• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2016 penny error
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hello 

I found this penny and it looked a bit different, wondering if anyone could help me find out if it could be worth something getting looked at

thanks in advance

IMG_7210.jpeg

IMG_7209.jpeg

IMG_7207.jpeg

Welcome to the forum

We see these quite often on the forum.  
As Coinbuf stated, just a vise job or sometimes called a garage job.  
 Someone with too much time on their hands. A damaged coin now.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I'm not too sure on this coin. On the obverse, it looks like the word UNITED is backward and not incuse and you can faintly see the word CENT near the date and that also does not seem to be incuse. If you pressed a reverse into the obverse with Lincoln's bust, those elements would end up being incused from pressing positive image letters into the surface which would leave behind incuse lettering. Or am I just not seeing it right. 

The reason  the "C" and "E" of "CENT" look normal is because they are upside down. You can tell that the "N" is backwards, though, because that letter doesn't look the same upside down as it does right side up.

Hold the reverse of a memorial cent upside down, and then imagine what it would look like if you could see through it from the other side, or imagine what design a piece of clay would show if the coin were pressed into it upside down. It would match the lettering on the OP's coin.

Edited by Just Bob

It matters not. It cannot be. There would be no Lincoln Memorial reverse die anywhere around the press to make this impression on a 2016 Shield cent. The last Memorial cent was 2008. 

Well, that is the last time I try to do the chat board on my phone. Couldn't see the pic so clear. I'm on my laptop now and it didn't take me but a second to see that was a Memorial Cent reverse pressed into it. No more cell chat for me!