• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

i think ai found a 1915 penny
1 1

30 posts in this topic

I think i found a 1915 penny. The date is in bad shape but it looks like their standers for making coins was a little different back then.

WIN_20240412_23_47_32_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240412_23_55_10_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240412_23_55_55_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240413_00_19_23_Pro.jpg

The coin is dated 1916, and no the standards were not that different back then.   Your coin is heavily worn from extensive time in circulation, it is not an error of any type and is not valuable.   Keep it if you like it, here is one of my 1916 dated cents, as you can see coins were made much the same as they are today just a bit more patina from all the years that have past.

1916Sccomp.jpg

Edited by Coinbuf

Your coin is valuable in the sense you describe as a pointer to people and a time very different from our own. Given the amount of wear, it might have been handled by millions of Americans and new immigrants looking for personal freedom and opportunity.

I read the date as 1917. Whatever its date, it is a well-worn coin that would grade no better than G 4.  It may have been as well struck as the 1916-S shown by @Coinbufbut was extensively used in commerce as was common for coins of that era when even a cent could buy something.

On 4/13/2024 at 1:25 AM, Robertdpg said:

It's pretty valuable. I pick it up and wonder where it's been. Imagine all the hands it went through before it got to me. 

I think I'm lucky to be about to hold it for a while. 

I love this attitude. Just think how many pieces of penny candy that coin has purchased. A thousand different hands, countless pockets and change purses. I love the thinking

On 4/13/2024 at 12:51 AM, Robertdpg said:

I think i found a 1915 penny. The date is in bad shape but it looks like their standers for making coins was a little different back then.

Hello Robert,

glad to see you have a good attitude!  For me, I like the fact that a penny back then was mainly copper and not like the copper/zinc Pennie’s of today.  You will find that the value of copper content is somewhere around .02 - .03 cents for this penny.  So is it a penny?  Depends on how you look at it.

Will I look at coins a little differently. Most people think the shiner they took the more they are worth. I like them when they have some ware and not in a case or folder. I can hold that coin and just imagine where it's been. 

Looks like they are taking a lot of fun out of it running first strikes and they go straight into a protective covering. Take all the misery out of it.

It amazes me how people who clame to know so much about the coin minting process could not even consider that such a failure could happen. 

That die is slamming shut at hundreds of tons of pressure and probably at once a second. You don't think a little peace of metal would not get torn all to peaces? 

I tell you what I dare you to stick your finger in it. I bet it will get stamped more than multiple times before you get it out.

A little peace of copper or other mixed metals would fair no better. It not that it doesn't happen the mints just have good quality control. They will take almost all of them out but they don't get them all.

On 4/13/2024 at 5:39 PM, Robertdpg said:

Looks like they are taking a lot of fun out of it running first strikes

These "First Strikes" and others with signed labels and early releases and even one label numbered with 239 from the last coin struck, are all just marketing gimmicks that turned me off completely from collecting anything with these kinds of designations. It basically makes it near impossible for anyone to assemble a complete set if there are so many "labels" to collect and then to throw actual numbered examples into the mix just destroys any collecting commonalities. It also inflates prices for these pieces which in the end are merely bullion.

On 4/13/2024 at 5:48 PM, Robertdpg said:

It amazes me how people who clame to know so much about the coin minting process could not even consider that such a failure could happen. 

That die is slamming shut at hundreds of tons of pressure and probably at once a second. You don't think a little peace of metal would not get torn all to peaces? 

I tell you what I dare you to stick your finger in it. I bet it will get stamped more than multiple times before you get it out.

A little peace of copper or other mixed metals would fair no better. It not that it doesn't happen the mints just have good quality control. They will take almost all of them out but they don't get them all.

I shall maintain after collecting and studying coins for 45+ years, that I will stick to what I know. Like you said, we will agree to disagree. Good luck to you sir!

On 4/13/2024 at 5:48 PM, Robertdpg said:

clame = claim?

peace = piece?

peaces = pieces?

ware = wear?

Come on. Even in 1915 the striking rate was shorter than one a second. Please study more. Functional illiteracy is not helping your cause. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/13/2024 at 3:39 PM, Robertdpg said:

Will I look at coins a little differently. Most people think the shiner they took the more they are worth. I like them when they have some ware and not in a case or folder. I can hold that coin and just imagine where it's been. 

Looks like they are taking a lot of fun out of it running first strikes and they go straight into a protective covering. Take all the misery out of it.

I can understand the romanticism you are drawn to with circ coins, however, not every collector wants to collect heavily circulated coins.   Personally coins that look more like an electrical box knock out rather than the design of the coin do not provide me with any pleasure or joy when viewing them.    That however is the beauty of collecting, just as there is a butt for every seat there is a collector for every coin, even if they are the only collector that can get any pleasure from owning it.   Just as you want a well traveled coin there are collectors that prefer perfection, if you don't want to be put down for your choices it would be wise for you not to trash the preferences of others.

Earlier you wrote; "The date is in bad shape but it looks like their standers for making coins was a little different back then.".    This is simply not true and posting incorrect information like this is just how misinformation gets started and spreads.   The volunteers here like myself work hard to try and keep misinformation off this site when we see it posted.   Please do not make such an assumption or post this type of misinformation, it just leads to problems.

