• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with verification
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I am just learning about coin collecting and I have a few pennies that I believe may be error coins according to the pcgs price guide. I also have the strike it rich book for reference, but I have a hard time with the difference between machine doubling and ones that are ddo/ddr and other things that I question.. I have pictures from my coin scope saved and was hoping I could have another opinion from someone who is more experienced . I will add an example of one my pennies that I strongly believe is an error.

IMG_20240309_204536346.jpg

IMG_20240309_204543926.jpg

I was afraid that was going to be the case. How long have you been collecting? Are you pretty knowledgeable when it comes to deciphering damage vs mint error or double dies?

If you don’t believe a seasoned veteran with over 6500 posts that specializes in cents,   
then I guess no one else will be able to help you. ( In my humble opinion, I agree with Coinbuf)

On 3/21/2024 at 4:08 PM, VinD91 said:

I was afraid that was going to be the case. How long have you been collecting? Are you pretty knowledgeable when it comes to deciphering damage vs mint error or double dies?

I have been collecting for 40+ years, most of that time was spent collecting Lincolns.   I have several top five registry sets for wheat cents and also for wheat and memorial cents combined, so I know a thing or three about cents.   I do not consider myself an expert nor do I know everything about numismatics, but I have seen my share of real and fake errors over the years.   And I consider myself reasonably knowledgeable and able to identify doubled die coins from the common and worthless types of doubling like strike doubling, die deterioration doubling, and split plating with a high degree of accuracy.

But I am not alone in that regard, we have many advanced numismatists here on the forum with a tremendous wealth of knowledge.

On 3/21/2024 at 6:51 PM, VinD91 said:

I am just learning about coin collecting

I also have the strike it rich book for reference

You will never "strike it rich" by looking through pocket change! I've been checking my and sometimes other people's change for as long as I've been collecting and studying U.S. coins--nearly 53 years now--and have never found any coin worth more than a few dollars that way. I know only one collector who ever found a significant mint error in change. Some print and online resources from which you should be learning are described in the following forum topics:

I have been collecting for 45+ years and know this was not produced in the mint striking chamber. I am also in the camp this was a vice job. One dead giveaway is the incuse and backwards lettering on the memorial. A coin with raised lettering was pressed into the reverse. Dies are made with a negative image so the struck coin becomes a positive image. This means the die is made by removing metal from the die making a recess for the metal from the strike to flow into. If somehow a coin was double struck after being rotated, the design elements would still be raised above the surface, not incuse.

This book you referenced has been becoming more mentioned on the forums here with accompanying requests to review coins that are damaged intentionally or accidentally. It seems whoever authored this book had little to no experience with coins as they are attributing damage to being errors. I would recommend you to throw out this book and purchase a Redbook of United States Coins as well as a book titled ANA Grading Standards for United States Coins, 7th Edition.

Error collecting is a niche in the hobby and takes its own special advanced education. If you are in doubt on whether a coin is an error, you can try to look it up on the website error-ref.com. If you can't find an example of your coin on that site, it is not an error and most likely damage.

I never meant to make it sound like I didn't believe anyone, I am just looking to learn. I am not out to try to get rich off of error coins. I just found it as a fun hobby. I am thankful for the help I am receiving 

On 3/22/2024 at 2:22 AM, VinD91 said:

I never meant to make it sound like I didn't believe anyone, I am just looking to learn. I am not out to try to get rich off of error coins. I just found it as a fun hobby. I am thankful for the help I am receiving

This is a great place to come to and learn. And this hobby is fun. It becomes not fun for people when they follow misinformation, however. When you come here, you will get solid correct information. I hope you keep going in the hobby as the longer you stick with it, the more fun it gets.

On 3/22/2024 at 4:05 PM, powermad5000 said:

.... When you come here, you will get solid correct information....

Well, let's not go overboard. We all make mistakes. None of us are infallible. Let's just say opinions rendered here are made in good faith.  There is no hidden agenda. "And the best thing... the best thing of all, is there is time. All the time I need. All the time I want... Time Enough at Last."  - Burgess Meredith, Twilight Zone.  :hi:

I also have the strike it rich book for reference

Please do all us on here a favor either burn this book or throw it in trash …. If it were true ! All of us collectors who been collecting 20-30-40 even 50 years we would have been stinking rich by now ….. sadly our hobby been under attack by “uneducated people” who rip off newer collectors with dumb YouTube videos and books written by some author we never heard of in numismatic hobby nor do they even collect or study coins or coinage history …. Beware what you read and believe about our hobby ! Stick around here read some forums learn from older collectors who been at it for years all this knowledge is FREE to you if you’re willing to sit back and learn 

error coin collecting is not an easy field to get into , I know few guys that’s all they collect is error coins they devoted their entire years into collecting errors and varieties coins they are good at it because they study up on it know what to look for  …. If varieties are what you want to get into start studying Morgan dollar varieties or Indian cent varieties will keep you busy busy for long time 

a lot newer folks getting into the hobby are jumping right in “error coin collecting” … I myself been collecting 30+ years I have no intention or desire to even look for error coins ! I get it there’s a lot misinformation out there pulling in new people to hobby looking for error coins in their pocket change is like chasing a ghost ! It doesn’t exist that easily … our hobby is being mocked like all of us older collectors are I-D-I-O-T-S don’t know how to strike it rich with basic pocket change!!!! Books already been written in past by well know authors who studied coins and patterns and errors over the years … please stay away from newer books being written to day all full of misinformation … we are passionate about our hobby turns into a lifelong obsession! Anyone who’s in it just to get Rich ??? They have no respect for our hobby nor history of our hobby it’s not about getting rich at all 

Edited by Jason Abshier

On 3/23/2024 at 5:59 AM, Jason Abshier said:

our hobby is being mocked like all of us older collectors are I-D-I-O-T-S don’t know how to strike it rich with basic pocket change!!!!

Word. I especially love the approach of "So do you have any actual knowledge and experience, or are you some wiseacre just blurting whatever? I've been on Youtube, you know! Don't take me lightly! I've read a crappy book!"

One thing I've learned is that anyone who starts disrespectful has shown us who they are. We should believe them. If they are rude when just introducing themselves, we can expect them to be themselves going forward and it's unfair and unrealistic to expect anything else, so I just block them on the spot to remind myself not to engage. It never seems to occur to them how many of the Stupid Old Fogeys simply tune them out and never bother to help them again. There's never any point in arguing with that mentality.

On 3/23/2024 at 12:00 PM, JKK said:

.... There's never any point in arguing with that mentality.

I don't believe I have ever stooped to their level, but I cheat. I kill 'em with kindness.  🤣