• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1927 5C Buffalo Nickel Special Strike
2 2

111 posts in this topic

And yes there’s I think like 6 of them that are exactly the same way. Will also take them to a few local coin dealers just to get second opinion. Not going through every coin thinking it’s a rare coin, just know what I’m looking at. Either way il post results after I submit them. 

I still have an MS70 1943 Copper Cent that looks like a shoe. I took it to my local shoe store and the guy there told me it in fact looks like a shoe. I rebuke any statements from you experts that it does not look like a shoe…………..

08F5EB3A-05C8-45ED-9500-0B3B17826C7B.jpeg

@VasquezJ if you want a nice nice Buffalo nickel?  my advice as long time collector with enough common sense is to save your money and stop submitting worn down coins that are not even worth submissions nor slabbing fees 

I'm not a professional grader or master or anything like that … but I do study up on coinage and I have for over 30+ years , I’m still learning new stuff each year in the hobby …. I would not waste my time nor my money sending in any of the coins you are showing us …. Why why why ??? Would someone waste such money like that when they could buy MS coin and build a decent collection something to have pride about wroth showing …. 

On 3/25/2024 at 10:55 PM, VasquezJ said:

Yes I understand that, but like you said an in person inspection would by best option but il for sure post up more photos so you can view them and have a better understanding of what I’m talking about. 

(Just curious to know why you render the words, "I am," consistently and correctly as the contraction, "I'm," but decline to extend that courtesy to "I will," which you render inexplicably as the contraction, "il," -- with no capital letter i, no apostrophe, and only one l and not two?)

Edited by Henri Charriere
Die polishing for clarity.

On 3/26/2024 at 3:37 AM, VasquezJ said:

There’s no regular circulated Buffalo with a square sharp rim like that only Proof Buffalos. 

You are correct that most of these business strike nickels have a thin, sharp or somewhat rounded rim when they are uncirculated, but, if you look at nickels (or pictures of nickels) that are very worn, like your coin, you will find that many of them have rims that have been worn flat and have a square appearance the same as your coin. If you submit this coin to NGC for authenticating as something special, it is going to be another expensive lesson (hopefully) learned. 

Ok well show me at least one photo and any business coin that looks at least somewhat similarly to this coin. Don’t think you’ll ever find it because it doesn’t exist except for the Proofs. 

On 3/26/2024 at 11:42 AM, VasquezJ said:

Ok well show me at least one photo and any business coin that looks at least somewhat similarly to this coin. Don’t think you’ll ever find it because it doesn’t exist except for the Proofs. 

You should use the $2,000,000 USD that you realized from the sale of your one cent coin to get a book published. You have more numismatic knowledge than all of the people who participate in the forums combined and also more knowledge than the major TPG services currently in operation. Your not sharing your remarkable knowledge is a crime to the hobby. 

All of those look like business buffalo coins. Not even close to being a proof. How long you been dealing with coins? Just asking, no disrespect in any way. 

On 3/26/2024 at 12:50 PM, VasquezJ said:

All of those look like business buffalo coins. Not even close to being a proof. How long you been dealing with coins? Just asking, no disrespect in any way. 

No. They are exactly like the coins that you posted photos of. Large square rims all. All of them are excessively rare and valuable. The gold buffalo I posted is the ultra rare transitional solid gold version. It is so rare that it is not mentioned in any literature anywhere and the experts on this forum have never even heard of it. Now that is rare. 

On 3/26/2024 at 12:50 PM, VasquezJ said:

How long you been dealing with coins? Just asking, no disrespect in any way. 

Longer than you have been alive. None of the coins you have posted are proofs. Hope you learn more before spending any more money on coins. 

Once again, the OP needs to submit these coins to NGC asap and come back to this thread and post photos of the returned coins in the slabs.

On 3/25/2024 at 8:37 PM, VasquezJ said:

Or even better, what coin show you wanna meet at and I can have the coin experts tell both of us if it’s a Special Strike or not and we’ll find out right there and then. 

Well you do have a sparkling personality as you have shown here, but your shocking lack of numismatic acumen would make meeting up a complete yawn event for me so I will pass on your gracious offer and simply continue to watch the clown show from here.   But please don't let that stop you from wasting more of your money on another circus submission, I assume that you will keep us in the loop as to how you do with this obviously circulated common Buffalo like you have with your other coin, yes.

On 3/26/2024 at 6:09 PM, powermad5000 said:

Once again, the OP needs to submit these coins to NGC asap and come back to this thread and post photos of the returned coins in the slabs.

