• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1992 D penny close AM
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Ok this is my second post on this site so I'll make brief. So I have (what looks to me) like a 1992 D penny with the "close AM" on the reverse. However I'm not sure how close the A M should be so to be considered, and, or called a "close AM". Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

close AM-1.jpg

On 3/25/2024 at 5:24 AM, Green2 said:

Ok this is my second post on this site so I'll make brief. So I have (what looks to me) like a 1992 D penny with the "close AM" on the reverse. However I'm not sure how close the A M should be so to be considered, and, or called a "close AM". Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

close AM-1.jpg

I got told the other day that my 1992-D is not even close to a CAM. This was mine. Unfortunately what you have is not a CAM. It is A WAM. If you go online and look at bids for these or you go to PCGS CoinFacts you’ll see how close the A to M really is.

D595AB16-1EB7-4821-AE48-12AAC52A87B2.jpeg

On 3/25/2024 at 2:24 AM, Green2 said:

Thank you

The A and M will be so close that they appear to touch, they do not on your coin.   But in addition you need the initials to be in the correct place, on a close AM the initials will be pushed out away from the base of the memorial.   The initials on your coin are close to the base thus your coin is a WAM, see the pic below for the difference. 

wide-am-vs-close-am.jpg

I am repeating myself here  but as I have stated previously, do NOT go by the distance in the AM,   
there are two many variables. Either go by the distance of the initials from the memorial as Coinbuf.  
has indicated or by the TAT in states. If the A is  centered ( A T A), then it is a WAM.   
If the A is off to the right (T AT) then it is a CAM.   
This way there should be no confusion about the distance between the A and M.

Ok I get it I can absolutely see what to look out for now on this coin,  and thank you for that. In fact thank you to everyone who chimed in on this topic, I really appreciate it very much. I just ran into a handful of coins that I'm trying to sort out with really no experience in this field at all. That being said you guys will be seeing a lot more of me on this platform asking (what appears to be ) these very basic questions that everyone, (except me) seems to know the answers to. Thanks so much in advance for all of your patience and understanding. 

On 3/25/2024 at 6:34 PM, Green2 said:

Ok I get it I can absolutely see what to look out for now on this coin,  and thank you for that. In fact thank you to everyone who chimed in on this topic, I really appreciate it very much. I just ran into a handful of coins that I'm trying to sort out with really no experience in this field at all. That being said you guys will be seeing a lot more of me on this platform asking (what appears to be ) these very basic questions that everyone, (except me) seems to know the answers to. Thanks so much in advance for all of your patience and understanding. 

Just understand up front that the likelihood of finding one of the rare pieces is infinitesimally small. They’re called rare coins for a very valid reason. 

On 3/25/2024 at 9:33 AM, Mustacheman said:

I got told the other day that my 1992-D is not even close to a CAM. This was mine. Unfortunately what you have is not a CAM. It is A WAM. If you go online and look at bids for these or you go to PCGS CoinFacts you’ll see how close the A to M really is.

D595AB16-1EB7-4821-AE48-12AAC52A87B2.jpeg

I’m gonna help you out my man. Seeing as we both as so new at this, I’ll tell ya what helps me to pinpoint certain possibilities. Download an app called PCGS CoinFacts. You won’t regret it. It will tel you all you need to know.

On 3/25/2024 at 9:03 PM, Mustacheman said:

I’m gonna help you out my man. Seeing as we both as so new at this, I’ll tell ya what helps me to pinpoint certain possibilities. Download an app called PCGS CoinFacts. You won’t regret it. It will tel you all you need to know.

Hardly.