• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sacagawea 2000-P 1$ Coin with graffiti (Y-cut on tail of eagle)
1 1

36 posts in this topic

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4wdVFILJrjOLalowGi1k8z1SjNYTzOq7DcUPY0/

Hey! Just had a question... is this graffiti? This sure awfully looks like it. I was told by two appraisers that this is coin strike damage but it is too perfect to be considered just coin damage. Is this worth getting appraised? I swear on my life I did not do this and for the record I was born in 2000 myself.

Hiya, clear and cropped photos will be required to further investigate concerns.  If you are taking your coins to appraisers, hopefully their credentials should give you the impression of their qualification to provide relatively accurate assessments of coins.  Like this forum, people have differing opinions, but usually all will come to a similar agreement.  Virtually all coins get dinged up in the process of production and in circulation, one could multiply that infinitely.  Like clouds in the sky, I have stared cross-eyed at cons and saw some interesting "anomalies".  It is best to ALWAYS assume that what you may see on a coin is most likely (definitely) Post Mint Damage.  I will always recommend that you post good photos here to hope for the best, but please expect the worst.  

Hello and welcome!

I note a lack of responses to your query. That is probably due to the fact that most of the volunteers on here will not click on links. I myself are one of them. I simply cannot trust links provided in this digital age of malware and cyber security so I don't click on them. If you post pictures instead of a link, I am sure you will get more responses to your question.

On 3/22/2024 at 4:09 PM, powermad5000 said:

Hello and welcome!

I note a lack of responses to your query. That is probably due to the fact that most of the volunteers on here will not click on links. I myself are one of them. I simply cannot trust links provided in this digital age of malware and cyber security so I don't click on them. If you post pictures instead of a link, I am sure you will get more responses to your question.

🐓:  Hey Q, get a load o' dis!  The same guy who said he don't want dross out there, shrinks from links!  There are more links on this Forum than there are winks from the Sphinx.

Q.A.:  Not to worry, Power guy.  I test-drove the missing link, and guess what I found: an invitation to join Instagram.  Ain't happenin'. End of post.  :sumo:

On 3/22/2024 at 10:42 PM, Henri Charriere said:

🐓:  Hey Q, get a load o' dis!  The same guy who said he don't want dross out there, shrinks from links!  There are more links on this Forum than there are winks from the Sphinx.

Q.A.:  Not to worry, Power guy.  I test-drove the missing link, and guess what I found: an invitation to join Instagram.  Ain't happenin'. End of post.  :sumo:

How many old farts did it take to screw in a lightbulb? One because the other refused to see the light of day. 

No need to bash me for trying to spread info that I thought would be applicable to a post that is made for questions like I had. But thanks for making it seem like I’m some hack that is gonna hack your stuff. 😭😭

On 3/23/2024 at 1:44 PM, Mustacheman said:

No need to bash me .... 😭😭

Not to worry, Mustache pete.  My intemperate broadside was launched at the Power guy.  Just making light of the good sport who strongly detests counterfeits and evidently shrinks from opening links. I am not risk-averse, so I did the footwork for him, jumped right onto the link, and found Instagram. No way I am going to join up, free or not, to view some fuzzy image of a coin.  (thumbsu

Don't take it so personal.

I've been hacked about 4 times and what it ended up showing me was on all but the last time, it was something I did to open myself to it. The last time it happened to me, I am not sure what they were going after because I am just a worker bee who is very low on the wealth totem pole, but those had to be some real pros at it.

If it helps you understand better, I don't even open links from family. Once you get hacked several times, you kind of just go into a "lockdown" mode. It becomes an automatic trigger response.

On 3/23/2024 at 2:56 PM, Henri Charriere said:

My intemperate broadside was launched at the Power guy.  Just making light of the good sport who strongly detests counterfeits and evidently shrinks from opening links. I am not risk-averse, so I did the footwork for him,

Ha! I thought that to be directed my way.

We would have a better world minus the fakes. As we would have a better world minus many bad things. But the world is the way it is so I find it best to try to navigate around some things. Happy to see you HC doing the Norton or McAfee test run on it on my behalf. I appreciate your boldness to forge ahead into areas where I may not go myself! I will have to update my list of your endearing qualities that I find charming. :)

On 3/23/2024 at 4:09 PM, powermad5000 said:

.... I appreciate your boldness to forge ahead into areas where I may not go myself! I will have to update my list of your endearing qualities that I find charming. :)

@zadok :  Read it and weep!

@powermad5000 :  Here my virtues are extolled. Elsewhere (not mentioning any names) I was likened to an S.T.D.  Imagine that! As Lady Astor once said: "Manners are everything." 

On 3/23/2024 at 5:18 PM, Jason Abshier said:

No picture of the coin ? You expect us give you a decent opinion ? 

There is. On Instagram. A bit fuzzy-wuzzy, but it's there.

On 3/23/2024 at 5:24 PM, Henri Charriere said:

There is. On Instagram. A bit fuzzy-wuzzy, but it's there.