That may take years to happen. His current walk through of his $2,000,000.00 USD one cent coin is taking forever and ever…………………

image.jpeg.4dd0ea9f84e56fd517d83d25a65320d8.jpeg

This is not a coin. It is the plaster model Fraser prepared in August 1912. It was supposed to be the adopted design -- until Hobbs got involved and a spineless Sec of Treasury stuck his head in the sand. (See Renaissance of American Coinage 1909-1915 for details.)

Once in a while, I come to my senses and have something intelligent to say.  This is one of those times.

I know that suggesting an incalcitrant or recalcitrant member submit a coin, clearly lacking in any redeeming physical characteristics, is the national pastime on this Forum, but I have never indulged in this sport. I believe it to be cruel and insensitive while serving no useful purpose.  There are better ways to get one's point across.  

Some members opt-out. The rest of us understand. One member helpfully provides figures for what the sum-total cost of a submission entails.  It isn't cheap -- and not entirely risk-free. (Viewers will recall one member's promising find (an old Victorian something-or-other was lost in the Twilight Zone that the mails have become).  I believe the responsible tack to take is emphasizing the good advice that has been given while noting a submission may not be cost-effective for all coins.

We all come from different walks of life, backgrounds and schools of thought.  We share, however, one thing in common: our love of collecting.  We should cherish every moment we have here and count our blessings. And we should be more patient and understanding with those who are new to the hobby. 🐓 

Here is a properly cropped version of the OP's image of the well-worn (Very Good to Fine or so, based on the obverse) 1927 Buffalo nickel claimed by the OP to have originated as a "Special Strike". (We've never been shown a photo of the reverse and can't even determine that it was minted in Philadelphia, where such pieces were made).

image.png.b4ac66aa58f987f432d172f8776a4ab8.png

This coin does not have a "squared off" edge as contended by the OP. The top of the edge appears mostly angled or beveled where it meets the rim, although it is not possible to say for sure what it looked like when the coin was struck due to edge nicks and wear from circulation.  

The following photos are edge views of two early Jefferson nickels (from the same era as later Buffalo nickels) in fairly recent PCGS holders that allow a view of portions of their edges, (1) a proof of 1938 graded PR 64 and (2) a circulation strike of 1939 graded MS 63:

1938Proofnickeledge.thumb.jpg.ac16ba6b21584df85bd789f957911b86.jpg

1939nickeledge.thumb.jpg.36294d7d5b08192f6b988ca00916aa71.jpg

On the proof, the edge is only slightly slanted where it meets the rim, as is typical for a proof, which is what is referred to as a "squared off" edge. On the circulation strike, the edge has a slightly wider slanted or beveled area between the edge and the rim, as is typical for a circulation strike and more closely resembles the OP's 1927.  These differences are subtle and may vary from issue to issue and coin to coin, which is why the presence or absence of a "squared off" edge is not determinative of a coin's status as a proof or a circulation strike in the first place.  It appears to me, however, that the OP has put forward no evidence whatsoever that his worn 1927 nickel originated as a "Special Strike".   

Just for your information I did take coin to 3 coin dealers and all confirmed to be a 1927 Buffalo Nickel Special Strike. Either all 3 different coin dealers were wrong or you’re wrong. So yes it will get graded and will post results as well. 👍🏼

On 3/26/2024 at 9:50 PM, VasquezJ said:

Either all 3 different coin dealers were wrong or you’re wrong.

There it is @Henri Charriere.  When words fall on deaf ears, that is why certain responses are elicited from some members, myself included.

Being this is the second time I recall on these posts being made upon which opinions stated are not entertained, and this time blatantly called out as being wrong, I will however, HC, use from this point your other mechanism. Consider it done.

I assume that, just as you won't show us a photo of the reverse of the coin, you won't identify any of the dealers whom you claim agreed that the coin was a "Special Strike" or state the basis of their opinions. Correct?

As for submitting the coin to a grading service, that's up to you.  I would expect that one or more of the dealers who thought it was a "Special Strike" would have been eager to assist you with your submission.

Don’t have to believe anything I said, don’t even bother me like that but I will post results of both 1943 Bronze and 1927 Special Strike Buffalo and then we’ll see what’s said after that but either way I let evidence speak for it self. 

On both coins I got several in person inspections by coin experts to confirm what I seeing and was confirmed that’s why I’m 💯 % positive there both actual authentic coins just of course still had to get them both graded. Until results are in then we know results in details about both coins.