• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about Franklin half dollars

7 posts in this topic

Hello all!

I've been active on the NGC registry for the past three months and really enjoy writing descriptions about each coin in my collection. Anyhow after finishing my collection of American Silver Eagles I began collecting Franklin half dollars.

I've noticed with mint state Franklin half dollars that the visual beauty seems to get worse rather than better with higher grades. Sometimes a MS-67 Franklin is so dotted and toned it's almost black and nothing is clearly legible but somehow it gets a better rating than a beautiful specimen full of shine and luster and without any scratches or dings or dents or discoloration or blotches or milkspots. I find it unusual how often it's the case that the MS-62, 63, 64 and 65s seem to have fewer visual flaws than the more rare and much more expensive MS-66, 67, and 68s.

TL;DR- On eBay an unusual portion of the high-grade Franklins (MS66-68) look dirty, dotted with discoloration, almost as if they've been in circulation for decades. Yet many lower graded coins (MS63-65) look freshly minted, like great white gems twinkling with luster in the moonlight. What's the deal?

Hello!

This is something I have noticed myself since embarking on putting a full set of business strike Franklins together (i.e. no proofs) in minimum MS 64 FBL from all raw coins and submitted for grading. Most of my 64's and the few 65's I have are a bright shade of white. A few have some minor white spots on them but not enough to diminish the overall eye appeal. I have noted on many of the 66's and up that I have seen seem to have varying degrees of toning and colors, some fully toned on both sides in blue or black colors. I have also noticed to a lesser degree this same effect on Mercury dimes.

I cannot explain this and how it correlates to grades and especially higher grades as it is not like the lower grade 64's and 63's are getting details grades for cleaning. They are straight grading. I wish I had a good explanation for this but I do not.