• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1927 5C Buffalo Nickel Special Strike
2 2

111 posts in this topic

Just got a quick photo of one of the coins but don’t know why it looks darker than what it really is, color or is like a light beige cream color. 

Got a quick photo of one of the coins of the 1927 Buffalos but don’t know why the photo came out darker than what it really is because it’s a light beige cream color or something close to that. 

Please confirm if this coin is a 1927 Buffalo Nickel is a Special Strike? Other coin is almost identical except much better condition. Also please provide detailed description explaining your decision. 

There is no point to answering your questions. You refuse to listen to facts regardless....................................................

See that little "D" beneath "FIVE CENTS" on the last photo posted, which I assume is of the reverse of the coin purported to be a "Special Strike"? It is the mintmark of the Denver mint. The coin is a 1927-D, not a 1927, in Very Good condition, with a retail value of $6 per Coin World and $10 per the NGC Price Guide. The pieces authenticated as "Special" or "Experimental" strikes were coined at the Philadelphia mint and had no mint mark. If the OP has read any numismatic literature to the contrary, he should please cite it.

I can't believe that the OP is serious.  I don't know why he is wasting his own as well as our time. 

Edited by Sandon
corrected typo

That’s why I made it clear it had no mint because on photo it does look like something is there but it’s nothing. I think it’s the shine somehow got it to look like there is but let me get better photos

On 3/29/2024 at 12:39 PM, VasquezJ said:

Please confirm if this coin is a 1927 Buffalo Nickel is a Special Strike? Other coin is almost identical except much better condition. Also please provide detailed description explaining your decision.

With only 5 in existence and 4 of those being graded, reality must be bending to your will if you have two of these.  I would ask you how you came into possession of an ultra rare coin, but I imagine you will say you found it in change from yer favorite store.  Please exit the Numismatic world.  It is not capable of containing the likes of you.  Try stamp collecting.  I can't wait for you to find more upside-down Jenny's. 

image.png.fbae654daf1c917a067e038f9f661cc7.png

Honestly those coins belong to my wife’s grandfather which passed away about 10 years ago around there and coins stayed behind with grandmother but she just had them in an old open jar shed and never thought nothing of them and about 2 weeks ago more less she heard me talk about some coins and told me there was some coins in the back shed if I wanted them so I just yes I would take them but when I saw them I really didn’t think much of them because they were all full of dust and really dirty and after I got home I really didn’t mess with them till a few days later and noticed most of them looked really different then average Business Strike buffalo coins so I started doing research on them and was surprised to see what I was finding. Afterwards I asked my wife about more details of those coins and she said her grandfather always would mention something about some valuable buffalo coins he owned but she didn’t know much on that because she never saw anything and she didn’t think it would be those coins he was referring too. 

On 3/29/2024 at 1:57 PM, VasquezJ said:

That’s why I made it clear it had no mint because on photo it does look like something is there but it’s nothing. I think it’s the shine somehow got it to look like there is but let me get better photos

Here is a cropped version of the reverse photo of this purported "Special Strike" coin:

image.png.2321f11d1a200989d0a885d25a6c9feb.png

There's a "D' mintmark, alright! The small, thin "D" mintmark was standard for this era.  Here are the NGC Coin Explorer Photos of an uncirculated 1927-D nickel, showing what the mintmark would have looked like before the coin became so worn.

1927 D 5C MS

1927 D 5C MS

image.png

Send them in for grading and attribution. Why wait? They are easily worth $8,000,000.00 USD each. Hopefully this time NGC will take the correct fees and use that money to throw a party or two.

Edited by LOCK34

The coins in your photos are ordinary items pulled from pocket change. During the 1950s average circulation quality was approximately like your coins. Adding more photos does not change anything.

On 3/26/2024 at 3:35 AM, VasquezJ said:

Received one photo only and not around coin to get any more photos till tomorrow afternoon but anyways there a view of the rim. 

1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111.jpg

lf.jpg

On 3/29/2024 at 7:01 PM, JKK said:

This has got to be a candidate for the 2024 Most Wasted Time And Typing On The NGC Boards.

It has my vote.