• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

a penny error or damage.
1 1

43 posts in this topic

what do you think during pressing or after? 

Looks like it might be both. looks like a strike through because of the lettering on the reverse no being as pronounced as the rest. 

WIN_20240413_01_49_10_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240413_01_50_14_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240413_01_50_41_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240413_01_54_25_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240413_01_59_29_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240413_02_02_17_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240413_02_03_03_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240413_02_04_19_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240413_02_05_55_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240413_02_07_15_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240413_02_08_23_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240413_02_11_15_Pro.jpg

I'm sorry, but I see heavy damage on this coin. It is possible it was a parking lot find at some point. Nothing in the Mint process would produce a coin that looks like this.

Take a look at the reverse. America the s in states did not stamp as good as the rest of it. It looks like it has an intrusion when it was stamped. If you look at his head you will see it was pushed out. It looks like a mint error but it also looks like more damage happened later.

If you look at in God we trust its lettering is almost twice as thick on the G that on the other side. Probably because there was some behind it that caused more pressure on that side. 

I was just doing some research they had a die break called the bie die break that was on about 1500 pennies. 

Looks like the other was where it was breaking and this one is where it plum broke.

Me personally, over the past 3 years, I have had the pleasure of searching and sorting close to 50,000 coins that encompassed over 200 countries and spanned from 1850 to 2010.  Sorting that many coins provided me and steady stream of the same ole song throughout every decade for only the past 200 years: degradation and damage.  Everything eventually falls apart. During that life, hit sits the fan, which allows strange people to devise every possible way to deface as many coins as possible.  Maybe there is a Tik Tok challenge?  Inspect every coin you get your hands on, you will learn soon enough how many ways there are to skin a cat...I mean coin.

The BIE, is a die-chip break that landed between the B and the E, giving a visually of BIE, hence the name.  Your coin exhibits no possible similarities.  I am afraid no error will, leaving in most cases, the only logical conclusion of PMD (Post Mint Damage).  You will see scary things happen to coins.

Here is a close-up:

image.thumb.png.3b3e2fafd4e9b93b27d0a96b82012179.png

Yea that's before it broke. If you look where it folded back it's right where your pointing to. 

Pretty much makes sense they had a bunch of smaller die errors on the 1957 D. Like said this is the one it finally broke on it looks like.

Fortunately, there are people who have diligently collected research data for hundreds of years to chronicle the history of coins from all over the world.  999,999,999 times out of 1 billion times, what anomalous features you see, it will be PMD.  The two links below will provide you a guide that will focus you efforts by narrowing out what is clearly PMD.  There are great finds that are readily findable in general circulation.  I have found dozens myself. 

I highly recommend you peruse these sights voraciously and I assure you that you will look at coins differently and more critically.  Good Luck!

NGC "What is a Mint Error?" (Total of 4 Parts)

Errors Website: www.error-ref.com and the Non-Errors Webpage

If you look at in God we trust its lettering is almost twice as thick on the G that on the other side. Probably because there was some behind it that caused more pressure on that side. 

Maybe if you Google the 1957 D die brakes. They had thousands of them. Probably coming from the same die because they are stamping who knks how many a minute. This one is probably the one they stopped on. 

A great feature of the resource links i sent is that you get some explanation as to how/why the particular defect occurs.  It helps you to focus your search.  I have searched over 30,000 cents and found only 20-30 that are valid defects and basically all of them are worthless.  I am considering compiling a cheap collection of as many known defects that I can acquire.  I will create a "What If. . . " collection of almost, wannabe's, and never-was's.  I think it could serve as a great educational tool.

Now if you think like that you are never going to find anything. It only makes sense that a die had a catastrophic failure to cause this. Plus it was already know that that die had major issues. It had do many that the coins it messed up on are really not worth that much because there were so many of them.

Explain why the lettering on the back is not as pronounced as the rest.. on the obverse it is pushed back exactly where the dies were known to break. You can see where lincolns head is bulging out from were a peace of the die pushed from the back. At the top IN GOD is almost twice the size than the letters in the end of trust.

If you look at the work God you can see where the die broke and pushed the obverse side out. 

But even with all of the damage to the coin it's probably not worth a lot because all the other damage it did to the coins before this. 

But it's fine to disagree it just a penny.

If it was a die break, it would be raised, not incuse. What you have is just damage and wear.
Suggest you read up on the minting process and what constitutes an error to save   
you the time of posting damaged coins.  
A good place to start is error-ref.com

Edited by Greenstang

Hello,  I’m glad you’re excited about coins!  Great to get into this hobby.  I’ve been lurking around this forum for about a year.  Great info and good guys, really know their stuff.  Let me tell you something that helped me.  I was searching lots of change coins and at first I thought I was finding some interesting things.  I would recommend putting these finds into a jar, not marking what you find.  Hang around on this forum for a month seeing the coins posted in newbie.  Look at the expert advise.  Try to figure out why they are giving this advise.  Then after a month revisit your jar of anomaly coins and ask yourself why you put it in there and do you still think it’s special.  If you like it!  Keep it in the jar!  If you learned something new and no longer find it interesting, set it free.  Read the links posted to learn.

missing letters are grease that clogs the die and it doesn’t strike or weak strike a portion.

No ill probably go ahead and send this one in to be graded. It's probably not worth much but I think it's neat to know that was the last coin from those 1952 d error don't you?

On 4/13/2024 at 7:35 AM, Robertdpg said:

No ill probably go ahead and send this one in to be graded. It's probably not worth much but I think it's neat to know that was the last coin from those 1952 d error don't you?

