• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How would I access a detailed narrative of the specific criteria used and issues found regarding a NGC graded coin?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I recently acquired a NGC graded coin and I checked and verified it. However, I would like to access more specific data from the individual "graders" as to what specific details of the coin that were used to influence their grade score. Example: Coin was classified as PF due to die strike marks that are only found on proof struck coins and what those specific marks/identifiers are. Is there a database that can be accessed in NGC that will provide a narrative/summary detailing the specific reasons used in the grading process?

On 3/28/2024 at 11:16 AM, maccullen said:

I recently acquired a NGC graded coin and I checked and verified it. However, I would like to access more specific data from the individual "graders" as to what specific details of the coin that were used to influence their grade score. Example: Coin was classified as PF due to die strike marks that are only found on proof struck coins and what those specific marks/identifiers are. Is there a database that can be accessed in NGC that will provide a narrative/summary detailing the specific reasons used in the grading process?

Nowhere, what you seek is not available, graders generally do not make notes of coins they grade and the grading companies do not publish any information related to any individual coin or the grading of any individual coin.

Welcome to the forum.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 3/28/2024 at 1:16 PM, maccullen said:

No such thing. The grading process is faaaaaaarrrrr quicker than you are imagining. It takes mere seconds. Nobody is keeping notes. 

Blasphemy! Burn 'em at the stake in front of the Cathedral - just like Esmeralda !

TPGs are Sacred. They do not have an obligation to explain their decisions to anyone or anything.

I shall only go so far as to suggest the query is highly irregular (and possibly unorthodox) without further elaboration. (And even after responding as I have with remarkable restraint, I suspect I may have stuck my neck out waaay too far, by simply entertaining the thought.)  

Edited by Henri Charriere
Add word.

On 3/28/2024 at 5:11 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I shall only go so far as to suggest the query is highly irregular (and possibly unorthodox) without further elaboration. (And even after responding as I have with remarkable restraint, I suspect I may have stuck my neck out waaay too far, by simply entertaining the thought.)  

...so sad...babble babble babble...never ends never adds anything, just noise....

Thank you all for your quick and somewhat knowledgeable responses. I am new to possessing graded coins and I just wanted to have a better understanding about how it is done. I couldn't imagine that it is such a subjective and secretive process with no opportunity to review the grading criteria, question the results or submit a rebuttal. Its just my nature that when I pay for something I like to understand and get a full explanation of what I paid for. Stupid me!

On 3/28/2024 at 5:33 PM, maccullen said:

Thank you all for your quick and somewhat knowledgeable responses. I am new to possessing graded coins and I just wanted to have a better understanding about how it is done. I couldn't imagine that it is such a subjective and secretive process with no opportunity to review the grading criteria, question the results or submit a rebuttal. Its just my nature that when I pay for something I like to understand and get a full explanation of what I paid for. Stupid me!

After spending some time looking at coins and feeding your brain with information you may be able to grade your own coins and save a buck.

Third-party grading services evaluate thousands of coins each day, so it wouldn't be feasible for them to provide a detailed, written analysis of each coin that they certify.  You only get what they put on that little paper tag. This doesn't prevent you from performing your own research and doing your own analysis.  

There is no way to know what the graders at the table actually took into account when they graded your coin. For the most part, the label in the slab states what they saw when they graded it.

If there is some type of issue you find with your grade, you can inquire on the Ask/NGC forum and see if you can get a response about your particular situation.

There is a rebuttal but not a traditional verbal rebuttal. You can resubmit the coin for a regrade, however, it will cost you more funds and typically does not change the initial results unless there was a mechanical error made by NGC during the labeling process (i.e. some information such as a variety that was paid for that is in Variety Plus, but is not reflected on the slabbed label). I have only resubmitted one coin out of my several hundred submissions with notes for the graders on why I thought it should have graded one level higher, but it returned regraded with the same grade as I got the first time.

You are always free to post pictures of it here and let the members here have a look see and provide you with an opinion from the forum.

On 3/28/2024 at 4:33 PM, maccullen said:

It’s all good. We have internalized these truths many years ago.

Here’s a little math. NGC, just NGC, has graded over 60,000,000 coins, and they have been at this for 37 years, give or take. The math works out to something close to 8,000 coins per day, allowing for fairly frequent overtime. That’s about 1000 an hour, or more of less 17 coins per minute. How many concurrent grading rooms are there? I don’t know, but I’ll bet it’s less than 10. That would make 1.7 coins per minute per room at the very very least. Are you starting to understand the problem? Moral of the story: NOBODY is spending any kind of time on your coins. 

Edited by VKurtB

When you spend to have a coin graded, you are buying expertise and experience, not somebody’s time. You ain’t getting anyone’s time, just their expertise and judgment. Want a narrative? See any mainstream media outlet. :roflmao:

Edited by VKurtB