• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is "Natural" or "Original" Toning as Opposed to "Artificial" Toning?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

When I began collecting U.S. coins as an older child in the early 1970s, most collectors preferred coins that were brilliant and avoided coins that had changed in color from chemical reactions with substances in the environments to which they had been exposed.  Changes in color on silver and copper nickel coins were generally referred to as "tarnish" or "discoloration", and coins were regularly "dipped" in anti-tarnish solutions or "cleaned" to give them a brilliant, though usually not original looking, appearance.  By the 1990s, however, collectors had come to understand that such changes are often inevitable and that dipping or "cleaning" a coin is likely to do harm rather than good.  Many collectors came to regard what began to be called "toning" as a positive characteristic, especially if colorful. Nowadays, toned coins often realize premium prices, including some with heavy, dark toning that I regard as ugly. 

Inevitably, some unscrupulous persons began to treat coins with chemicals, blow smoke on them, and the like, to produce rapid changes in the appearance of coins that simulated the toning that occurs over time. Grading services claim to be able to tell the difference between "natural" or "original" and "artificial toning" and "details" grade coins determined to be in the latter category, with NGC describing such coins as "artificially toned" and PCGS using a less certain description of "questionable color". I have never read any satisfactory account of how "natural" and "artificial" toning can always be told apart, nor for that matter, just what processes that result in toning are to be regarded as "natural" rather than "artificial".  For example, some older coin albums, such as those sold by Wayte Raymond during the second quarter of the last century, are known to promote distinctive patterns of toning on coins, and coins that were stored in such albums are often considered to have desirable "album toning". Yet if someone deliberately stores coins in such albums with the intent to create this type of toning, should the toning be considered "artificial" or "natural", and how could anyone tell the difference anyway?

In or about 1974 an uncle of mine accompanied me at a coin show. He had a casual interest in coins and purchased for $4 an 1889 Morgan dollar that was then fully brilliant, untoned and perhaps previously "dipped", a "slider" that would now be called AU 58 or perhaps low-end mint state though not fully struck.  My uncle liked to look at the coin from time to time and left it lying unprotected on a windowsill for an extended period.  He was fascinated by the gradual changes in color on the side of the coin that was exposed to the open air and periodically turned the coin over to make the toning more even. By the time I received it about 35 years later, this once "white" coin looked like this:

1889toneddollarobv..thumb.jpg.a35209de76bfbbfa3807599f28f33774.jpg

1889toneddollarrev..thumb.jpg.fb20e11ff60143efc4408ebc9df03a29.jpg

Dealers and collectors to whom I have shown this coin have differed over whether a grading service would regard the toning pattern as "natural" or "artificial".  What do you think?  How does your knowing that someone deliberately allowed the coin to tone affect your opinion?

I would think natural toning of a coin would be less formed.  That may not make sense because I can't seem to find the right word.  Your coin, the OBV has a clear outer ring and the REV has a clear ring separating center from rim, it seems unnatural to me.  I get what causes toning, but I can't fathom how it presents on many coins.  Like snowflakes, no two seem alike.  I do like some of the toning I have seen on various coins but I suspect nearly everyone of them to be artificial.  I have a few naturally toned coins and mine seem very minimal as opposed to many coins like the coin you presented.  The more pronounced, the less I believe. . . and I want to believe!  I have played with artificial toning and it got ridiculous.  I have also found that some methods of cleaning a coin creates a toning of sorts.  I don't think I would spend good money on a raw coin with fanatical toning, maybe on a high TPG graded coin.  I would love to post some of my toners but I can't get an adequate angle to capture it.

By your account, the coin had lain on a window sill for 15 years.  This much we do know: that coin did NOT reside on any such sill of a window within the five boroughs of New York City. But we face a far greater, insurmountable obstacle in rendering an opinion:  I do not know how much our Grand Master knows about such matters, but he is waiting in the wings ready to pounce on anyone who can go beyond mere conjecture and state conclusively, without a shadow of a doubt, exactly what happened in the case of your coin absent not-up-for-debate, conclusive proof. Consequently, any idle comment I may or may not have an inclination to express, shall have to await until he has spoken, ex cathedra, after which I can come out of hiding, and state with complete confidence: I agree... [for any number of credible reasons I can think of at a moment's notice].   :whistle:

Edited by Henri Charriere
Correct misspelling

"Natural" or "original" tarnish occurs without intentional human intervention. Anything else, even if not augmented by human manipulation, is "artificial." The quandary is distinguishing one from the other - especially when it involves incidental circumstances. (I.e., silver coin wrapped in a napkin and given to you by Grandma for your birthday, and a silver coin wrapped in a napkin by a collector to enhance appearance. If both Grandma and collector are the same, well, have some warm gingerbread and let her 'splain it to you.)

On 3/12/2024 at 1:53 PM, RWB said:

"Natural" or "original" tarnish occurs without intentional human intervention. Anything else, even if not augmented by human manipulation, is "artificial." ....

Very well put.  I can confidently state I agree, and am in complete accord.  ;)

In my opinion. If a coin is toned or as we used to say tarnished it should only be on one side and maybe on a small bit of the edge on the other side. If it is toned on both sides, I tend to think it is artificial.

Edited by J P M

There seems to be some consensus that any toning that is created intentionally, even if gradually, is "artificial" but no agreement as to how one can distinguish such toning from the "natural" kind based upon examination of the coin after the fact.  This shouldn't be very reassuring to anyone who may be willing to pay a premium for a coin because of its toning, which is why I would be very reluctant to pay such a premium.

Here is an 1887-S Morgan dollar graded MS62 in an early small ANACS holder from about 1989-90, when ANACS was still owned by the American Numismatic Association. (The background of the label is printed with "Official ANA Grade" and the hologram on the back reads, "American Numismatic Association".) The coin already had some toning when I acquired it in 1997, and the toning has become more intense since that time. (A crack on the side of the holder may be permitting air intrusion.) The toning is on both sides but considerably more advanced on the lower portion of the obverse. Presumably, this toning is "natural", but how could one tell for sure?

1887-Sdollarobv..thumb.jpg.fcf8e5fdeafcaa57443a759c670c2bc8.jpg

1887-Sdollarrev..thumb.jpg.df8b1db0771ed6aa246f7f0fa100d21f.jpg

I just started collecting seriously for about a year.  I originally thought toned coins were neat, which they are.  I just can’t justify spending additional money on them.  With a little knowledge from other hobbies.  I was able to buy a bottle of “stuff” for $15 that would probably last me two years of toning coins within about 10min each.  Nothing to do with coins.

Put things into perspective for me.  

Granted mine first couple look very crude and obviously fake.  I bet with a little patience you could get a coin to pass.  No longer a believer in toned coins.  More an art project than a collection for generations.  No, I’m not going to name products or methods, sorry.  Not in the buisness of generating fakes.  Just thought I would share my thoughts.

IMG_8258.jpeg

IMG_8260.jpeg

I use tarnish or toning as a lighthouse that guides me into the rest of the coin. Many times, nice coins develop a toning that is indicative to the toning being on the original surface of a very nice uncirculated coin. Just my 3 cents. If you haven't noticed many toned coins that are natural, get higher grades and it's not just from the colors or toning its from a coin that sat still for a long long time.