• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 D quarter double die obverse is it rare
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hiya!, there is a minor DDO for the 1972 quarter.  Unfortunately, to my limited understanding, it was caused by Master Hub Doubling which affected a significant number of coins and is quite minor in its' effect.  Unfortunately not rare.  More experienced/knowledgeable members will provide better detail than I can. 

Hello and welcome to the forum!

On 3/24/2024 at 12:17 AM, cobymordet said:

there is a minor DDO for the 1972 quarter.

Where did you find this? I checked Variety Vista and Wexlers and neither site had a DDO for a 1972 D much less one for a 1972 (P). I am just wondering what site you were on that had this listed.

To the OP, from what I am able to ascertain from a search, there is no listed 1972 D Washington Quarter DDO either in NGC's Variety Plus (this website), Variety Vista, or Wexlers. I found a listing for a 1972 D Washington Quarter DDR on Wexlers but that is not what is being discussed here.

In light of that, I took a pic of your coin so I could zoom in on what you might be seeing, and it is of my opinion that there is some minor strike doubling on the left of the L of LIBERTY and on the face and head of George, but it is not legitimate doubling which would be given a variety attribution.

On 3/24/2024 at 12:46 AM, powermad5000 said:

Where did you find this? I checked Variety Vista and Wexlers and neither site had a DDO for a 1972 D much less one for a 1972 (P). I am just wondering what site you were on that had this listed.

PM5K, twice today you have dragged me to the light of my gross oversight.  No DDO, just DDR.  OP, my apologies.  Leaping before looking has been my forte for far too long.

On 3/24/2024 at 1:12 AM, cobymordet said:

PM5K, twice today you have dragged me to the light of my gross oversight.  No DDO, just DDR.

I was not trying to call you out onto the carpet. I was just wondering if there was a source I had overlooked. Even I make mistakes sometimes and overlook things. Seems this happens mostly when I am beyond tired from working. I received a day off Friday so with my three day weekend ongoing and having gotten an 11 hour and a 10 hour sleep shift in the last two days, I am feeling sharp and alert! xD (:

On 3/24/2024 at 1:46 AM, powermad5000 said:

Hello and welcome to the forum!

To the OP, from what I am able to ascertain from a search, there is no listed 1972 D Washington Quarter DDO either in NGC's Variety Plus (this website), Variety Vista, or Wexlers. I found a listing for a 1972 D Washington Quarter DDR on Wexlers but that is not what is being discussed here.

In light of that, I took a pic of your coin so I could zoom in on what you might be seeing, and it is of my opinion that there is some minor strike doubling on the left of the L of LIBERTY and on the face and head of George, but it is not legitimate doubling which would be given a variety attribution.

I found this quarter and could not find anything about. Thank you