• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I received from a pls a $2017 A series $20 with a tea cup on back, is it an error??
1 1

10 posts in this topic

They actually switched the ink up with the 2017 A series to differentiate from the 2017 bills. Maybe it's an official trademark who knows..

Either someone goofing around or a chop mark, impossible to say which unless you can figure out the origin of the stamp. Some people collect notes with chops from circulation, nobody pays a premium for them, at least nothing much above face. Supposedly, chops are more common on higher denominated bills which have come back to the U.S. from overseas. There's been talk of individuals putting together a reference for chop marked U.S. bills but they always seem to fall through from a lack of interest and being able to match chops to a source.

On 3/26/2024 at 1:16 PM, Youngmoola said:

They actually switched the ink up with the 2017 A series to differentiate from the 2017 bills. Maybe it's an official trademark who knows..

Purportedly, in 2019 the BEP changed suppliers for some inks and switched to "improved" blends for others. The BEP made a determination that those "production" changes warranted a series change and that is why they went from series 2017 to 2017A. The stamp has nothing to do with the BEP or the actual printing of the note.

While I am into paper money as well and have a minor collection of some of it, even I realize this is not the forum to ask questions about it. Coins - yes. Paper - no.

I believe there is a separate forum for questions regarding paper currency. 

In the days before currency was revamped with the introduction of security threads and watermarks, you would come across [mainly twenties] which had been swiped with an anti-counterfeiting pen leaving a dark mark behind.

It is becoming increasingly more difficult to counterfeit U.S. currency.

One hand "stamp" I thought was creative bore a website where recipients of a one-dollar bill could enter the location of their bill while seeing where "George (W) had been."  Dollar bills have a circulation life of about eighteen months.

On 3/26/2024 at 5:48 PM, Youngmoola said:

.I'll rather auction it off than let a nobody talk down on my find..

Not another one! One more con artist for the list.