On 4/13/2024 at 3:48 PM, Robertdpg said:

No one said that such a failure could not happen, just that it did not happen with your coin, big difference.   The people that have replied to your posts represent a collective of over 500 years of collecting coins and researching the how, and why of the minting process, your indifference and dismissal of that knowledge does not speak well of you.   I myself have tried to help you, but you have made it clear that you want no help and are only here to troll, so this will be the last time I reply to any post of yours with the exception of correcting any further misinformation that you may post.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 4/13/2024 at 6:12 PM, Coinbuf said:

I can understand the romanticism you are drawn to with circ coins, however, not every collector wants to collect heavily circulated coins.   Personally coins that look more like an electrical box knock out rather than the design of the coin do not provide me with any pleasure or joy when viewing them.    That however is the beauty of collecting, just as there is a butt for every seat there is a collector for every coin, even if they are the only collector that can get any pleasure from owning it.   Just as you want a well traveled coin there are collectors that prefer perfection, if you don't want to be put down for your choices it would be wise for you not to trash the preferences of others.

Earlier you wrote; "The date is in bad shape but it looks like their standers for making coins was a little different back then.".    This is simply not true and posting incorrect information like this is just how misinformation gets started and spreads.   The volunteers here like myself work hard to try and keep misinformation off this site when we see it posted.   Please do not make such an assumption or post this type of misinformation, it just leads to problems.

No one said that such a failure could not happen, just that it did not happen with your coin, big difference.   The people that have replied to your posts represent a collective of over 500 years of collecting coins and researching the how, and why of the minting process, your indifference and dismissal of that knowledge does not speak well of you.   I myself have tried to help you, but you have made it clear that you want no help and are only here to troll, so this will be the last time I reply to any post of yours with the exception of correcting any further misinformation that you may post.

That, by itself, will keep you plenty busy. 

On 4/13/2024 at 7:03 PM, VKurtB said:

clame = claim?

peace = piece?

peaces = pieces?

ware = wear?

Come on. Even in 1915 the striking rate was shorter than one a second. Please study more. Functional illiteracy is not helping your cause. 

On 4/13/2024 at 7:26 PM, Robertdpg said:

Stick you finger in it I dare you. 

That little old peace of metal would not have a chance against those dies and you know it. 

They have worse errors than that when a did fails. Like I said they usually have very good quality control.

On 4/13/2024 at 6:29 PM, Robertdpg said:

Stick you finger in it I dare you. 

That little old peace of metal would not have a chance against those dies and you know it. 

They have worse errors than that when a did fails. Like I said they usually have very good quality control.

Dies are replaced pre-failure. Running a die to failure has always been the exceptional case, and when it does occur, efforts are made to capture and destroy affected coins. 

I'm sure they are in some kind of regular preventative mattanance because they are under extreme pressure while operating. 

That still doesn't mean they don't fail. Or we would not have error like die cracks and such would we?

No that's not the mjnt error. I just found that one while I was going through my change. I just thought it was nice even though it is in bad shape it was one of the first lincoln pennies ever struck. 

Can you imagine how many people held that penny over the last over 100 years?

The mint error is a 1957D it is tore all to peaces on the back. 

My post never said this was a mint error. Now for you guys that know about the 1975D die failure you will be able to see that this one is probably the last die error it made.

On 4/13/2024 at 7:53 PM, VKurtB said:

Dies are replaced pre-failure. Running a die to failure has always been the exceptional case, and when it does occur, efforts are made to capture and destroy affected coins. 

You should go on cuds on coins.com

There are plenty of examples of where the dies failed and yes a bunch with catastrophic failure. 

I understand they have been a lot of coins faked. I think now people are dismissing actual mint errors because of it. But for some one to say they can't understand how damage could happen at the mint needs to look a known errors from catastrophic dioe failure, caped coins, split dies and many more.

On 4/13/2024 at 1:18 PM, Moxie15 said:

I love this attitude. Just think how many pieces of penny candy that coin has purchased. A thousand different hands, countless pockets and change purses. I love the thinking

This is the main reason I collect gently circulated or even heavily circulated coins of any US type.  

On 4/14/2024 at 4:33 PM, Robertdpg said:

Yes and no. They did not pick through and try to find all the miss struck coins but they would grab all easily seen and keep them.... 

On 4/14/2024 at 6:37 PM, Robertdpg said:

But for some one to say they can't understand how damage could happen at the mint needs to look a known errors from catastrophic dioe failure, caped coins, split dies and many more.

If it happens at the mint, it is not damage per se. It is an error. Capped coins are not damage. Nor are struck throughs, grease filled dies, off center strikes, rotated dies, broadstrikes, brockages...none of those things are damage. A coin struck with cracked dies is also not damage. It is a coin struck with a die that has cracks, not a damaged coin. I think you are confusing coins with physical damage done to them after they left the mint with coins that have an issue during striking.

Do you consider your quarter with a cud in the other thread an error or a damaged coin?

Edited by powermad5000

On 4/14/2024 at 7:37 PM, Robertdpg said:

You should go on cuds on coins.com

There are plenty of examples of where the dies failed and yes a bunch with catastrophic failure. 

I understand they have been a lot of coins faked. I think now people are dismissing actual mint errors because of it. But for some one to say they can't understand how damage could happen at the mint needs to look a known errors from catastrophic dioe failure, caped coins, split dies and many more.

I have to say, actual die errors are INCREDIBLY RARE. So much so that most people will never find one. This coin is not an error of any kind, just heavily worn. I would definitely hold on to this, as the fact that it is as old as it is is cool. Don't go spending days trying to find errors, just take time to enjoy every interesting piece you find. I have searched for errors, but I finally corrected my expectations, now I enjoy putting together a large album of coins, and taking the time to appreciate what I have created.