• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 sms DD ?
2 2

8 posts in this topic

What you are seeing is the result of a badly worn die. Over time as many coins are struck the dies begin to deteriorate. The dies can become misshaped, loose metal, become deformed among many other issues. This is not a collectable or recognized error or variety.  Some coins with certain varieties or more serious issues like die cracks, doubled dies and off-center strikes etc. are more sought after and some highly collectable.   What the coin you have posted shows is die deterioration and deformation causing portions of the coins devices in the lettering to be unstruck or miss struck. This type of condition on a coin is a very common quality control issue from the US Mint which effects millions of coins. It is not considered an error it is just the result of bad quality control and trying to squeeze every penny out of the US Mints coin dies.  

While your 1966 Special Mint Set dime is clearly not struck from a doubled die reverse, I think that it is more likely an example of common strike doubling, also known as machine or mechanical doubling, than it is of die deterioration doubling. The photos are somewhat overexposed, but the secondary image appears to be shallow and shelf-like, which is indicative of strike doubling, which results from a die that is loose in the press rather than from doubling in the die itself (a doubled die) or from a deteriorated die (ghostly secondary images). Both strike doubling and die deterioration doubling are forms of "worthless doubling" that, unlike doubled dies, generally have no collector value.    

Coins struck from doubled dies generally exhibit crisp, clear doubling, with both images on about the same level and "notching" between the images.  You may find the following resources helpful in learning how to distinguish doubled dies from the far more common forms of (worthless) doubling:

Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com)

https://www.doubleddie.com/144801.html and links therein on mechanical doubling (a.k.a. strike or machine doubling), die deterioration doubling, and abrasion doubling.

It is unlikely that there would be a significant doubled die variety on a 1966 Special Mint Set coin that has not already been discovered.  Most significant varieties are listed and usually illustrated on NGC VarietyPlus. See Roosevelt Dimes (1946-Date) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com) for Roosevelt dime varieties. Less significant (and sometimes controversial) varieties are listed on doubleddie.com and varietyvista.com.

I agree with @Sandon on this particular coin and subject. I see a step-like secondary image that is definitely lower than the primary image made by the dies. There can be a number of reasons that this happens and is referred to in a general sense as strike or mechanical doubling.

Die deterioration doubling produces more of a slope-like image as metal from the strike flows out from the recesses in the die as the die itself becomes too worn to make a full strike or to hold the metal from the strike within the recesses of the die which make the image raised on the coin after it is struck. Also, usually (but not always), with die deterioration doubling you can also see flow lines in the metal of the coin going out towards the rim which may just be beginning to start toward the rims on your coin, but is not pronounced as would be with a set of dies that is worn out well past the point of needing replacement. The strike of your coin seems to be sufficient enough as another indicator of strike doubling.

Any of these forms of "doubling" (strike/mechanical or die deterioration/die erosion) are not true forms of doubling, and add no value to the coin exhibiting these characteristics.

On 4/8/2024 at 6:12 AM, Sharon420 said:

I have a 1964 penny I believe is an SMS Penny I would like to know if it is or not

It is not, The SMS coins were not released until 1966 and that included the 1965 SMS set. You may have a proof 1964 coin but not a SMS.

1965 silver.jpg

1965 silver back.jpg

Sharon420

Please do not piggyback on another thread. If you have a question, start your own thread   
with a clear photo of both sides along with your question. In your case without  even  seeing
photos, I can tell you that you do not have a 1964 SMS cent.

On 4/8/2024 at 6:42 AM, Greenstang said:

Sharon420

Please do not piggyback on another thread. If you have a question, start your own thread   
with a clear photo of both sides along with your question. In your case without  even  seeing
photos, I can tell you that you do not have a 1964 SMS cent.

Why oh why do people fall for this junk?

Edited by VKurtB