• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1997 p
1 1

6 posts in this topic

It looks like the reeded edge has been pushed over to the rim. If so not an error just wear and tear.

On 4/6/2024 at 11:49 AM, J P M said:

It looks like the reeded edge has been pushed over to the rim. If so not an error just wear and tear.

Just wanna be sure ir is another pic and thanks for you info 

image.jpg

IMG_3560.jpeg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Your 1997-P dime exhibits a minor error or quality control issue known as a "collar clash".  See https://www.error-ref.com/collar-clash/.  These are rather common and of little or no collector value but still an interesting find. 

If you are "new [to] this", it is very important that you learn basic information about coins before getting into advanced topics such as mint errors, which require an understanding of how coins are made and significant examples of which are almost never found in circulation.  Do you have such basic resources such as a "Red Book", a grading guide, and a subscription to a current price guide?

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I knew I had seen something with a similar effect to the dime you posted here and it seems @l.cutler beat me to it. While it is a legitimate mint error, and the dime itself seems to be in great condition for its age, it still might only get a slight premium for the error. We are talking about maybe $15-$20. If in the case of it being graded, the grading costs would be a wash with its potential value.

It is nice to see a coin posted however that has a legitimate error and not just damage like most posts on here claiming the damage to be an error. Nice find! (thumbsu