• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Penny Help
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Welcome to  the forum

Simple answer, no.  
Unless a coin is worth at least $150-200, it is not worth grading.   
None of the coins shown are worth near that.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

No, these coins are not worth submitting to a third-party grading service, which is what I assume you mean by "having them graded." Before you even think about submitting coins to grading services, it is essential that you have a good understanding of how to grade and otherwise evaluate coins yourself.

Although these Lincoln cents appear to be uncirculated, they are very common dates of which many uncirculated bags and rolls were saved. They have abrasions, carbon spots, and other issues that would likely result in grades of no higher than MS 64 RD (RB in at least the case of the 1956) and would be worth no more than a few dollars each.  The NGC "Economy" tier grading fee for each of these coins would be $23, to which membership and processing fees and shipping and insurance costs would also be added.    Such coins may be collected and enjoyed in coin albums or other appropriate holders.

If you are interested in learning about and collecting U.S. coins, we can direct you to appropriate print and online resources.  You only need to ask.

Welcome ! Also good you listen to advice about saving your money (as a collector for many years I would say in this hobby you want be “book smart” make the right choices and listen to advice when it’s given when it comes to your collection)

I usually don’t send a coin in for grading unless it’s like over $150-$200 (but most likely I don’t send it for grading) by time I send it in insurance/shipping plus grading fees and so on I have too much wrapped up more than what coin is almost worth plus long wait as well …. Sending coins in for grading should be reserved for “special” stuff higher end stuff , now a days a lot newbies are sending in common date stuff wasting money on slabbing fees and shipping when they could of bought two nice coins from dealer already graded ready to go out the door that day …. 

On 4/8/2024 at 7:38 PM, Jason Abshier said:

Sending coins in for grading should be reserved for “special” stuff higher end stuff

Put this on a stone tablet and hang it on a wall in your man cave. Get a chisel and some flat stones and start with this one.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

If by graded you mean submitted to a third party grading service, the answer is no. The plastic will cost more than the coin inside is worth.

While you provided good photos of the obverses, you did not provide the same for the reverses which could have physical damage, circulation abrasions or environmental damage not found on the obverses but could definitely impact the overall value of the coins.

Just based on the decade these cents are from, you would need very near perfect specimens for these to be worth the costs of submission. Many of the 50's Lincoln Wheats need to grade at a minimum of MS 66 RD (red) just to basically make a break even with TPG grading costs and MS 67 RD to have any substantial value. None of the obverses in your post even come close to those grades and your 56 would be considered a RB (red-brown). Many of these cents were hoarded in substantial amounts by collectors and stored so that is why the value of these cents even in great condition still have a relatively low value.

(parenthetical postscript... none of your lovely "cents" qualify as "pennies."  The former were minted in the United States; the latter were minted in England. They are universally referred to as "wheaties," and, regardless of condition, are prized independent of their numismatic value, for their 90% copper content.)