• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many graders does it take to grade a coin?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

This may seem like one of those questions preceded by a discreet inquiry, What is your religion? or Where are your parents (or grandparents) from? followed by an answer someone would find  offensive or inappropriate, but this is not a joke. It is a legitimate query.  When I became a member I automatically envisioned an assembly line of graders sitting at a long conference room table examining coins under table lamps.  What would your off-the-cuff answer be?

I thought NGC stood for Numismatic Gnome Conglomerate.  I read somewhere it began after the Lollipop Guild folded.  I would imagine certain people grade the same type of coin regularly and if an anomaly arises, they ask the head gnome for assistance.  Now I am curious to know how many gnomes it takes to change a light bulb.  I would also add that if there is such a wait for grading coins, then it must be a short assembly line. 

The answer to your question is found right here on the website under the tab for coin grading. Here is an excerpt from that part of the grading process directly off the website here.

Grading is a team effort, with at least two professional numismatists examining every coin. To maintain impartiality, NGC's coin graders cannot be involved in the commercial buying and selling of coins. Each coin is examined by one NGC coin grader at a time, who enters the coin grade into the system.

Is this the old "Polish light bulb" joke?

It doesn't matter how many people are involved in grading a coin. What counts is: repeatable accuracy in applying fixed standards without regard to any external factors.

On 3/12/2024 at 3:05 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I thought both of the major TPGs used 3 people around a table. (thumbsu 

Nah --- that's the pizza break.

It takes at least 3 for every grading at a reputable TPGS. At basement slabbers, all it takes is one M-O-R-O-N. To my way of thinking there are 3 and 2 halves reputable TPGS firms. The whole ones are NGC, CACG, and, as much as it pains me, P¢g$. The half reputable, BOTH OF WHICH I HAVE USED ON RARE OCCASION, for valid reasons that took me more than 20 years to learn, are ANACS and ICG. 

Even though they are reputable, I have NEVER used either PCGS nor CACG, and I have no plans to use either. NGC fills all my needs in that space. 

Edited by VKurtB

Comment:  Had I known @powermad5000 was going to play hardball, I would have rephrased the question, "How many graders should it take..." but that option was quickly taken off the table by the stentorian voice of Roger the Elder who effectively thwarted my intent and demolished the thread, such is his standing, stating in so many words, "it doesn't matter." That had a chilling effect, I believe, on Newbies on whose behalf I posted the question on their dedicated Forum.

[Aside... It takes 23 members to make a grand jury. (A quorum of at least 16 who must be present and 12 to vote.)  It takes 12 jurors to enter a unanimous vote.

It takes 10 to make a minyan; 3 judges sitting en banc, on a Federal Court of Appeals bench; 3 to make a good marriage (per the three fold cord) and the 3 that bear witness. Elaborating is verboten and a violation of posted Guidelines.]

I know what the publicly available literature on the number of graders says, but with bulk submissions running amok, not to mention Monster boxes, and wildly undulating turn-around times, I suspect a disconnect between a nebulous number of graders contending with an ever-burgeoning volume. Is it even possible with rotating tours of duty absent round-the-clock operation?  How many minutes should a grader devote to a single submission?  What if it requires specialized knowledge, then what? Some professions require a license to practice law and medicine. Others, like journalists, do not. For members who feel two graders are sufficient to evaluate all of the world's coinage, I would suggest even three is insufficient, if not impossible. And for those who've bought into the two-man concept, kindly provide the rest of us with figures regarding how many graders total, are waiting in the wings on-deck, or on-call.

(Posted at the discretion of Moderation.)

On 3/12/2024 at 5:36 PM, Henri Charriere said:

"How many graders should it take..." but that option was quickly taken off the table by the stentorian voice of Roger the Elder who effectively thwarted my intent and demolished the thread, such is his standing, stating in so many words, "it doesn't matter." That had a chilling effect, I believe, on Newbies on whose behalf I posted the question on their dedicated Forum.

Sorry. Did not intend any harm nor to desecrate Quintus' memorial arch. (Others got it back on track very quickly !)

On 3/12/2024 at 5:52 PM, RWB said:

Sorry. Did not intend any harm nor to desecrate Quintus' memorial arch. (Others got it back on track very quickly !)

True.  No harm done.  

Ah, we get closer to the phrasing of the original question @Henri Charriere!!! 

If it was meant to be phrased as what is the total number of graders at all tables hired by NGC, I located the following quote on the website here.

NGC's team of more than 30 full time professional coin graders are led by some of the most experienced and trusted experts in the world.

I do believe, however, that I read something not too long ago that said they had hired more graders to keep up with current demands and are over 40 graders total employed.

Whilst my original response stated that two inspect every coin, I would hope it would be 3. I would like 3 sets of eyes to examine my coins and if they were to disagree, I'd be more comfortable with a 2-1 or 3-0 vote on the proposed grade.