• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

vam 14.11
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I wish there was a better option for this vam 14.11, it's hard to believe a rim ding kills it but I get it, I feel like it deserves better than a genuine only label, it should at least get a details grade like f/vf details, i know it will never see a numerical grade, I guess I'm lucky to have one at all, I thought about crossing it over to ngc for a details grade if possible, I'm new to all this so I'm still feeling my way around, what's your thoughts on it ? is it stuck where it's at

IMG_20240329_031001~2.jpg

IMG_20240329_031017~2.jpg

That is unfortunate. A great looking coin with a rim ding. I would be disappointed as well. The details are great and the facts that it it a VAM and a wild eye should make it gradable

PCGS simply picked one of the two problems to put on the label, it could just as easily have been killed for the harsh cleaning; that rim ding is very sizable.

I don't see any point in trying to cross this coin over to an NGC slab. In NGC's Variety Plus, they only list VAM 14.1 and 14.1A. It seems they don't recognize VAM 14.11 or it would be listed. That said, if you crossed this coin over, it would lose its current VAM designation.

It has a really big rim ding that any grader would knock this coin down to a details grade without a straight numerical grade. As a collector of these, I have to say that rim ding would have caused me to pass by if it were a raw coin, regardless of the VAM designation. I also agree with @Coinbuf it also appears to have had a harsh cleaning. I think it has too many things going against it for you to spend any more extra money on plastic and a paper label.

I could be wrong but if it is not listed on their Variety Plus page it is a variety they don't recognize. It might be in the registry set for those who have PCGS ones, but as far as NGC grading, they don't recognize every VAM just as they don't recognize every different variety on other series of coins. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

On 4/14/2024 at 2:12 PM, David Otto said:

@powermad5000 when I check the variety plus list I see vam 14.11 listed

My bad. It is not in order, at least not the way I would put it. And they are calling it Eye Spikes not Wild Eye which is probably why my eye didn't pick it up right away. Either way good sir, I still wouldn't bother with trying to cross this over just so the paper label says DETAILS on it. I just don't think it is worth spending the $$. It is your coin, however, and you can do what you like to do with it.

@powermad5000 that's why I'm here to post and learn, I guess I should be happy its allowed in my registry set and adds 800+ points and even more grateful I have one period, I think I will leave well enough alone thanks for your advice

On 4/14/2024 at 2:59 PM, David Otto said:

@powermad5000 that's why I'm here to post and learn, I guess I should be happy its allowed in my registry set and adds 800+ points and even more grateful I have one period, I think I will leave well enough alone thanks for your advice

With as much experience I do have, I am still learning. There is so much to know in this hobby I think I will get to the end of my time and still not know everything. I would have made the list in Variety Plus for VAM 14.1, 14.1A, 14.10, 14.11, 14.12, etc. That is why I didn't see it at first. I had to keep scrolling to get to it. I guess I organize differently than others. LOL!

While I am not a registry participant, I am glad you are still able to put this coin into yours. I agree. There are just so many VAMS out there and I have very few of the total of them by comparison. I don't think it is a very populous VAM so congrats on having one.

Yeah, I mean you could cross it over, but as a $$ thing I don't see why. I think at the point of when this coin might eventually be sold (I speak this way because I will go to the grave and someone else is going to do something with my coins) I don't think the crossover would help it add any value, and I don't see it changing anything except one word on the label. Well, maybe two since NGC calls it something different. And it wouldn't change the points it would get in the registry. So that's why I say to just leave it as is.

Well on the bright side. I would look at it this way. It does not say Details or Cleaned Like most of the stuff out there.

Too many VAMs and not enough cat lives.

Nice cleaned EF with edge bump.