• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quarter error
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I got this quarter I've searched everywhere I'm wondering I'm pretty new at this been collecting error coins and this fellow im excited about is this a transitional error. I'm amazed Everytime I look at it please help me 🤣it's a 2093 Arkansas quarter with Jesse wrote on it both sides it's three different metals where it looks like copper it's gold color then bright silver color and another dull color on luke a cud both sides have gold coloring i found 3 coins that have jesse on it eagles but sure lights like a Xmas tree under light very shiny

PXL_20240305_043304659~3.jpg

PXL_20240310_041204699.jpg

PXL_20240311_024326311~2.jpg

PXL_20240310_200254407.jpg

PXL_20240310_041204699.jpg

PXL_20240310_200254407.jpg

The coin has been counterstamped, likely by someone named Jesse.  Not an error just damaged but still worth 25 cents.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Your 2003-D Arkansas State quarter does not exhibit a mint error. After the coin left the mint, someone took punches with letters and a hammer and punched the name "JESSE" into the coin. This is known as a "counterstamp". The coin has also become somewhat discolored due to environmental exposure. Although some much older (most often early to mid-nineteenth century) U.S. coins that are counterstamped with the names of contemporary merchants or their products have a following among certain collectors, a modern coin stamped with a random name is just a mutilated coin worth only face value.

Contrary to what you may have read or seen on certain websites, you are actually extremely unlikely to find any significant mint error or other coin of substantial value in your change. I have been collecting and studying U.S. coins and checking change for over 50 years and have never found any coin with more than a few dollars and know only one person who ever found a significant mint error.  In 2002 the mint adopted procedures that prevent most major errors from ever leaving the mint, making it even more unlikely that you could find such an error from after that date.

Mint errors are an advanced area of numismatics (the study and collection of coins). If you are interested in collecting U.S. coins, you must first acquire basic knowledge, such as the history and types of U.S. coins, how coins are made, and the grading and basic authentication of coins.  Please see the following forum topics for trustworthy print and online resources that will enable you to obtain the necessary knowledge:

This coin has a low level of environmental damage, and was counterstamped with the letters JESSE which appears to be from individual letters hammered into the coin as they are not level across as would be in a stamp set more professionally with the lettering even at the bases and tops. I also see on the reverse of your quarter the circular damage from a coin roll wrapping machine.

The coloring you are seeing is due to the breakdown of the copper-nickel clad layer from environmental damage which is allowing some of the copper core to show through giving it a yellowish tone.