I don’t do instagram! Post a picture on here …. Not hard use a phone then crop the picture post it on here 

On 3/23/2024 at 6:16 PM, Jason Abshier said:

I don’t do instagram! Post a picture on here …. Not hard use a phone then crop the picture post it on here 

Jason, Jason, Jason...  "You talkin' to me?  I don't see nobody else around."

Seriously. the OP posted a link to a page from Instagram in his opening post.  Have you been following this thread? If you dare to tap the link you will be directed to Instagram. Is the coin featured therein the OPs?  Can he take a picture of something he may not have?  I dare not ask!

On 3/23/2024 at 6:24 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Jason, Jason, Jason...  "You talkin' to me?  I don't see nobody else around."

Seriously. the OP posted a link to a page from Instagram in his opening post.  Have you been following this thread? If you dare to tap the link you will be directed to Instagram. Is the coin featured therein the OPs?  Can he take a picture of something he may not have?  I dare not ask!

Yes indeed I tapped the link right after I posted to you …. That picture looked like it was take 5 feet Away 

On 3/23/2024 at 6:32 PM, Jason Abshier said:

Yes indeed I tapped the link right after I posted to you …. That picture looked like it was take 5 feet Away 

From a memorable line (from a movie, the name of which I cannot recall) "Are you a Mexi-CAN or a Mexi-CAN'T?"  I have never tapped a bad link, but as they say, Never say Never! 🤣

Please note that the term "graffiti" is the term used to describe post-mint damage resulting from someone scratching initials, numbers, or "doodles" on a coin. It generally would greatly reduce the coin's desirability and value to collectors.  

I looked at the photos but couldn't figure out how to zoom in on the images, assuming it is possible to do so, to get any idea of what if any anomaly on the coin you are making reference.  If you can post photos on Instagram, you should be able to do so here.  Your photos don't have to be of professional quality but should be take "head on", cropped to show only the coin and be sufficiently clear to enable us to offer reasonable opinions on your question.  Here are examples, a 2001-P Sacagawea dollar that PCGS graded MS 68 and which exhibits no die variety or mint error:

2001-Pdollarobv..thumb.jpg.428088f3e397f721785d990f46144030.jpg

2001-Pdollarrev..thumb.jpg.968562aaf0de81e3e1c514ce12790474.jpg

Well, there has been a development on my end here @Henri Charriere!!!! My phone just requested to download an app called Norton Genie.

With it, all I have to do is take a picture of the screen, and the AI feature of the app will check and test the link for me and let me know if it is safe or not.

For the future, you do not have to compromise your own security on my behalf as I now have AI on my side! I can now safely go to links if I so choose. It is a bright, new day over here!

Don't worry, though, I will always remember your act of kindness putting yourself at risk on my behalf. Now if I could only locate that last Rooster you need...

On 3/23/2024 at 5:23 PM, Henri Charriere said:

@zadok :  Read it and weep!

@powermad5000 :  Here my virtues are extolled. Elsewhere (not mentioning any names) I was likened to an S.T.D.  Imagine that! As Lady Astor once said: "Manners are everything." 

...as forrest said...s-t-u-p-i-d is as s-t-u-p-i-d does...u have none, i stand by that likening n u definitely know nothing of the last...all in time....

On 3/22/2024 at 11:59 AM, cobymordet said:

Hiya, clear and cropped photos will be required to further investigate concerns.  If you are taking your coins to appraisers, hopefully their credentials should give you the impression of their qualification to provide relatively accurate assessments of coins.  Like this forum, people have differing opinions, but usually all will come to a similar agreement.  Virtually all coins get dinged up in the process of production and in circulation, one could multiply that infinitely.  Like clouds in the sky, I have stared cross-eyed at cons and saw some interesting "anomalies".  It is best to ALWAYS assume that what you may see on a coin is most likely (definitely) Post Mint Damage.  I will always recommend that you post good photos here to hope for the best, but please expect the worst.  

On 3/22/2024 at 4:09 PM, powermad5000 said:

Hello and welcome!

On 3/22/2024 at 4:15 PM, Greenstang said:

This is a duplicate post.  
Posted this one Wednesday evening and reposted Thursday morning.

On 3/22/2024 at 5:38 PM, Coinbuf said:

Well that explains a lot.  :roflmao:

On 3/23/2024 at 7:24 PM, Sandon said:

Please note that the term "graffiti" is the term used to describe post-mint damage resulting from someone scratching initials, numbers, or "doodles" on a coin. It generally would greatly reduce the coin's desirability and value to collectors.  

I looked at the photos but couldn't figure out how to zoom in on the images, assuming it is possible to do so, to get any idea of what if any anomaly on the coin you are making reference.  If you can post photos on Instagram, you should be able to do so here.  Your photos don't have to be of professional quality but should be take "head on", cropped to show only the coin and be sufficiently clear to enable us to offer reasonable opinions on your question.  Here are examples, a 2001-P Sacagawea dollar that PCGS graded MS 68 and which exhibits no die variety or mint error:

2001-Pdollarobv..thumb.jpg.428088f3e397f721785d990f46144030.jpg

2001-Pdollarrev..thumb.jpg.968562aaf0de81e3e1c514ce12790474.jpg

The coin in question in much better photo detail

7E9C94D7-5730-4842-9227-DA3F81D849D6.jpeg

AF4A0A99-8E4B-4005-BA5F-9B07FCC50AB5.jpeg

A8629409-D489-4778-9629-C80C8D851042.jpeg

On 3/24/2024 at 1:16 PM, Coinbuf said:

PMD.

