• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite Mint?
1 1

37 posts in this topic

I have mainly us mint coins but also look at Canadian mint.  I’ve noticed though that once I leave these two I’ve found some other options that I like; and some not so good in quality.   Some of the mints that produce good coins with art also charge a lot of $ for a 1 oz silver coin.  I’ve been happy with east India company.  Germania mint I bought a neat high relief coin, although it didn’t look like I was expecting from their pics I was pleased with the quality.  Pressburg mint I haven’t been fond of from my experience.  Their designs are neat but the striking isn’t as good as what I hope once I receive them in hand.   I like the designs from XXI mint but I don’t think I own their coins so not sure on quality.  
Just curious what your favorite mints are in case I’ve overlooked something.  Which do you feel have good quality?

My all-time favorite was the Intaglio Mint which for reasons unknown, quietly abandoned their line of classic U.S. coins, many rendered in 2-oz .999 silver versions, to pursue Fantasy pieces. 

I follow the Germania mint since day one they started up , their stuff is definitely high quality ! They are starting to become real popular among collectors looking for fantasy silver rounds 

Type 1 - Peppermint

Type 2 - British Royal Mint

There were over 30 mints exhibiting their wares at Berlin, and STILL nobody compares with Britain and Switzerland. 

On 4/7/2024 at 12:04 PM, Jason Abshier said:

@VKurtB what ! No moonlight mint on your list there ? 

I did snag a piece from Dan at Colorado Springs last month. 

On honest note for today’s modern circulated strikes I would strong pick Denver mint … I don’t know if anyone else noticed it but Denver mint sure puts a nice strike on circulating coins compared to other US mints 

On 4/8/2024 at 8:27 PM, Jason Abshier said:

On honest note for today’s modern circulated strikes I would strong pick Denver mint … I don’t know if anyone else noticed it but Denver mint sure puts a nice strike on circulating coins compared to other US mints 

They do generally produce stronger strikes on circulation coins. Frequent PL’s. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/8/2024 at 11:22 PM, VKurtB said:

If you’re see what I’m seeing especially with state quarter series , yes they sorta look PL . Definitely a higher quality strike as well … when ever I get handful change back when shopping I can spot Denver quarter in my hand without even looking at mint mark ! 

Edited by Jason Abshier

On 4/8/2024 at 11:22 PM, VKurtB said:

...its the altitude....

On 4/9/2024 at 1:37 PM, zadok said:

...its the altitude....

Could be, or is it the attitude (in Philly)? Keep in mind, Philly Mint employees are probably over represented among Eagles season ticket holders. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/9/2024 at 2:38 PM, VKurtB said:

Could be, or is it the attitude (in Philly)? Keep in mind, Philly Mint employees are probably over represented among Eagles season ticket holders. 

...plus a turd for qb, but then again we r stuck with qa....

On 4/9/2024 at 2:55 PM, zadok said:

...plus a turd for qb, but then again we r stuck with qa....

I’m glad Kenny Pickett went to Philly he’s an annoying whiner ! He’s trying aim to high and big in NFL wants starter position he was offered one but he wasn’t up for challenge for starter position instead he whined about it…. Bye bye Kenny Pickett I won’t miss him …

On 4/11/2024 at 3:52 AM, Jason Abshier said:

I’m glad Kenny Pickett went to Philly he’s an annoying whiner ! He’s trying aim to high and big in NFL wants starter position he was offered one but he wasn’t up for challenge for starter position instead he whined about it…. Bye bye Kenny Pickett I won’t miss him …

And he is familiar with the PA tax rates. 

On 4/11/2024 at 10:05 AM, VKurtB said:

And he is familiar with the PA tax rates. 

Pittsburgh News ran an article of Kenny Pickett’s house up for sale … mansion !!! For a benchwarmer quarterback I wouldn’t mind being benchwarmer make that kind of money … most NFL players today are whiners it’s all about money and no show or quality style playing … older NFL players played for love of the game 

On 4/11/2024 at 9:40 AM, Jason Abshier said:

Pittsburgh News ran an article of Kenny Pickett’s house up for sale … mansion !!! For a benchwarmer quarterback I wouldn’t mind being benchwarmer make that kind of money … most NFL players today are whiners it’s all about money and no show or quality style playing … older NFL players played for love of the game 

A lot of Eagles live in downtown skyscrapers. But Kenny is one of the backup QB’s that was drafted earlier than the starter. He’s still on his draft contract. Alabama still has love for Jalen Hurts. Actually Tua three different QB’s. 

Edited by VKurtB

At one time the Philadelphia mint made all the dies and ship them to Denver so why were they nicer looking coins. Would not all the dies be the same quality or did Denver juice up the dies.

🐓:  Favorite mint?  Do we even have one?

Q.A.:  Not anymore... I mean, in the '50s and '60s, it was San Francisco. But it was for the mintmark. Later, it was Carson City. For the mintmark. Now it's neither for the mintmark or the Mint.  The product is everything. Far as I know, no mint puts out a good product all of the time.  When I set my eyes on a gold rooster for the first time, I don't think it even occurred to me where in France it came from.

🐓:  Okay, so if someone handed you an alphabetized list of mints --

Q.A.:  -- it would mean absolutely nothing to me. This may come as a surprise to you but plenty of French coins have roosters on them.  They look scrawny and unfed. There's even one standing on one leg. Absolutely cartoon-like! Look at the one on the 20-Francs piece. It's head is cocked back. It's mouth is open. It looks like it doesn't have a care in the world!  

With a few exceptions, right now one of the nicest coins around is the Kennedy half.  Everything about it screams presidential.  It ain't the Mint, And it ain't the mintmark. It's the product. A brand-new LHC (fake to the core) is no match for an authentic wartime GETO coin from Poland. Copper mascara is no match for an historical piece wherever and by whomever it was minted. You wouldn't understand.

On 4/11/2024 at 4:40 PM, J P M said:

At one time the Philadelphia mint made all the dies and ship them to Denver so why were they nicer looking coins. Would not all the dies be the same quality or did Denver juice up the dies.

I work with hydraulic equipment.  Not knowing for certain but I would think if all dies were equal at both mints then the pressure and strike speed may play a role.  I’m sure there is finesse to getting a good strike regardless of the die used.

On 4/11/2024 at 8:58 PM, Rob’s Coins said:

I work with hydraulic equipment.  Not knowing for certain but I would think if all dies were equal at both mints then the pressure and strike speed may play a role.  I’m sure there is finesse to getting a good strike regardless of the die used.

Yes, I think the Denver mint has much better or a different type of equipment.

On 4/12/2024 at 7:51 AM, J P M said:

Yes, I think the Denver mint has much better or a different type of equipment.

I have NO inside information on WHY Denver coins look better, but I can say what it LOOKS LIKE. It looks like a lower throughput speed and a longer die to planchet contact time. Now, that makes no sense. It just looks that way. They even have higher rims. 

Edited by VKurtB