye!

On 4/15/2024 at 5:34 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I am sure it shall come as no surprise to the membership to learn I am now, and have always been, unalterally opposed to "decapsulations" and more so it the motive is for financial gain. It reeks of unseemly, coarse conduct unbecoming a gentleman and undertaken for no other reason than personal gain. 

Rather than condemn those who engage in such practice, I believe I have a possible solution. 

If you submit your coin(s) raw, no one likely be the wiser.  If you submit your coin(s) for state-of-the-art protection, that is valid and understandable.  But if your motive is financial, perhaps a TPGS, may be inclined to meet you halfway.  After a cursory review, if it seems your claim lacks merit, they can simply pick up the phone, or message you indicating an update would be disadvantageous, thereby eliminating the need for needless vandalism which would leave only payment of a nominal administrative fee.  If re-housing would prove to be desirable, both parties would be pleased.  The TPGS would reap the standard fee and the submitter would benefit from a state-of-the-art holder with all the benefits that accrue, including a higher value for the upgrade. This is simply a proposal.

All in favor, say Aye!

Everyone except Powermad5000 is high balling the coin. The coin is XF (45) Details Scratches (not good when they go the same direction and are sustained bright lines). It's a nice coin for a type set. It is not high AU. That train left that coin years ago. It may just squeak AU (50) Details Scratches with a happy go lucky hippy type grader like VKurtB or RWB. LOL

cow4paca.png

Edited by Mike Meenderink

My first impression, before looking at what others thought, was AU58.

I think its color will pull it through… over the line between grades… its innate likability.

I'll add some of my thoughts on the coin.

The coin was not mounted flat in the holder. When the coin was imaged the lens was not flat with the coin. This created areas of the image that were a bit out of focus. Not enough depth of field to correct that. Much of the detail was lost. A bit of camera shake probably added to the focus problem.

On the obverse the stars look really nice but out of focus. It's hard to tell much about the scratches. Some of that may just be on the holder. I can't tell. The angle of the lighting really highlight these. Very little wear above eye and ear.

On the reverse I'm seeing some wear on the top of the wings or is that just a strike issue? The details of the talons/claws look really strong. They would probably look even better if the image was in focus. 

I'll guess ANACS graded the coin at 50 or 53 but I feel it's better that that. 

I don't think I would change the holder. Over the last few months, I have sold a lot of these early ANACS graded coins. I was shocked at some of the prices they brought at auction. Some bid more knowing the surfaces are stable and others feel they may grade higher if cracked out. 

I would love to see better images and what ANACS graded it at. 

Edited by ldhair

Click Bait thread.

If he provides the ANACS grade,
assuming the coin/thread is on the up & up,
then interest will wane and it will drift off the front page…
for ever & ever.

I'm about finished trying to help the jerks that post once asking for help and never come back or are too busy to answer questions. 

On 4/23/2024 at 3:44 PM, xinfantry said:

20240422_160324.jpg

20240422_160404.jpg

Thank you for the update. I would leave it in that holder if it was my coin.

Thanks for the follow up pic. I guess my grading skills are getting a little better.

Well, being ANACS will ding coins for cleaning and other issues and this coin passed their graders, I would probably say then it would also numerical grade if you carefully cracked it out. The grade crossing it over might be the same so I am not sure if you would gain anything on the grade. It could but is no guarantee.

It is your money to spend if you were to crack this out. I do have only one last question for you. What reason do you want to crack this out and have it NGC graded? Just don't like the ANACS holder, or do you want all your coins to have been graded by NGC? I'm just curious as to your answer because all of my slabs are NGC, and I did have a Morgan in one of these slabs which I cracked out for that reason.