• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 D Roosevelt Dime Reverse Subsistence
1 1

14 posts in this topic

This 1970 D Roosevelt Dime appears on the Reverse to have die subsistence colliding with RICA in America and the surrounding leaves.  Can you please confirm?

RDE003 Obverse.JPG

RDE003 Obverse Close Up.JPG

RDE003.JPG

I am going to guess you are referring to the substantive damage sustained by the coin sometime during its 50+ years in circulation.  It, to my untrained eye, appears to be nothing more and nothing less than inexplicable, garden variety PMD.  

On 3/6/2024 at 5:47 PM, Cary Coins said:

Oh, I get it. The field was inundated compromising the underpinning resulting in the subsiding of the surface.  My diagnosis still stands.

On 3/6/2024 at 3:47 PM, Cary Coins said:

Ok, as sandon noted your terminology is close but not correct which is confusing.   You coin may exhibit the effect of die subsidence, it could also be from localized high heat and other issues.  I'm not sure this can be solved from photos alone.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 3/6/2024 at 8:18 PM, Greenstang said:

It is also possible that it is a plating bubble.

Plating? What plating? It’s clad, not plated. We do cladding. Canada does plating. That doesn’t mean it couldn’t have been a torch heated bubble job, which is the most likely explanation. You could fall below the subsistence level waiting for that thought to subside. I’ll wait. 

On 3/6/2024 at 9:18 PM, Greenstang said:

It is also possible that it is a plating bubble.

I do not know the first thing about plating bubbles but what the bubble left behind was, by whatever term used, a depression or subsidence of the surface due to lack of sustenance resulting in bas-relief.  🤣

This is difficult to tell from the photos on a coin that has been circulating for 50+ years. It has had a long time circulating to be able to tell if it is actually the effect you see, or heat damage, or a localized spot of progressive indirect die transfer, or if that is from a good hit early on that has circulated and worn in a different fashion. This would have to be looked at with the coin in hand, and I don't think it could be determined from photos or even mag of the spot. Mag would probably make things worse here and really make it look like something it is not. I wish I could be more helpful on this, but this is a tough one from just photos.

On 3/7/2024 at 6:21 AM, Cary Coins said:

Thanks for all the replies.  The photos really can't do it justice as there is a significant area of bump on the reverse that doesn't appear well when photographed.  

If the field there is depressed, then one way to describe the phenomenon observed is an "inverted burial mound."

Note:  I hereby forfeit to NGC, and its subsidiaries, any claim I may have had as to intellectual property  rights to the term used.  :hi: