• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1988 - P Jefferson Nickel ODM with precarious 2 and 6 under microscope (coincidence damage)?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hi,your photo is too far away to make even the basic design features.  When you post a coin, it is necessary to provide clear, properly aligned (right side up, not sideways or upside down), cropped photos of both the obverse and reverse.  If there is any area of the coin that needs close examination, then you can add clear, non-pixelated images of the area in question.  Based on the title, I am a bit confused, your photo is of a 1988p Nickel, but you indicate in the title that the "2 & 6" seem "precarious".  I was not aware of a 2 & 6 being present on a 1988p Nickel.  Best bet is to get the clear, closer photos and we can go from there. 

I would also like to provide you with a blanket statement that could be more of a warning label for fledgling coin collectors.  Varieties/errors produced by the US Mint are not as common as YouTube, Ebay, Esty, etc. . .  claim they are.  The valuable varieties/errors are valuable for a reason, because they are extremely rare.  Take, for instance, the 1992 Close AM variety.  There where effectively 9,100,000,000 (BILLION) 1992 cents minted.  Out of that minuscule amount only about 200-300, have been found & graded, and 300 is probable too generous, it is probably closer to 200.  Coins have been produced for thousands of years and during that time, billions of bored, desperate, and creative people have found innumerable ways to deface a coin.  The saying: "the simplest answer is also the best" fits very well for coin collectors.  Most odd, strange, or precarious features on a coin are usually the result of post-mint damage (PMD).  After scouring through 20-30k coins, you will begin to realize the futility of "expecting" to find a billion dollar baby.  I at least, will state that I have come to that realization, but it took me 40k.  I am a slow learner sometimes.

Edited by cobymordet
The Devil made me do it. . . I promise. . .

On 3/22/2024 at 11:41 AM, cobymordet said:

...  There where effectively 9,100,000,000 (BILLION) 1992 cents minted....

Put another way, you've got a helluva better chance, 1 in 300 million, of winning the Powerball or Mega Millions jackpot...

On 3/22/2024 at 11:41 AM, cobymordet said:

....  Based on the title, I am a bit confused, your photo is of a 1988p Nickel, but you indicate in the title that the "2 & 6" seem "precarious".  I was not aware of a 2 & 6 being present on a 1988p Nickel....

On the Instagram post, I am guessing the "2 & 6" refers to areas which would correlate to the hands of a clock, but it is unclear, at least to me, what if anything may be found there beyond the normal wear and tear that is expected to be seen on a coin that has been in circulation for 36 years.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Add missing word.

On 3/22/2024 at 11:36 AM, Henri Charriere said:

On the Instagram post, I am guessing the "2 & 6" refers to areas which would correlate to the hands of a clock, but it is unclear, at least to me, what if anything may be found there beyond the normal wear and tear that is expected to be seen on a coin that has been circulation for 36 years.

lol, how dare you speak so logically.  Unacceptable sir, unacceptable.