Do you think it was PMD while inside the Mint? I have had this coin for a long time and my mother at times collected coins too and she shopped in Walmart around the time they came out. And even if it was done inside the Mint… would that increase the value or decrease due to it solely being PMD?

On 3/24/2024 at 12:30 PM, zadok said:

...as forrest said...s-t-u-p-i-d is as s-t-u-p-i-d does...u have none, i stand by that likening n u definitely know nothing of the last...all 

If you wish to conduct a personal vendetta, do so on your own thread. This is another member's Topic. Posting disparaging and demeaning comments on other members' threads is rude and disrespectful.  Respect the rights of others; observe the Guidelines. As our Dena put it:  "Be nice or Be gone."

On 3/24/2024 at 10:24 AM, Mustacheman said:

Do you think it was PMD while inside the Mint? I have had this coin for a long time and my mother at times collected coins too and she shopped in Walmart around the time they came out. And even if it was done inside the Mint… would that increase the value or decrease due to it solely being PMD?

PMD is PMD it doesn't matter where it happens the coin received that gouge somewhere along its journey, where it happened is totally irrelevant.

On 3/24/2024 at 12:24 PM, Mustacheman said:

Do you think it was PMD while inside the Mint?

PMD is Post Mint Damage.  Generally meant to refer to damage caused after the coin was produced.  Although coins get nicked and dinged up in processing/packaging, the impact you see was not created during the minting process.  The damage you see on your coin will not add any value to it.  Unfortunately, it will tend to reduce value. Distracting marks are not aesthetically pleasing.  

Thank you for the photo updates here. Very helpful! (thumbsu

As others have stated that is post mint damage. The eagle took a hit on the tail.

Post mint damage = less value.

Mint error for strike through = more value.

This on your coin is not a strike through error as those do not have the appearance as there is on the coin you have posted here. I can see on your coin along the edges of the hit where there is metal piled up at the edge from the impact of whatever did the damage. Strike through errors do not have this metal piled along the edge of the defect and some strike throughs even have some of the detail faintly showing from the strike in some cases. On your coin, I also can see other hits from circulation although not as large of a hit as on the eagles tail.

In the case of this dollar, there were many collectors saving these coins singularly and by the roll when they first came out. Superior examples are readily available and for low cost as many were saved in mint state. With the circulation hits and the minor "chatter" in the fields on both sides of your coin, I would say it is worth face value.

On 3/24/2024 at 3:54 PM, cobymordet said:

PMD is Post Mint Damage.  Generally meant to refer to damage caused after the coin was produced.  Although coins get nicked and dinged up in processing/packaging, the impact you see was not created during the minting process.  The damage you see on your coin will not add any value to it.  Unfortunately, it will tend to reduce value. Distracting marks are not aesthetically pleasing.  

On 3/24/2024 at 4:20 PM, powermad5000 said:

Thank you for the photo updates here. Very helpful! (thumbsu

As others have stated that is post mint damage. The eagle took a hit on the tail.

Post mint damage = less value.

Mint error for strike through = more value.

This on your coin is not a strike through error as those do not have the appearance as there is on the coin you have posted here. I can see on your coin along the edges of the hit where there is metal piled up at the edge from the impact of whatever did the damage. Strike through errors do not have this metal piled along the edge of the defect and some strike throughs even have some of the detail faintly showing from the strike in some cases. On your coin, I also can see other hits from circulation although not as large of a hit as on the eagles tail.

In the case of this dollar, there were many collectors saving these coins singularly and by the roll when they first came out. Superior examples are readily available and for low cost as many were saved in mint state. With the circulation hits and the minor "chatter" in the fields on both sides of your coin, I would say it is worth face value.

What I’m truly stumped about is how it got there still. Even if it isn’t as aesthetically pleasing to some collectors it might be to the right collector as from what was described by powermad5000. After having looked at it again with his notes it does seem to show that another coin hit it directly on the tail. The probability of this happening as perfectly as it did is slim to none. It reminded me of certain fiction novels or stories where hawks would be depicted to have a wounded tail in that exact shape, hence why it is kind of cool it ended up like that. 

but… as I have discovered in this “trade”, this coin is PMD and nothing more. I think it looks really cool though overall. 

On 3/24/2024 at 3:38 PM, Mustacheman said:

I think it looks really cool though overall. 

And that sir, is the point of collecting coins.  If you like it, you can collect it.  There are trillions of coins out there, go crazy, but try not to go broke!

On 3/24/2024 at 1:34 PM, Henri Charriere said:

If you wish to conduct a personal vendetta, do so on your own thread. This is another member's Topic. Posting disparaging and demeaning comments on other members' threads is rude and disrespectful.  Respect the rights of others; observe the Guidelines. As our Dena put it:  "Be nice or Be gone."

...as you respected ol' hoopster...yea i will remember that...all in time....

Edited by zadok