• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Today's Roll Hunter Find
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I am beginning to feel your likelihood of finding something, anything, of note or value is largely dependent on where you live, work, or spend your time. I live in New York City. Every bank and ATM is a branch of the FRB.  Same goes for currency. Machine-rolled and shrink-wrapped.  No surprises. I should have known better when a young teller at a Chase branch told me if I liked halves, I'd love the dollar coins.  I told him not really. I liked the large heavy coins.  He said, "that's what I have... the older ones!"  My instinct told me no way he meant Morgans.  Sure enough, he came out with a dozen hand-rolled Ikes. I got 'em and gave most of them away to people who had never seen them before.  My theory is, since most were dual dated Bicentennials, an old-timer held onto them hoping they'd be valuable one day. It wasn't until I became a member and read a thread about them that I learned they were worth more than face. What I would have done had I known better is screen out the better ones and give those away to the members here who collect those things.  Anyway, I do enjoy reading about your latest finds! Who knows, you may yet have the last laugh!  (thumbsu

I just got the same 05 Buffalo in my change from Dunkin Donuts today but it is not in as good of shape as that one. The face IS banged up.