• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1990 Proof S ?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  

No, this coin is one of the over 6.8 billion 1990 cents struck at the Philadelphia mint. The rare "No S" proofs were issued in a small minority of mint sealed 1990 proof sets, and to my knowledge none has ever been found in circulation.  Proofs would have mirror fields and frosted devices and lettering that are absent from this coin.

Hello and welcome!

There are some cents of this era for whatever reason seem to have exceptionally bright and reflective surfaces on the copper plating. In some cases, this condition persists despite its age and circulation. I myself can't really explain this. I have found many 90's cents in circulation with either bright red color despite circulation wear, or some that still have a bright surface despite circulation.

Proofs are produced differently than the coin you have posted which is a regular circulation issue. A proof would have a mirrored surface and sharpness of details that is not found on your coin, as well as frosted devices. The differences in the hair, beard and suit of Abe would be glaring if you held your coin up next to an actual proof.

On 4/6/2024 at 3:36 PM, powermad5000 said:

Hello and welcome!

There are some cents of this era for whatever reason seem to have exceptionally bright and reflective surfaces on the copper plating. In some cases, this condition persists despite its age and circulation. I myself can't really explain this. I have found many 90's cents in circulation with either bright red color despite circulation wear, or some that still have a bright surface despite circulation.

Proofs are produced differently than the coin you have posted which is a regular circulation issue. A proof would have a mirrored surface and sharpness of details that is not found on your coin, as well as frosted devices. The differences in the hair, beard and suit of Abe would be glaring if you held your coin up next to an actual proof.

But by all means, DO treasure hunt for a rare proof coin without the slightest clue what a proof coin even looks like.