This is interesting RobertDPG. I roll hunt all the time and like many others here I am more than happy to see a new member and lend a hand to try to save them some money, grief and aggravation on their numismatic adventure. It is important to know the how's and whys of coins before investing in them. Please take the professional advice of the members to help you out. In the end you will have learned a lot... 

On 4/13/2024 at 6:35 AM, Robertdpg said:

Good luck with your numismatic endeavors.  It seems your knowledge and expertise have surpassed the paltry extent of the members on this forum.  Hopefully you will bestow upon us some of your vast knowledge.  Please do be sure to update us little people with all your submission efforts.  I am awaiting with bated breath.  Also, include the price of submission with each coin.

On 4/13/2024 at 2:47 AM, Robertdpg said:

Looks like they were using their dies longer because they were about to change over.

I’m sorry sir, but you really are off on this. This is 100% damage and 0% mint error. 

The Magliazzi Brothers from NPR’s Car Talk put it best, “Don’t think so much if you don’t think so good.”

I was doing Registration at the IMEX show at Nashville last fall. PCGS was doing expensive show pickup grading. One VERY nice gentleman of about fifty years came to me at a slow period to ask me about his coin grades. Only two of his coins even GOT A NUMERICAL GRADE. He had submitted 20, at usurious show grading rates. He had wasted THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS attempting to get damaged coins certified as errors. ALMOST NOTHING IS A REAL ERROR. Your cud quarter is a unicorn-like exception. PLEASE LISTEN TO PEOPLE HERE. THEY ARE CORRECT.  Don’t argue with these people. Argue with those sources who told you these are errors. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/13/2024 at 3:19 AM, Robertdpg said:

Explain why the lettering on the back is not as pronounced as the rest

If you look at a lot of Lincoln Wheat Cents, you will notice many with "weak" lettering on the reverse on the opposite side of Lincoln's bust. It is an issue with the design of the cent and the amount of metal from the coin being struck that gets pushed into the die to form the bust of Lincoln on the obverse left less metal to flow into the design of the reverse die for the lettering to strike up fully. In laymen's terms, there is only so much metal to go around. You will see many Lincoln Wheat cents across all of the years they were made with weak lettering on the reverses. This effect was so pronounced in 1922 that you will see Lincoln Wheats graded with Strong Reverse and Weak Reverse on the labels in the slabs.

This is not an error, but rather an issue the Mint had with the relief of the design.

I'll just have to respectful disagree. The did was spitting out errors and I think it finally broke. But it think we have had a very fine conversation though we are not agreeing. I wouldn't take a penny for it.

On 4/13/2024 at 5:32 PM, Robertdpg said:

I'll just have to respectful disagree. The did was spitting out errors and I think it finally broke. But it think we have had a very fine conversation though we are not agreeing. I wouldn't take a penny for it.

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT EVER send it in for certification. 

On 4/13/2024 at 6:04 PM, Robertdpg said:

I don't know I'm feeling kinda funny I might just send two.

After which you WILL disappear, just like every person who has done what you are planning. There have literally been hundreds here just like you. We’ve had maybe one or two admissions of being incorrect. They just go away. 

On 4/13/2024 at 7:08 PM, VKurtB said:

After which you WILL disappear, just like every person who has done what you are planning. There have literally been hundreds here just like you. We’ve had maybe one or two admissions of being incorrect. They just go away. 

I tried the kind polite way with newbies.  I’m starting to see why people resort to tough love like VKurtB.  I got tough love by VKurtB.  Made me want ask more questions and learn more.  I don’t know which approach is better but I’m started to lean towards VKurtB’s methods!  ☠️ rip the bandaid off fast then help them assess the wound!   I’ll leave the newbie training to you guys!!  😂

Now you probably have not look at the pictures very well. The is a 1957D where they were many die cracked coins leading up to it. You can see that the coin has obvious strike throughs on the reverse. 

You can see where the die fell apart and it made an error coin. What did you think would happen to a coin being struck with thousands of pounds and the die came apart?

On 4/13/2024 at 5:32 PM, Rob’s Coins said:

I tried the kind polite way with newbies.  I’m starting to see why people resort to tough love like VKurtB.  I got tough love by VKurtB.  Made me want ask more questions and learn more.  I don’t know which approach is better but I’m started to lean towards VKurtB’s methods!  ☠️ rip the bandaid off fast then help them assess the wound!   I’ll leave the newbie training to you guys!!  😂

I'm two persons: before they start arguing, and after. Until they start arguing, they're asking for opinions and input, and sometimes I'll give it. If they disagree with consensus opinions, there are two ways they can react to that. One is to say to oneself 'Okay, I'm right and they are wrong, but it doesn't matter what they think. I'm going to value it my way and send it in my way.' That's pigheaded, but it's an intellectually honest pigheadedness that has the courage of its convictions. The other is to keep arguing, and that's intellectually dishonest because it's not the reaction of someone who believes what they're saying. It's the reaction of someone who knows they are wrong, deep down, but wants to pressure someone to validate their errors. The fact that they don't just walk away proves that to me, and causes me to lose respect for them.

If I decide that geology works a certain way, and I go to a geology forum to ask questions about where I should safely build a house, and the experts and professors tell me no, you're wrong, it doesn't work that way and you'll be setting yourself up for a big problem--if don't like that answer, I have a choice. I can make a term_for_a_donkey of myself by debating with professors of the subject, wasting my time and theirs, looking worse every round. Or I can say 'okay, thanks,' walk away, and build my house the way I want. If I do that, at least I act like I believe my own philosophy. If I do the former, I show that deep down, I'm just posing and flexing with nothing to back it up.

It's like the preppers who talk like the end of society is a dead sure thing, but keep putting money into their 401k. Either believe your philosophy or don't, but if you don't have the sand to believe it, at least stop braying it.

Edited by JKK