• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 D small date zinc ddo/ddr cent RD
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Would you submit this coin to NGC for grading. If yes, what is the potential value or value if you know it. I've seen all sorts of values on this coin. Thank you in advance for your feed back.IMG_20240306_1638382.thumb.jpg.4d001902c4c9fa446ef11a3dd4b9ae43.jpgIMG_20240306_1639062.thumb.jpg.58892b52b546e13ddde7735bd761371a.jpg

The auction record for a 1982 d small date penny zinc comp is 18,000.00 or 18,800.00. why would this 1982 d small date penny be worth only 1 cent. I think that's hilarious... I said it was zinc comp in my post?

If you want to spend $55-60.00 having it graded, then that is up to you but I think you.  
will disappointed when you see the result. 

Based on your photos, I see no evidence that this coin has a doubled die obverse or reverse. NGC VarietyPlus lists no doubled die variety for the 1982-D small date zinc cent and generally will not attribute varieties not included in VarietyPlus. See Lincoln Cents, Memorial Reverse (1959-2008) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com) and Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com).  

Your coin has a number of nicks and scratches, as well as many plating blisters, that would preclude it receiving a high mint state grade. (The photos also show it as having a peculiar pinkish color, suggesting that it has been "cleaned".) Based on the NGC Price Guide, even a 1982-D small date zinc cent graded MS 67 RD, a solid gem, would only have a retail value of $40, still probably less than the total cost (grading, processing, and shipping, not including the $18 additional variety attribution fee) of submitting it to NGC. See Lincoln Cents, Memorial Reverse (1959-2008) | Price Guide & Values | NGC (ngccoin.com).  Such coins can often be purchased for well under list values. I purchased this 1984-D that NGC graded MS 67 RD, which is clearly better than your coin, for all of $7, well under the $25 NGC Price Guide Value, from a dealer's "cheap slab box" at a coin show:

S20221222_0001.thumb.jpg.f8f625b2d838d4fe62290db335865d5a.jpg

S20221222_0002.thumb.jpg.1e668442669dda407f95b450d9e80c46.jpg

The reason that you see incredibly high prices for coins like this in extremely high grades (MS 68 and 69 RD) is that hardly any coins issued for circulation receive such grades from grading services, and you must be highly experienced as a grader yourself before you would be able to make an informed judgment as to whether your coin would have a realistic chance of receiving such a grade.  Based on what I can see from your photos and my over 50 years of experience, your coin doesn't come anywhere near such a grade. If you insist on learning this the hard (and expensive) way, you are welcome to submit it.

There is NO SUCH THING as a new collector that has ANY BUSINESS comparing their own coins with high graded coins. Not only don’t new collectors have the ANSWERS, they can’t even fathom the right QUESTIONS. 

On 3/11/2024 at 8:23 AM, double ddo said:

The auction record for a 1982 d small date penny zinc comp is 18,000.00 or 18,800.00. why would this 1982 d small date penny be worth only 1 cent. I think that's hilarious... I said it was zinc comp in my post?

Show members the auction listing and final price.

Nothing you have posted is worth more than face value. Any of the inflated values are lies, or complete ignorant misunderstanding. If you are serious about learning about coins, then find a local coin club, attend meetings, and ask questions.

On 3/11/2024 at 12:18 PM, RWB said:

complete ignorant misunderstanding

That should be the name of this forum section.

The face of Lincoln is also damaged on this cent. Once a common cent like this gets damaged, its value plunges down to face value.